Ground Coffee Recommendations?

CanadaSam

On 8/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, freeworld said:

Duang Dee coffee.  I think 130 baht now and available in some foodland shops.

Available online as well Duang Dee Hill Tribe Coffee | Facebook

I mix 250g of the classic with 250g of the extra smooth.

Two spoons in a filter drip and it gives a wonderful strong taste balanced coffee.

Sounds great. Thx for the info. Gonna give it a go. :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and easy enough to control the heat, on gas anyway.  Definitely stop the first hint of spurting, or it will be bitter.

Used the French Press this morning, about the same coffee / water ratio, 8 minute steep,  Think I might stick with that for now.

"... same coffee / water ratio".

1 cup of water and 1 cup of ground coffee.

Really, sounds like making bitumen.

I also use the plunger (french press) method, so easy and quick and a great cup of coffee.

We have a full size model.

And 1 cup model which I wrap and put in my suitcase when on a business trip or holiday along with a not heavy coffee mug. Again, so easy. (I don't use cups etc., provided on a tray in most hotels nowadays. I have doubts about how clean they are and when they were last washed and how many hands have touched them. My worst exprience with this was checking inside a small box on the tea/coffee tray and finding about 5 used tea bags, all gone hard. this was a 5 star hotel. Incidents like this add to my doubts about the overall cleanliness of hotels.)

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 12:46 PM, KhunLA said:

Bon Cafe coffee is a good start, easy to find, and not silly priced.  Test out some different blends or straight Arabica beans.  Light, medium, dark roast.

Then move on if not stratified.

What was your helpful suggestion ...

... oh wait, you didn't have one ????

I don't drink drippy coffee so would not offer a recommendation for something I know little about. I drink espresso, mainly blended Thai beans from my local non-starbucks,non-Amazon coffee shops. I dislike bon coffee - it's vague and tasteless and even smells off in an espresso. If you want a recommendation from me: Illy, Segafredo and Lavazza for imports and then Grazioso sells some great local beans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

"... same coffee / water ratio".

1 cup of water and 1 cup of ground coffee.

Really, sounds like making bitumen.

I guess I could of added, same coffee/water ratio "1 to 10, as the moka pot".

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2023 at 12:23 PM, CanadaSam said:

Finally switching from instant coffee to a drip coffee maker, just arrived.

I don't have a clue which ground coffee to order / buy, and where?  (I am in Pattaya).

I like STRONG coffee, can anybody please suggest the brand or type of ground coffee I am looking for?

Thanks in advance!!!

Don't buy ground coffee. Buy beans and grind it yourself for a fresher taste. For the last 25 years I have been grinding beans and using a cafetiere (French Press) to make coffee at home. You can adjust the strength as to your taste. I did a short film for a buddy a few years ago showing the process.

On 8/31/2023 at 6:36 PM, novacova said:

As mentioned above Hillkoff is good, I personally like Black Thai arabica. My preference though is Bodonso premium dark from Mae Salong Nai, Mae Fha Luang north Chiangrai…

IMG_9860.jpeg

How much is this?

23 hours ago, Adventurer1 said:

Starbucks has the best flavor. Either you like the best or you like cheap.

Only if you don't mind wasting money bc it's not worth the price.

Price aside, the beans and roast are good but I'd bring it home. Starbucks burns their coffee imo and often it's more on watery side rather than oily, full bodied.

But I just hate the company on principle

Edited by Jelli
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Jelli said:

Yikes. I'm paying about 110b 500gm I think. Free shipping.

Thanks

Yes of course, the thread has many explanations of individual preferences. My favorite coffee isn’t available anywhere in Thailand, a roaster in Holualoa Kona, so I’m left hunting for the next best thing and cost isn’t an issue and ฿350 really isn’t expensive. I’m happy with a good strong smooth cup of kick@ss coffee is all I care about. So if anyone here has any idea of what it is that I’m looking for, please post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by novacova
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Jelli said:

Only if you don't mind wasting money bc it's not worth the price.

Price aside, the beans and roast are good but I'd bring it home. Starbucks burns their coffee imo and often it's more on watery side rather than oily, full bodied.

But I just hate the company on principle

Totally 100% agree. If I need coffee on the road, Inthanin is superior to Starbarfs by far any day, just my preference…

Edited by novacova

23 hours ago, Adventurer1 said:

Starbucks has the best flavor. Either you like the best or you like cheap.

This has to be a troll surely !!!

Adventurer1 clearly knows how divisive opinions about Starbucks can be. 

Their coffee is fine, it’s no the best by a long shot. Any mass market coffee shop is naturally going to devolve in quality to average - nothing wrong with that, it’s just business. 

A quality barista with reasonable coffee is always going to pull a better shot than Bob or Lek with minimal training & great coffee.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A quality barista with reasonable coffee is always going to pull a better shot than Bob or Lek with minimal training & great coffee.

…and there is certainly no shortage of these little shops here in the north 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could almost be worth a coffee tour !! 

+1 If I haven’t had any coffee before I leave in the morning it’s an automatic coffee tour ???? I’ll try to hit a couple places I haven’t tried before, because I’m always looking for something better.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:18 PM, recom273 said:

I buy my coffee from here

https://www.facebook.com/misterlee.mittraphap/

You can find them on lazada, you should ask them to grind the beans for you, however I was told grinding your own is one of the best ways to improve the taste. It's worthwhile getting some more kit like a carafe, scales and grinder for the best experience, you dont have to spend money, cheap from Lazada will suffice.

Personal taste of course, I prefer to stir the whole beans a while to ensure they are mixed, then grind, then immediately into the French Press pot, add boiling water immediately, stir for 30 seconds then 5 minutes to steep, milk in the mug before adding the steeped coffee. 

No doubt others have their preferred 'process', personal choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 3:15 AM, Thailand J said:

Boncafe and Hillkoff are about the same price. 250g for about 120B.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 030317.png

I tried the Hillkoff French Roast based on the recommendations here. It is a good cup of coffee so thanks to those that recommended it. I buy the beans and grind myself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1