Is your ol' hometown RUINED? (Also: Nudism survey)

LaosLover

Better than average article about the tourist crush in Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/aug/17/wish-you-werent-here-how-tourists-are-ruining-the-worlds-greatest-destinations

What do you hear about this from where you came from? Asheville NC, my former home, now has 2 hour waits for chicken and waffles.

The article also cites nude beaches in Spain being overrun by pants-wearers. Have you ever been to a nude beach? Are there any avowed nudists or naturalists in this group?

My understanding: Nudists are naked for philosophical reasons, Naturalists for health reasons.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/aug/17/wish-you-werent-here-how-tourists-are-ruining-the-worlds-greatest-destinations

What do you hear about this from where you came from? Asheville NC, my former home, now has 2 hour waits for chicken and waffles.

The article also cites nude beaches in Spain being overrun by pants-wearers. Have you ever been to a nude beach? Are there any avowed nudists or naturalists in this group?

My understanding: Nudists are naked for philosophical reasons, Naturalists for health reasons.

More philosophically, isn't it because you show that you have a bigger queue than the others?

• Haha 1

It is fortunate that for the most part tourists only run on rails, crowding into the well known destinations. They are easily avoided by not setting up your home in those places. There are many nice places totally devoid of tourists . Find one to your liking and live there.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:52 PM, LaosLover said:

I used to know someone through facebook, who is an American expat that lived in Germany for 30 years before retiring and moving to Spain.   

He bragged that the town he lives in has a nude beach with young women on it.   I did not think it was such a big deal.  

I go about clothed when outside because of the skin cancers I get.   Waiting for an appointment for radiation therapy now, instead of a MOSE removal that cuts chunks of flesh from my body!  No nudism or naturalism for me!

Edited by radiochaser
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

To the title, hometown ruined - no, and quite the opposite.  Gentrified, for a suburban town, although, that comes with higher taxes & govt telling you how to live.  Must cut grass, what, when & how you live .... NO THANKS

To the big Dem run city, Philly, PA, USA, it is a suburb or, that I loved to visit, weekly, is now over run w/homeless & crime is rampant.  Or so I read & brothers tells me.  Nobody bothers going into any more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

To the title, hometown ruined - no, and quite the opposite.  Gentrified, for a suburban town, although, that comes with higher taxes & govt telling you how to live.  Must cut grass, what, when & how you live .... NO THANKS

To the big Dem run city, Philly, PA, USA, it is a suburb or, that I loved to visit, weekly, is now over run w/homeless & crime is rampant.  Or so I read & brothers tells me.  Nobody bothers going into any more.

When I lived in new jersey it was referred to as 'Philthydelphia'. That was in the late 60's and I doubt it's gotten better.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

My old hometown of Leicester (UK) was ruined by the time I was a teenager. Totally overrun by immigrants that do not assimilate.  Not really a tourist or nudism hotspot either....

How very dare you! but true, also from that dump, now a white minority city with over 70 mosques. Nobody voted for it none wanted it, a culture replaced. It's a wonder Victoria park has not been renamed George Floyd park or Gandhi gardens yet. Here's Spinney Hill park, a mile or so from where Simon and I lived in Stoneygate

Edited by proton
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

When I lived in new jersey it was referred to as 'Philthydelphia'. That was in the late 60's and I doubt it's gotten better.

I thought it was a great city, with great neighborhoods, with a couple exceptions.

One of best food towns, entertainment & sports town.

Just big enough, with easy access from where I grew up, walk a mere 0.2 miles away, and I could get to anywhere in the world (after the airport line was put in)

20 minute train ride to/from 'downtown'

image.png.8e131cac14ff6762c38a724a68a6f16d.png

That's a bit rich for Jerseyites considering Trenton, Camden & Newark ????

Princeton & Lambertville were pretty cool, as I spent a lot of time there.  Lived in Hightstown, when I worked at Newark airport.

Philly, a steady downhill slide since 2008.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I thought it was a great city, with great neighborhoods,

I go to Philly every other year and stay in Chinatown.

Thai food: respectable (No one reading this eats Thai when they visit home).

Burmese food: fair (but C'mon, at least they have Burmese food -in a room that hasn't changed in 40 years).

Malaysian: 2 good options (heavy, heavy peanut sauce. Roti as entree? Why not?).

Chinese: North East USA Chinese food is it's own thing, the king of all Chinese food (would kill for Schezuan in CM -only available at The Shangri-la, but it's proper Schezuan. I want Upper West Side of Manhattan-Schezuan).

Can't fault it, I think of it as Boston on a budget (due to all the old Revolutionary War stuff etc.). And they have a Gaughan painting. A good one.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I go to Philly every other year and stay in Chinatown. Thai: respectable. Burmese food: fair. Malaysian: 2 good options. Chinese: North East USA Chinese food is it's own thing, the king of all Chinese food.

Can't fault it, I think of it as Boston on a budget (due to all the old Revolutionary War stuff etc.). And they have a Gaughan painting. A good one.

The Barnes Foundation, being one of the best private art collections in the world. 

Philly Art Museum was Ok also.  For a little city, it packed a lot in.

Edited by KhunLA

27 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I go to Philly every other year and stay in Chinatown.

I get the hong kong phooey cheez WIT when i go!

Yes my home is ruined---by Maga and Trump--add in the mass shootings

Naked dudes..I worked at a private campground that held events for specialty themes

music--hippie stuff..fetish groups(some girl wanted to be in a trash bag and be in the dumpster) and i went to interview one day and was hired..i arrived the next day to 300 naked dudes...

Was the IMEN week  international men enjoying nature....def caught me off guard..there were judges there..some guy that help design social security plan...all over the country....for a week

but have to say the oddest part was the last day when they were all dressed....born free!

saw many falafel balls that week...and frank n beans!.....some things u just cant unsee

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The Barnes Foundation, being one of the best private art collections in the world. 

Philly Art Museum was Ok also.  For a little city, it packed a lot in.

Eastern State Prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   got some odd glowing orbs when i took a night tour!

• Like 1

In certain remote areas of the US, the puritanism is quite similar with that in the muslim nations. Quite a hypocrisy as most will be at church on Sunday and in a stripper club on Monday,  miles away from home during the business trip.

Same for muslim nations with their absurd social codes,  that are totally discarded when abroad. Religion is a matter of inner belief and nothing to do with any external dieties or forms of preaching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Yes my home is ruined---by Maga and Trump--add in the mass shootings

saw many falafel balls

We had a confederate flag rally at Walmart. I was skeptical. No double-way would vanilla-Walmart allow that. But it was only one guy.

He was our neighbor. He offered us a free bible, but we'd already taken 2 off of him. In Trump Trash Land, the ettiquette is that you can turn down a third bible. And a yard sign.

Fair play tho, I never met a red neck who hadn't used the ultra thing pages of a bible to roll a spliff, often in recent memory.

We had naming rights on the long road up to our house. We told everyone we were going to name it Martin Luther King Boulevard. The strained politeness was sweet to milk to the max.

But we're on the road to Dollywood. So our hometown has been fairly ruined for decades.

Philly lives in the falafel shadow of New York, like every other non-Israel destination (except for Pai). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, swerve said:

Everywhere sucks now compared to a few decades ago.  There is too many people (everywhere).

Kind of liking where we are, and most changes in the past 20 years have been for the better, and why we are here.

Guessing you're loving all the tourist returning ????

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Guessing you're loving all the tourist returning ????

Def back in Nimman. You have to book stuff like a mani/pedi or a real massage for the weekend.

We like it a little full. Every is on vacation here. Just a great, cheery vibe.

Just now, KhunLA said:

I def do that riff after I tell them I was kidding.

No way is Chris Rock a known entity in Bible-land. I can claim it as my own bit.

And after I tell them I was kidding, I tell them the real new street name will be Malcom X Avenue. 

They don't remember who Malcom X was, but whoever he was they're against him.

Excuse me, I mean A-gin him.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

Totally overrun by immigrants that do not assimilate.  Not really a tourist or nudism hotspot either....

Immigrants need one generation to assimilate. It has proven in the USA for every wave of immigrants and for the first time in American history and also in the human history, 10% CEOs are first generation Indian Americans. First generation Indian Americans, they were not born in America, they were educated in schools where most teachers are native speakers and now control fortune 100 companies. This has not happened in the entire human history.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

11 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

for the first time in American history and also in the human history, 10% CEOs are first generation Indian Americans. 

Unless they hold dual citizenship, they are Americans.

And I just saw this ...

image.png.1e4842ba53f6df783376ade9574a6120.png

It says in the linked article that the Digital Nomads are polyamorous.

Tourists have always reminded me of sewer rats scurrying around.

And so, if these tourists and digital nomads are polyamorous,

Then they probably are breeding like rats, too.

Soon the world will be overrun with this vermin.

This is why I never go out (or rarely).

Concerning the nudity, I never wear clothes in my house.

I find clothing too restricting while I am typing....

Usually I type with my hands, because hands are faster.

But sometimes, I don't.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1