Misled by phishing email (was £10,000 for a tourist visa now?)

30 minutes ago, patman30 said:

your surnames do not match or her surname on cert marriage does not match her surname on ID?
it seems like you are confusing this bit
as my wife and i have different surnames as do many married expats

Nothing matches now bud, her passport Id are now different, well her Thai passport i should of said her UK one is still in my family name. Thanks byt the way for trying to help.

Ive just been informed that the email i was sent is a scam a phishing email. I only applied yesterday afternoon how the heck did they operate so fast?

I would of fallen for it too if it wasn't for BritTim on here, wow I'm glad he's here

• Love It 1

44 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

2x a year by LAND...unlimited by AIR until immig starts to ask questions why so many

Thanks, but if I get it right one needs to fly out and come back for each "extension" ? What about if you are already in the country on the normal 30 day and with to extend without having to fly out - how many times can that be extended without leaving ? thanks

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Thanks, but if I get it right one needs to fly out and come back for each "extension" ? What about if you are already in the country on the normal 30 day and with to extend without having to fly out - how many times can that be extended without leaving ? thanks

You can extend once per entry.

Rather than flying out, twice a year, you are allowed to leave and re-enter by land.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewelve said:

Hey Dan O thanks for the advice but i cant print off my phone and was told by Lloyds this morning it is now illegal their words not mine. I not trying to put blocks up i want a solution bud. 

Impulse, i want to stay longer than 30 days bud and there is a limit i think twice yes? that you can go into the country without a visa or was that the rule last week.

In The Jungle, mate im not having you on i sent a copy of the reply i got this morning above.

If you have email you should be able to download it and send it to your email and then print it from there. Most banks have stopped the screen shots for scam prevention but it doesn't affect downloads. You could also use a computer to do the same thing. 

52 minutes ago, ewelve said:

I can hear you, but i called the bank this morning and they informed me that a home computer is not the same as a mobile phone regarding downloading of documents. I will get my kids to try...

Civil Servants can only follow processes,  yes you've got ample funds, but not in their opinion, in the correct boxes.

As David Walliams aptly put it in Little Britain, "Computer says no".

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Regyai said:

The simple alternative is stick two fingers up to the hoop jumping nonsense, breeze in on a 30 visa exemption stamp and extend it for a further 30days in country without any of the bally-hoo/bull shine

Could go one further and get a 90 day visa for Vietnam with no such requirements.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Many phishing attacks can be very convincing. Fortunately, on this occasion, while they were aware of your email address they had no other information they could use to personalise the email.

Does this show that the E Visa process has serious security failings?

2 hours ago, ewelve said:

My Thai wife of 30 years was told by her Amphur to change her name back to her maiden name or lose her land. she did and now i cant get marriage visa's because our names are not the same. 

I think someone is giving you bad info, your names do not have to be the same not all Thai wife's take their husbands name, and many are here on marriage extensions and there is no law to say so. Whatever her name is her ID NUMBER STAYS THE SAME !!

Edited by brianthainess

6 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Does this show that the E Visa process has serious security failings?

I have always assumed that the system was vulnerable. In this case, the leaked data is limited (only the email addresses of those who made applications which might be sniffed in a number of ways that are not really the fault of e-visa themselves). The scammers do not even seem to know which type of visa is being applied for.

@ ewelve... and incredible frustrating situation which I hope you get through... 

Regarding Uk Mobile Banking Apps, something you have been told may have been lost in explanation...  I have a UK NatWest and can download statements directly to my phone, forward it as an attachment to an e-mail address etc..

What may not be acceptable is to use 'screen shots' or 'photos of a screen'...  I guess the Embassy wont accept this either. 

Thus: Try and get past that hurdle - there must be a way to 'download' your statement as a PDF on your Mobile Banking App.

Once downloaded - Try and apply for the Visa again - as it is likely to be this which is the stumbling block and the £10,000 in a UK account issue just a ridiculous number someone made up - Definitely apply again with proper PDF statements this time. 

Regarding the name change etc.. Your wife was bullied, sadly, officials in Thailand get away with forcing their incompetence. It's difficult when the one doing the bullying is at the top of their local pyramid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

I have always assumed that the system was vulnerable. In this case, the leaked data is limited (only the email addresses of those who made applications which might be sniffed in a number of ways that are not really the fault of e-visa themselves). The scammers do not even seem to know which type of visa is being applied for.

OK.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, ewelve said:

I have just applied for a tourist visa with Thai Embassy London, they asked for proof i had 60,000 baht or more for my stay. 

I sent my Thai bank account details with 320,000 baht and proof that my UK everyday account with my address on it by photo'ing it with my sons phone off my screen, it had £4,000 in it.

I have just received a email saying my visa cannot be processed unless i send them a statement with a UK account with address on it stating i have more than £10,000 in it.

The sums i have originally sent them equate to more than this but not wanting to upset anyone im trying to print my statement from my savings account with the required amount in, it wont print as apparently it is now illegal and banking apps have a safe guard to stop you printing or screen shooting your balance. I was going to try to photo it with my sons phone and send but just noticed the Embassy wont take copies of screen shots.

Question is has this happened to any one else and how did they get round it

£10,000 for a tourist visa wow.

Regards 

It’s not 10K for a Visa now. It’s a phishing scam

also don’t send a Thai bank statement when applying for a Visa in the UK. That will set off a lot of red flags. Why would a UK resident have a Thai bank account if they were just a tourist for a few weeks?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

also don’t send a Thai bank statement when applying for a Visa in the UK. That will set off a lot of red flags. Why would a UK resident have a Thai bank account if they were just a tourist for a few weeks?

Perverse thinking

Why do tourists own holiday homes in destinations they like?

• Like 1

Following this with interest as currently only have one way ticket outbound in October

That rules how the suggestions from some of not bothering with a tourist visa and just taking the 30 day visa exempt entry and subsequently extending it

That will require a ticket out of Thailand at 30 day point or before (pre check in back initially in uk

Ohh for the days of a simple application form sent to Cardiff including passport and postal order (they didnt take cheques if you remember lol)

Internet age progress my backside

I cant even print off Thai account balance which is 70% of the equivalaent £10,000 anyway because cant access the account online since SCB made changes !

The irony is not lost on me lol

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Perverse thinking

Why do tourists own holiday homes in destinations they like?

It’s how immigration think. They are always on the lookout for people that aren’t “legitimate” tourists. That visa is for someone flying in and out for a holiday, having a Thai Bank account sets off red flags for them, they can argue you must be working there.

Just make life easy for yourself, play the game 

7 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Following this with interest as currently only have one way ticket outbound in October

That rules how the suggestions from some of not bothering with a tourist visa and just taking the 30 day visa exempt entry and subsequently extending it

That will require a ticket out of Thailand at 30 day point or before (pre check in back initially in uk

Ohh for the days of a simple application form sent to Cardiff including passport and postal order (they didnt take cheques if you remember lol)

Internet age progress my backside

I cant even print off Thai account balance which is 70% of the equivalaent £10,000 anyway because cant access the account online since SCB made changes !

The irony is not lost on me lol

Which is why God created 'rent a tickets' (https://onewayfly.com/   and countless others)

Ahh yes the grand old days of yearly Non Imm -O's on tap from Cardiff (and other consulates) - simpler times.

BTW its never about progress only control and oppression

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

It’s how immigration think. They are always on the lookout for people that aren’t “legitimate” tourists. That visa is for someone flying in and out for a holiday, having a Thai Bank account sets off red flags for them, they can argue you must be working there.

Just make life easy for yourself, play the game 

Immigration department doesn't issue visas.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Mate are you suggesting im a scammer? if you are your a real dick. Im an old guy trying to get a visa, what kind of person are you or are you just trying to be important? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ewelve said:

No thats not true the visa process wants copies of your visa stamps in and out of the country they can see where you dont stay IE: Thailand

1 hour ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Man you are a horrible individual, its people like you that put people off asking for help on forums like this. Im not a damn scammer i not capable for a start and dont want to for a second. The reason i have a Thai bank account, although its sod all to do with you, is i try to take advantage of the rate exchange, perhaps you could get a very small young infant to explain that to you.

• Sad 1

I called the Embassy again dead on 2.00pm and was 4th in the queue im still waiting to be answered 2 hours this morning and 1 hour 23 mins up to now. No im not calling the Visa office thats shut im calling the consular section to tell them someone has access to their email list before Mr Fridgemagnet steps in again with his rotten accusations 

• Confused 1