Thai girl battles rhabdomyolysis after harsh school punishment

webfact

image.jpeg

A tale of a young girl in the eighth grade, known only as Lalida, has sparked outrage in the small tambon Klang community of Selaphum district, Roi Et. Lalida is currently battling a severe case of rhabdomyolysis, a dangerous affliction that involves the breakdown of injured skeletal muscle. This condition has rendered her unable to walk and she remains confined to her room, following the harsh school punishment.

Sermvit Singha, 60 years old, Lalida’s father, revealed that his daughter’s condition is a consequence of a disciplinary punishment at school. He specified that a physical education teacher had ordered Lalida to do 100 squat jumps as punishment for forgetting her badminton racquet.

This school punishment incident occurred last Monday, and despite sustaining a muscle injury during the punishment, Lalida did not inform her parents and attended school the following day after taking a painkiller.

However, by Thursday, the pain escalated to an unbearable level. Upon learning about her injury, her parents promptly took her to the hospital. Sermvit shared the doctor’s diagnosis of rhabdomyolysis, indicating potentially lethal complications such as kidney damage. While the doctors recommended hospitalisation for Lalida, she chose to recuperate at home.

by Mitch Connor

TOP: Illustration: School Punishment, leaglesamiksha.com

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-girl-battles-rhabdomyolysis-after-harsh-school-punishment

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Easy  to write, but you never were in a Thai school apparently.. No other punishments are allowed than hitting with a stick. and the students themselves say.. no problem teacher a little bit hurt...The students are taught not to discuss with the teacher or even go to the director or administration... This is Thailand 2023

As I have two children in Thai school, you might just be slightly wrong. I teach my children different. Also, children tend to read a lot on social media, so let´s say, they are informed of what is right and wrong. And, there is no teacher that punish, hit or do anything out of line with my children.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A girl of around 13 refusing the will of her teacher goes against everything that has been ingrained in her since elementary school.

Going to the school office to report the teacher gets you in even more trouble..

Now do you understand?

Have experience as well. I guess it has to do with what support you have from your parents.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I don´t understand this. Of course the teacher is wrong and totally out of order with no right to punish students at all. He should be lined up for some good corporal punishment.

What I don´t understand, is why the students still willingly partake in such thing. It´s just to say no, and if that does not help go to the school office. No help, publish online or report to higher instances.

Fear of the teacher is instilled in the children i would hazard a guess that this teacher has a reputation for bullying

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I don´t understand this. Of course the teacher is wrong and totally out of order with no right to punish students at all. He should be lined up for some good corporal punishment.

What I don´t understand, is why the students still willingly partake in such thing. It´s just to say no, and if that does not help go to the school office. No help, publish online or report to higher instances.

Because they're kids....     you've brought an adult mindset to a children's world... 

• Like 1

It isn't always "Hang the teacher" time for things like this. Exercise as punishment from a PE teacher is pretty normal. What happened to this girl isn't a common occurrence. He/she may have told this girl a few times before and she just didn't like playing badminton.

We used to stand at the front gate to greet the kids and hand out punishment for all sorts of nonconformity discrepancies, no socks, wrong socks, wrong shoes, wrong or incomplete uniforms, hair, nails, etc.

Sent 1 girl off to collect 8 pieces of litter as punishment - when she thought she was far enough away that we couldn't see, she took a sheet of paper and tore it into 8 pieces and came back smiling. I gave her points for creativity.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No it's not...  no form of physical punishment is normal at all in the civilised world. 

And forcing a child to do 100 squat jumps is a very far cry from normal.

He (the teacher) could have told her 100 times before, there is no excuse for physical punishment. 

Would you dish out physically demanding punishment's that could inflict pain or physical harm ?

Fair enough, picking up a bit of litter is a far cry from the punishments we read of in the news. 

If my son received any form of physical punishment at school, my response would be resolute.

That said, I've no complaints and fully support a teacher who dispenses non-physical disciplinary action if my child were to behave in a manner deserving of such... 

My Son's school has uniform requirements, but if he were to turn up with the wrong shoes, wrong coloured socks etc, nothing would happen as the school is an excellent school and concentrates on learning rather than pathetic indiscretions - That said, if I were to repeatedly send my son to school out of uniform etc then I'd expect the teachers to ask my son why rather than discipline him and also perhaps also send us an e-mail. 

We have forgotten his swimming things a couple of times in the past - the school recognises this as normal and doesn't punish the child who is given the option to either borrow something from lost property (which my son did) or to sit out (which other students have done) - the idea of punishment in such a scenario is extreme.

Thus: Punishment for forgetting a badminton racket (as per this article) - this teacher needs to be fired and face criminal charges of abuse. 

Your kids are obviously babies - Pratoms are treated much differently than Matayoms. Hard to get a 14 yr old to sit in the corner for a timeout and most schools recognize it's the parents' fault when things are brought to school or forgotten in the backpack.

4 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Your kids are obviously babies - Pratoms are treated much differently than Matayoms. Hard to get a 14 yr old to sit in the corner for a timeout and most schools recognize it's the parents' fault when things are brought to school or forgotten in the backpack.

Upper Junior (9 yrs old), but that's somewhat moot, the school my son attends exercises the same approach throughout the years (primary and secondary) - it doesn't strictly enforce pathetic rules. 

There is a uniform - shorts and short. 

The school asks for white socks and sensible black footwear - and thats about it. 

I see kids all the time in other footwear (trainers etc) - I don't think the school sees this as a major issue even though there is a uniform. 

No child of any age is going to receive a time-out for forgetting a uniform item or other such insignificant indiscretion. 

On the other hand, get caught bullying, fighting, being racist, being excessively rude etc and the school will bring the parents in for a discussion very quickly. 

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Upper Junior (9 yrs old), but that's somewhat moot, the school my son attends exercises the same approach throughout the years (primary and secondary) - it doesn't strictly enforce pathetic rules. 

There is a uniform - shorts and short. 

The school asks for white socks and sensible black footwear - and thats about it. 

I see kids all the time in other footwear (trainers etc) - I don't think the school sees this as a major issue even though there is a uniform. 

No child of any age is going to receive a time-out for forgetting a uniform item or other such insignificant indiscretion. 

On the other hand, get caught bullying, fighting, being racist, being excessively rude etc and the school will bring the parents in for a discussion very quickly. 

Then you are paying for a private school and have no experience with regular public government schools who are forced by law to follow a different set of standards to get their piece of the government pie.

Some of the private universities allow civilian clothes with no uniform.

Nuff said for now as you're simply arguing how great you are versus the norm of Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I taught in several schools and everywhere is the same... and indeed children don't say anything never to anybody....as they know that most Thai parents will them again..Happy to hear you have angel children

Did I say, I have angel children? Where did you read or understand that? What I said is that they do not punish my children, because them they have something coming for them. My children have been in troubles and even fights, but we have been managing to talk about such things and solve the problem with words. You know, something that shows adulthood in front of children instead that a life of a thug. Anyway, you probably missed that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because they're kids....     you've brought an adult mindset to a children's world... 

Dear Richard, it depends on how you raise your children. Anyway, that you for showing your flaws.

4 hours ago, RobU said:

Fear of the teacher is instilled in the children i would hazard a guess that this teacher has a reputation for bullying

Depends on what upbringing the child that gets bullied had. Not even my 4 year old would back down.

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Depends on what upbringing the child that gets bullied had. Not even my 4 year old would back down.

I agree but many Thai children are brought up to defer to adults i.e. a biddable child especially in working class families plus it depends on the personality of the child to be able to stand up to a stronger bigger Adult who could do them serious harm. You have taught your children to be fearless and not to back down, which may or may not be a good thing when dealing with bully personalities who are physically bigger and stronger

Edited by RobU

Rhabdomyolysis.  Never heard of it.  But it sounds scary and expensive.  How much does the testing and tablets cost?

As a kid, we used to call it muscle pain from playing a new sport as the sports season changed.  Pain happened when using different muscle groups.  And it went away fairly quickly. Nobody wanted to be the weakling complaining.

7 hours ago, fdimike said:

I have helped teach English (volunteer) for close to 20 years in many many Thai government schools in Udon Thani Province and have NEVER witnessed any sort of physical punishment to a students by a teacher.  I would have intervened and contacted the school director immediately if that happened.

Well, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not happening. I personally witnessed it numerous times.

And you can contact whomever you want at that given school. If it's happening there then the headmaster definitely knows about it and is OK with it! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Dear Richard, it depends on how you raise your children. Anyway, that you for showing your flaws.

You believe Thai kids in Thai classroom would revolt against the teacher dishing out discipline ????

55 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You believe your kids would revolt against the teacher ???

At 16 perhaps... but younger than that... 

I don't know your kids of course, but you are utterly delusional... 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Did I say, I have angel children? Where did you read or understand that? What I said is that they do not punish my children, because them they have something coming for them. My children have been in troubles and even fights, but we have been managing to talk about such things and solve the problem with words. You know, something that shows adulthood in front of children instead that a life of a thug. Anyway, you probably missed that. 

not government schools I suppose... Ep programs and international schools are different.. but I am talking about the normal temple schools and Government schools