PM to look into extending tourist visas to 90 days

webfact

New PM says he will extend tourist visas for “targeted countries”

By Peter Roche

Screenshot-2023-08-27-at-09.13.51-768x472.png
PHOTO: PM Srettha Thavisin visits Phuket - Instagram

Thailand’s new prime minister Srettha Thavisin says his new government will extend tourist visas for up to 90 days.

During a visit to Phuket and Phang Nga on Friday and Saturday, the newly installed PM spoke to tourism stakeholders in the region and commented that the government will extend the length of tourist visas to up to 90 days for “targeted countries”. His comments were quoted in the Bangkok Post.

Currently arrivals from many western countries get a visa waiver which means they can arrive without any visa or paperwork and proceed straight to immigration where they get an entry stamp, usually for 30 days, extendable for another 30 days. Other countries, including China for example, only receive 15 days with either a pre-approved visa or a visa-on-arrival.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/new-pm-says-he-will-extend-tourist-visas-for-targeted-countries/

-- PhuketGO 2023-08-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

The thing is - there's no 30 day stamps issued on entry while on a tourist visa - you get 60 days if you have an embassy issued visa - this leads me to believe they're not talking about tourist visas - they're talking about 90 day visa exempt stamps on arrival.

A very big change indeed.

I think you are exactly right. This in NOT a visa. Now my only thought is could we leave a for a day or week or two and come back after the 90 days with one more 90 day visa exempt? Or would it be 30 + 30 ( for 5/6 month snowbirds like myself)

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

So the tourist visa that i just got online for 60 days would be replaced by a stay of 90 days on arrival without going through online toursits visa mess?

So if this actually gets approved after my arrival on the 60 day tourist visa does that mean that i get less of a stay than sombody who arrives a month or so after me with no tourist visa?

Is that what they are saying?  As usual clear as mud.  Why is it always so difficult to make it clear what they are saying even if they have to hire a native english translator to make sure it makes sense?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, chrischronic said:

Will this be met with reluctance or pushback from immigration? The visa extension service is lucrative, and I'm concerned that this might not be well-received. Additionally, it's a significant amount of money for the government to lose in terms of visa extension fees.

just increase the cost of all extensions, lots of people are paying 12,000thb+ for their extensions anyway, so 3-5,000thb would not be out of line

a 90days visa exempt entry would put Thailand in the same ball game as others in Asia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1