Loch Ness Monster: Hundreds to join huge search for Nessie

Social Media

image.png

Hundreds of people are set to join what has been described as the biggest search for the Loch Ness Monster in more than 50 years.

Two hundred volunteers are to help record natural - and any unusual - sights on Loch Ness from vantage points on land.

Almost 300 have signed up to monitor a live stream from the search, which is taking place on Saturday and Sunday.

It is 90 years since the modern myth of Nessie began.

In April 1933, hotel manageress Aldie Mackay said she had seen a whale-like creature in the loch.

The Inverness Courier newspaper reported the sighting and the editor at the time, Evan Barron, suggested the creature be described as a "monster".

Since then the mystery of Nessie has inspired books, TV shows and films, as well as sustaining a major tourism industry.

This weekend's search has been organised by the Loch Ness Centre in Drumnadrochit and a volunteer research team called Loch Ness Exploration.

Drones fitted with infrared cameras are to be flown over the loch, and a hydrophone is to be used to detect unusual underwater sounds.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Been there once, saw nothing, the water is so dark, can hardly see more than a few inches down when you are at the shoreline. The peat apparently

Despite being pretty narrow, it contains a huge amount of water - more water than all the lakes of England and Wales combined.

https://www.nature.scot/landscapes-and-habitats/habitat-types/lochs-rivers-and-wetlands/freshwater-lochs#:~:text=Loch Ness is the largest,English and Welsh lakes together

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 8:42 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

The original Nessie photo is of an elephant swimming underwater , as there was a travelling circus in town at the time and the elephants were going for a swim 

More misinformation from you!

What you have stated is not factual but "possible" explanations that an elephant, among many other objects may have been seen in the photo and ascribed to being Nessie in the photo!

As to your statement that "there was a travelling circus in town at the time" please provide a quote and a time. 

The nearest reference to a circus being in the area is that there was a "And perhaps not coincidentally a traveling circus featuring elephants passed by the misty lake in the 1930s at the height of the monster sightings."  This is from the Washington post!

Scientist suggests Nessie really a circus elephant | The Spokesman-Review

Maybe try looking at some other sources;

The Legend of Loch Ness | NOVA | PBS

Edited by scottiejohn

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

More misinformation from you!

What you have stated is not factual but "possible" explanations that an elephant, among many other objects may have been seen in the photo and ascribed to being Nessie in the photo!

As to your statement that "there was a travelling circus in town at the time" please provide a quote and a time. 

The nearest reference to a circus being in the area is that there was a "And perhaps not coincidentally a traveling circus featuring elephants passed by the misty lake in the 1930s at the height of the monster sightings."  This is from the Washington post!

Scientist suggests Nessie really a circus elephant | The Spokesman-Review

I am stating that it is a fact, fell free to prove me wrong .

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I am stating that it is a fact, fell free to prove me wrong .

Provide the date of the circus and tie it into the date of the photo!

I just did prove you wrong as you have not had time to fully read the two articles I referenced therefor I can only say you are NOT stating facts!

Less than 1 minute between my post and your BS  response!

Edited by scottiejohn

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Provide the date of the circus and tie it into the date of the photo!

I just did prove you wrong as you have not had time to fully read the two articles I referenced therefor I can only say you are NOT stating facts, just BS as usual!

The photo is from 100 years ago and the locals to Loch Ness have been living off the "Nessie" tourist attraction ever since then . The loch has been completely searched and there's no monster there , its a myth 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

For a little extra we can book you with the premium package,

which also includes:

1. Scottish Bigfoot of the Highlands,

2. The lesser urban Chupacabra,  

3. Nomadic Leprechauns, 

Edited by cobra
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cobra said:

For a little extra we can book you with the premium package,

which also includes:

1. Scottish Bigfoot of the Highlands,

2. The lesser urban Chupacabra,  

3. Nomadic Leprechauns, 

Dinner includes a genuine haggis and fried mars bar , a lecture on how bad the English are and something that happened 300 years ago and a video of Scotland winning the World cup in 1967

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1