Depression that black dog

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

People become what they think. Think depression will never go away it won't. Self fulfilling.

Depression , diagnosed clinical and not environmental, does not go away. Medications have helped millions with symptoms, which can lessen the severity. removing yourself from a toxic environment also helps, as does exercise,healthy diet and enough sleep, but it doesn't cure it.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bignok said:

Self fulfilling. Smokers and fat people do the same. You talked yourself into it.

Do you even know what Seasonal Affective Disorder is, or are you going to tell me it doesn't exist/it is "self fulfillling"? I wasn't going to engage with you because I have never known such a "know it all" who actually knows nothing. I did because what you are posting is just so misinformed - are you out of your twenties yet? Bye.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wanted to put this in this forum rather than the health forum as I'm not looking for a cure just opinions .

Lately I have felt depressed, about....nothing !

My energy has gone down and sleeping a lot 

I have really stopped being concerned about my work /job ,not that I cared anyway but just having more sick days lately , couldn't be bothered going

I said recently to my brother I felt depressed but nothing about.

He said FFS , snap out of it !

How can you be depressed over nothing ?

"Depression is not real mate !!!

Get off the couch and go to work you lazy C ! 

Depressed over nothing , a load of BS !

But it's just not easy 

I don't feel like going out and just prefer to spend my weekend at home watching movies .

I then seen a Abc Four corners documentary on the dangers of people that took Prozac and how initial this drug made them so happy but years later they were worse , some scholars said depression is not real ,it's promoted by medical pharmacy companies.

Now I'm not talking about depression with a reason that is your partner died or whatever,I'm talking about depression for no reason .

You just feel depressed 

Even insurance companies don't have a illness called depression if you look close ,it has to have a meaning 

In the last few days I have felt better why I don't know,but it got me thinking ," is depression actually real if you have nothing to be depressed about?

Is it a load of bunkum ?

How many of you have been affected by the "black dog" as they call it ,how many of you have really the terrible depression that you had to have medication,did it cure it 

I remember a few years ago at my workplace a few guys making fun of another guy who claimed he had depression and took sick leave .

" What a weak B they said in the meal room , the lazy SOB ,they said , it's all BS !

The point is , is it BS, is it real ?

I go through the same thing time to time.  

What I do is get out  I go to MBK and get a coffee walk around and just look at the people.  

I also go out with the GF if nothing else having someone to go for a meal with or just a movie is important

Go for a masage

just get out adn do something 

I am not a heavy drinker and would not suggest it every day but on friday I usually go to the Game at NANA and sit and watch the people and tv.

Anything that gets you out of the house is a good thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Do you even know what Seasonal Affective Disorder is, or are you going to tell me it doesn't exist/it is "self fulfillling"? I wasn't going to engage with you because I have never known such a "know it all" who actually knows nothing. I did because what you are posting is just so misinformed - are you out of your twenties yet? Bye.

SAD is most likely what affected you, as it cleared up in May. A lot suffer with this in northern climes, especially during the winter.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Get busy walking around doing stuff.

That's all to easy to say. Try doing those things when you have depression/anxiety. I've suffered depression/anxiety for over 25 years. As far as I'm concerned antidepressants are placeboes. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

SAD is most likely what affected you, as it clears up in May. A lot suffer with this in northern climes, especially during the winter.

Amazing that you have this when all people need to do to cure it is listen to Bignok.

• Haha 1

Just now, IvorBiggun2 said:

That's all to easy to say. Try doing those things when you have depression/anxiety.

Exactly - i sit there thinking to myself if I wanted to make myself depressed I would (actually, would NOT) do what i am doing and that might be the case for many people who are not affected with endogenous depression, but with us it is EFFECT not CAUSE.

I am not saying we can't put in action to help ourselves - going for a walk in the early morning is one of the most effective things I know, but it is a LONG way from being curative.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That's all to easy to say. Try doing those things when you have depression/anxiety. I've suffered depression/anxiety for over 25 years. As far as I'm concerned antidepressants are placeboes. 

Try jumping

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

For the OP, another link for Anhedonia, which is brought on by depression. I personally know a woman here that has it, and all the symptoms. Some days she doesn't want to leave the house. Many times not wanting to socialize, go to parties, homes of co workers. No desire for anything she liked before, Food doesn't taste as good, sex means nothing. You want to isolate, which is the worst thing you can do. I lost a best friend to depression and I'll do anything I can to support a friend with it. Understanding what they are going through is near impossible unless you have it yourself. "Better snap out of it", "You'll be okay soon", "I know how you feel|," It's all in your head", "Why let yourself be like this", etc etc etc, are all things you don't say to them. You can't feel what they're feeling because they aren't feeling anything. Everyone gets depressed, and we all know how it feels, but with depression it's worse, much worse, and they think there's no way out. There is, but it takes a lot of effort on their part to want to do the things to feel better, and knowing it won't go away but it can be treated is a major positive thing.................................https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/anhedonia

Absolutely spot on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Exactly - i sit there thinking to myself if I wanted to make myself depressed I would (actually, would NOT) do what i am doing and that might be the case for many people who are not affected with endogenous depression, but with us it is EFFECT not CAUSE.

I am not saying we can't put in action to help ourselves - going for a walk in the early morning is one of the most effective things I know, but it is a LONG way from being curative.

I think you are misguided. Life has no cure. You have to exercise daily, eat well daily. 1000 short term fixes equals a long term fix. 1000km drive is only 1000 times 1km.

There is no 100% happy person. You have to practice good habits daily.

20 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Everyone gets depressed, and we all know how it feels, but with depression it's worse, much worse, and they think there's no way out.

Doctors tend to judge depression by 'ability to function' rather than "feelings".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I am already doing that and have done for decades (probably more decades than you have been alive) so I fail to see how I am "misguided". I was a regular member of a self help group for decades.

Things are just not as simple as you think they are.

Why not? I was more depressed than you 3 years ago. Now im less. I talked and acted my way better.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

I think you are misguided. Life has no cure. You have to exercise daily, eat well daily. 1000 short term fixes equals a long term fix. 1000km drive is only 1000 times 1km.

There is no 100% happy person. You have to practice good habits daily.

People exercise daily, eat healthy, sleep well, don't smoke or drink, and die at 30. Some eat bacon every day,smoke cigars, drink hard whiskey, and rarely move, and live to 103. Go figure. Difference is, those without depression enjoy life more. Those untreated have days and sometimes weeks where nothing matters, including those things they always loved. No one can make another happy. That's their job, but when you feel nothing, happiness doesn't exist. The only thing that works is knowing there are things that can help, and never giving up. having someone who loves you exactly how you are means the world to them. No medication cures it, although the serotonin levels can be raised. If you don't have depression, it's best not to try and give any advice unless you really read up on it. It took me awhile to try and understand what a person who has it goes through, but Ill never get there. I can only listen to them and try and get them up and about, because staying in a dark room leads to over thinking, which makes it all much harder to want to think anything's worthwhile. Exercise helps by increasing endorphins, which leads to positive thinking, so it should be done but getting to that point isn't easy. If you don't want to get out of bed, the world doesn't look too good to you. Talk to them, letting them know it has nothing to do with who they are, and not their fault, and it usually gets better with treatment. Let them talk, it helps having someone to listen without giving advice but support. hard to do, especially as a man who wants to fix things. You can't fix them. They have to do what they need to do. I care for you, and I'm here for you. If they talk suicide, try and convince them to let you bring them to see someone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Why not? I was more depressed than you 3 years ago. Now im less. I talked and acted my way better.

Sounds like you had "self pity", not endogenous depression. I have got myself out of self pity by my own actions more than once, I cannot do that with what I regard as endogenous depression.

Get a real life black dog!

1692927310441.jpg

In between walking it, feeding it and being entertained by it, you won't have time to be depressed. You don't need to go over the top and have three sisters (two Chihuahuas and a miniature Pomeranian) You won't need an alarm clock either - the day starts at dawn Daddy!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

My lunch

How can u be depressed eating this?

20230830_124458.jpg

Loss of appetite is often a symptom of endogenous depression, so they might not be able to - a Doctor might ask if you have lost weight - conversely, depressed people can put on weight.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

People exercise daily, eat healthy, sleep well, don't smoke or drink, and die at 30. Some eat bacon every day,smoke cigars, drink hard whiskey, and rarely move, and live to 103. Go figure. Difference is, those without depression enjoy life more. Those untreated have days and sometimes weeks where nothing matters, including those things they always loved. No one can make another happy. That's their job, but when you feel nothing, happiness doesn't exist. The only thing that works is knowing there are things that can help, and never giving up. having someone who loves you exactly how you are means the world to them. No medication cures it, although the serotonin levels can be raised. If you don't have depression, it's best not to try and give any advice unless you really read up on it. It took me awhile to try and understand what a person who has it goes through, but Ill never get there. I can only listen to them and try and get them up and about, because staying in a dark room leads to over thinking, which makes it all much harder to want to think anything's worthwhile. Exercise helps by increasing endorphins, which leads to positive thinking, so it should be done but getting to that point isn't easy. If you don't want to get out of bed, the world doesn't look too good to you. Talk to them, letting them know it has nothing to do with who they are, and not their fault, and it usually gets better with treatment. Let them talk, it helps having someone to listen without giving advice but support. hard to do, especially as a man who wants to fix things. You can't fix them. They have to do what they need to do. I care for you, and I'm here for you. If they talk suicide, try and convince them to let you bring them to see someone.

Lifespan isnt depression. Fat people can be happy though. You decide happiness not the outside world. Today Im going to be happy and enjoy life regardless of the outside world. Repeat that in your head daily. After 3 months you believe it.

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Sounds like you had "self pity", not endogenous depression. I have got myself out of self pity by my own actions more than once, I cannot do that with what I regard as endogenous depression.

Self pity? I tried suicide multiple times. Rarely left the house for 6 months.

You have no idea.

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Loss of appetite is often a symptom of endogenous depression, so they might not be able to - a Doctor might ask if you have lost weight - conversely, depressed people can put on weight.

Sure can, or stop eating. Many buy things constantly, have a lot of sex, sleep all day, take illegal drugs, drink too much. All to take away the pain, at least for awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bignok said:

I agree which is wht you do multiple things

1 diet

2 exercise

3 positive meditation

4 cold showers

5 music

6 body language and breathing techniques

Jumping is the quickest way to snap from mind from negative to positive

Agree on every step except cold showers, I know many swear to it, but not for me. I did  swim in ocean or lakes until Christmas time in Norway before after kayaking or hiking a mountain, but cold showers, I never forced me to do.

I would add quit as much sugar as possible, sweeteners and alcohol. Little fruit is okay.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Have you ever met him? How would you know how he or anyone else actually feels? No one does, unless they tell you. Everyone gets bouts of depression. that isn't a clinical kind that doesn't go away. Everyone experiences loss, and they get depressed for many things going on in their lives, but most pass and things get better. My best friend had a great wife, a job, house,car, played drums and hockey,fishing, had many friends, and a close family. He took his life in 1987, back when a lot didn't understand the illness like they do now. He was a class clown, just like Robin Williams, and that;s another symptom as well. He used to sleep a lot during the day, and we thought it was just a hangover. Now I know better.

I dont care how he feels. Your feelings are an illusion. Love, hate, depression its an illusion you created in your brain.

You fix depression through actions and reinforcement. Like training a horse. This is how you gallop. This is how you canter. This is how you let go. This is how you go from 1200m to a mile.

• Confused 2

Lifespan isnt depression. Fat people can be happy though. You decide happiness not the outside world. Today Im going to be happy and enjoy life regardless of the outside world. Repeat that in your head daily. After 3 months you believe it.

Positive thinking is always good. Many over think, which compounds problems. If you're where you can talk yourself out of a depressed mood, that's good, but it isn't that easy for many. Changing your negative thinking to another way can help, but it takes effort, as thoughts aren't easy to change. There are many levels and types of depression, and some are not easy to climb out of without outside help. Knowing things were better before and can be again is a good first step.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

I dont care how he feels. Your feelings are an illusion. Love, hate, depression its an illusion you created in your brain.

You fix depression through actions and reinforcement. Like training a horse. This is how you gallop. This is how you canter. This is how you let go. This is how you go from 1200m to a mile.

Pretty much how I fixed self pity, but it doesn't work for endogenous depression. I just don't think we are talking about the same thing - I can be PERFECTLY HAPPY but unable to function.

Read what people are writing on this thread, they are talking about a different condition to you, but you are assuming what you have is what they have.

Edited by mokwit

9 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Pretty much how I fixed self pity, but it doesn't work for endogenous depression. I just don't think we are talking about the same thing - I can be PERFECTLY HAPPY but unable to function.

Read what people are writing on this thread, they are talking about a different condition to you, but you are assuming what you have is what they have.

He is obviously a bit manic…

Not a criticism.