No outside food or drink….

bob smith

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

My brother ran a bar/restaurant here. It was mainly for farangs but Thais came in to watch football etc. He allowed Thai customers to bring their own whiskey in and for Thai girlfriends to go to the local market, but food and bring it in. I was new here and was shocked. He said no big deal. "If I sell a bottle of Black Label I can make about 50 baht, but these guys drink tons of mixers at which he made a handsome profit as much as he made off beer....30 baht for a mixer bought at 7 baht".

On the subject of food, he argued that it was expensive to keep all the ingredients for a Thai menu and that it wasn't worth the cooking because he couldn't make it for twice the price it sold for on the market next door and he made decent money off the soft drink the girls bought.

I guess it is how you look at your business, whether you are in it to put rules up on the wall, or to make a profit. 

Most profits are made on drinks anywhere you go, not food.

When you order a good server always pushes drinks, preferably right when you sit down before looking at the menu.

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

god help us all if they are going to be the new leaders of the world! 

They're not. China's economy is on the verge of collapse with real estate and finance giants essentially bankrupt. Hopefully this doesn't affect the rest of the world (too much), but the "China #1" dream (nightmare?) is not going to happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

It's a culture thing.  China overpopulates their restaurants with service workers.  Normal practice in fast food joints is to leave the debris on the tables for staff to remove.

Not all that different from the practice here.  Over half the local patrons at KFC and McD don't clear their tables either.

The distinction is not clearing the tables when you have supported the place and purchased the food, and not cleaning up your mess when you have free loaded and brought only food to the table, so to speak. Big difference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

I'm on Bob's side on this one, though the nationality of the people is irrelevant. It is simply rude behavior.

Where do those who do not object draw the line? Would it be acceptable in a Michelin Star-rated restaurant? Take up 15 seats, order just water, and pull the main courses from a backpack? Nobody could pull that stunt in a NYC hi-so restaurant, so why is it okay in a Thai breakfast spot? Also, other potential patrons might be turned off by the display and choose another venue for their meal.

"No outside food or beverage" means exactly that. If the wait staff didn't care, okay, but I doubt the owner would be indifferent.

absolutely spot on mate!

Could you also tell @Liverpool Lou please? 

I cant be bothered tbh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

What’s the point then, scorecard? The sign said no outside food or drinks, they brought in outside food.

yes. And and?

Wow, you must be fun at parties. Mr. Pefectin every way. Getting so excited about tiny subjects, must bring you great pleasure.

Take a break and calm down.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The distinction is not clearing the tables when you have supported the place and purchased the food, and not cleaning up your mess when you have free loaded and brought only food to the table, so to speak. Big difference. 

Not supported?  They bought 15 coffees and some waters, right?

750 baht minimum spend.

I wonder if the Chinese are on WeChat right now, complaining about the "Laowai" that took up an entire table at a coffee shop for several hours and only bought one lousy coffee?  How rude! 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Wow, you must be fun at parties. Mr. Pefectin every way. Getting so excited about tiny subjects, must bring you great pleasure.

Take a break and calm down.

What would you do if it were your business....?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, transam said:

What would you do if it were your business....?

Good question. I would probably push the 'sitters' to buy more items, perhaps with a tempting discount  and also say at some point "You cannot do this again".

Also keeping in mind that negative comments about restaurants (whether valid or otherwise) can do enormous damage to the business. 

Rule 1 in the marketing of the business is to get customers to come into the restaurant and sit down then see what you can sell to them even at a discount as long as the revenue covers the costs involved.

If they hear negative comments there's no chance of any revenue and there's a good chance the 'negative news' about the restuarant will spread. 

Edited by scorecard

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good question. I would probably push the 'sitters' to buy more items, perhaps with a tempting discount  and also say at some point "You cannot do this again".

Also keeping in mind that negative comments about restaurants (whether valid or otherwise) can do enormous damage to the business. 

Rule 1 in the marketing of the business is to get customers to come into the restaurant and sit down then see what you can sell to them even at a discount as long as the revenue covers the costs involved.

If they hear negative comments there's no chance of any revenue and there's a good chance the 'negative news' about the restuarant will spread. 

could you be any more vague if you tired??

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Rules are made to be broken. Breaking them is great fun. As long as they bought something, all good. Leaving the mess was not cool. But, Chinese people tend to be very uncool. LOL. 

I think the word you are searching for is "filthy"

Ever been to China?? "Leaving a mess" is an understatement 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't think that will happen with tourists, the tourists in question knew they were taking the p_ss, just hoping they get away with it, which they do here.

These folk are also taking up space for paying customers, if it were my business, I would point out, you eat here, you buy here.....????

That's your choice and ultimately I don't disgaree that's one valid approach.