Thailand shifts gears with online vehicle registration

snoop1130

rat.jpg

The Thai government has launched an online vehicle registration service, providing a more convenient and time-saving option for the public. This move aligns with the government’s digital transformation policy, which aims to facilitate access to public services. As a result, citizens can now book a single number plate for each vehicle.

Ratchada Thanadirek, Deputy Government Spokesperson, highlighted that this initiative is part of the government’s broader endeavour to promote digital transformation in public sector organisations. The policy, led by former Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, focuses on digitalisation to streamline processes and enhance service delivery.

Several public sector organisations have already embraced this change, implementing online services to improve citizen satisfaction. The Department of Land Transport is one such entity that has shifted its services online in line with the government’s digital policy.

It has developed an online system to reserve vehicle registration numbers on the website https://reserve.dlt.go.th/reserve/. The system requires identity verification through the ThaID application before booking a vehicle registration number, ensuring compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act, BE 2562 (2019), and preventing impersonation.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of thaigov.go.th

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-government-introduces-online-vehicle-registration-service-embracing-digital-transformation

-- Thaiger 2023-08-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai government has launched an online vehicle registration service, providing a more convenient and time-saving option for the public. This move aligns with the government’s digital transformation policy, which aims to facilitate access to public services. As a result, citizens can now book a single number plate for each vehicle.

Amazing Thailand.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

So it is not to pay your yearly registration fee but just to reserve a 'lucky' license plate number when you purchase a vehicle.

Yes I thought that, and wondered how would you do the vehicle check/examination online, mind you that wouldn't surprise me TIT, just send a few photos of the car :cheesy:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes I thought that, and wondered how would you do the vehicle check/examination online, mind you that wouldn't surprise me TIT, just send a few photos of the car :cheesy:

Would those photos have to include you kicking the tyres on your own vehicle just like the 'tester' does?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Would those photos have to include you kicking the tyres on your own vehicle just like the 'tester' does?

Your Tester sounds over qualified for the job, next you'll expect a load test on trucks to test the brakes. :giggle:

177714831_loadtesting.jpg.794cebe9981336c15326844ce6223396.jpg

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

next you'll expect a load test on trucks to test the brakes. 

There is a load test for cars and pickup trucks. Why should there not be one for other trucks????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Your Tester sounds over qualified for the job, next you'll expect a load test on trucks to test the brakes. :giggle:

177714831_loadtesting.jpg.794cebe9981336c15326844ce6223396.jpg

No, he did check that the wipers and front blinkers worked.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

what brakes, oh them things that don't work

That's them you know with auditable alarms and gauges, to let you know when the air pressure is dropping, buy pumping the air out to see if both are working, and getting a person to hold the brakes on while an inspector, goes underneath to check for air leaks. :whistling:  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

There is a load test for cars and pickup trucks. Why should there not be one for other trucks????

No there is not, a rolling road yes, but no load test ever. Do you ever see a vehicle loaded when being tested? No never.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No there is not, a rolling road yes, but no load test ever. Do you ever see a vehicle loaded when being tested? No never.

Where my vehicle is tested they apply the brakes, when stationary, and a load is applied to the roller. So I say yes.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where my vehicle is tested they apply the brakes, when stationary, and a load is applied to the roller. So I say yes.

That is not a load applied, just a set speed of the rollers, to turn the wheels. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is not a load applied, just a set speed of the rollers, to turn the wheels. 

The vehicle braking system applies load on the rotating roller motors which is measured and displayed to the operator. 

I believe in some countries heavy goods vehicles include load or down force applied during these tests.  Not sure why this is done, possibly to test suspension or vehicle load sensors during tests.

16 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

little problem... how will foreigners be able to do this?they always organise things for a thai id but never facilitate things for us.

When registering I suggest you put your 13 digit COVID NUMBER in the Thai ID "slot"

16 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

little problem... how will foreigners be able to do this?they always organise things for a thai id but never facilitate things for us.

When registering for online DLT services I suggest you enter your 13 digit COVID number in the Thai ID "slot"!

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Actually the annual road tax system is already online and works very well. All the testing stations are linked into the system and once your vehicle has been tested the information is already in the system and you can pay the road tax online without submitting any documents. I've done it for the last two years. I successfully registered for the system using my social insurance number. It takes about two minutes online. If you haven't paid the compulsory insurance, you can also do that as part of the process (if you've paid it already the system 'knows'). 

So the joke's on you here really. We know that there are some duds but there are also a few of the Thai online processes that are done really well and make life much easier.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

3 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

All the testing stations are linked into the system and once your vehicle has been tested

Yes maybe once  THE VEHICLE has been TESTED. 

Please don't try to explain buying compulsory insurance separately, IMO then you can get a tax sticker with no compulsory insurance. we've been down this argument before.  

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes maybe once  THE VEHICLE has been TESTED. 

Please don't try to explain buying compulsory insurance separately, IMO then you can get a tax sticker with no compulsory insurance. we've been down this argument before.  

I'm not trying to explain it. I don't get mine separately, just saying that it's all there in the online system, which is very well set up and works exactly as it should. 

9 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I'm not trying to explain it. I don't get mine separately, just saying that it's all there in the online system, which is very well set up and works exactly as it should. 

29 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It takes about two minutes online. If you haven't paid the compulsory insurance, you can also do that as part of the process

So funny :cheesy::cheesy: It is part of the process.