How-To Paint/Coat Unfinished-Rubberwood Door: Protect From Oils, Standing-Water

GammaGlobulin

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just an update, Folks, about PROTEGO Deck Coating product:

The information matches, my and other users I know, experience of using PROTEGO products, though I use the interior finish 

IMG_7946.jpeg.75e27c090a78b347e1bfdda8c87dbba3.jpeg

that is actually a bit more expensive than the DECKING OIL 

how ever as with all solvent based finishes wearing protection is an absolute must, for a solvent/thinner like AAA I use triple  surgical gloves as the thinner will eat through a single glove with short exposure and having had the experience of skin contact, through gloves failing, and that was minimal, I don’t want it again. I also wear a mask with organic cartridges as knowing how my skin feels makes me convinced that I don’t want the vapour in my lungs and since I usually spray my finishes my exposure is quite high. I find it easy to know that the filters are working as I smell almost nothing when using the mask but when I take it off the smell can almost knock me off my feet.

The other point is that solvent finishes and foam brushes are completely incompatible. Nylon brushes are usually OK and natural bristles are also good, but even with cleaning most are disposable however careful you are.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The information matches, my and other users I know, experience of using PROTEGO products, though I use the interior finish 

that is actually a bit more expensive than the DECKING OIL 

how ever as with all solvent based finishes wearing protection is an absolute must, for a solvent/thinner like AAA I use triple  surgical gloves as the thinner will eat through a single glove with short exposure and having had the experience of skin contact, through gloves failing, and that was minimal, I don’t want it again. I also wear a mask with organic cartridges as knowing how my skin feels makes me convinced that I don’t want the vapour in my lungs and since I usually spray my finishes my exposure is quite high. I find it easy to know that the filters are working as I smell almost nothing when using the mask but when I take it off the smell can almost knock me off my feet.

The other point is that solvent finishes and foam brushes are completely incompatible. Nylon brushes are usually OK and natural bristles are also good, but even with cleaning most are disposable however careful you are.

I would say that it is imperative to wear proper eye protection.

My hands have healed, but it took over a month.

I am an idiot, of course, for not wearing gloves without knowing more about this  product.

STILL, as I say.... I purchased this product, again.

I like its performance and resilience.

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would say that it is imperative to wear proper eye protection.

My hands have healed, but it took over a month.

I am an idiot, of course, for not wearing gloves without knowing more about this  product.

There is a post I made that was deemed to be to be useful enough that it has been pinned at the top of this forum, that includes the need for eye protection, I just didn’t repeat myself as though required in some cases and with some finishes you almost need SCUBA levels of sealing to be completely protected against organic vapour, and I haven’t needed that much so far.

This is why a seldom use solvent finishes as RTB water based is good enough for almost everything I do and is hard wearing, 10+years with cats using it as a springboard,

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 12/23/2023 at 7:20 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

how ever as with all solvent based finishes

This Christmas, I do hope that all of us will recall that WATER is also a solvent.

In fact, if you remember what we all learned in High School Chemistry Class....

Water is considered to be THE UNIVERSAL SOLVENT!!!!

Why?

image.png.363d45bc471ca40480099a65c1560410.png

My ONLY objection here is that the term SOLVENT, if water is left out of the definition, is not the accurate definition.

I just wanted to clear this up before the year 2024 rears its ugly head.

Merry Christmas, to all!

And, let us all be thankful for the Universal Solvent, water, without which life, as we know it, would not be possible.

And, keep your bodily solvents, as well as your fluids, pure, for that matter!

Also, as you know...

There IS water on the Moon.

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This Christmas, I do hope that all of us will recall that WATER is also a solvent.

Of course it is.

However anyone who buys finishes understands (or should understand) that the vocabulary used is a subset of regular English with words can, and do,  have slightly different meanings (this is true for a vast number of areas where English has special meaning for a couple of examples look at legal terminology and spoken computing English )

So when talking about finishes there are 2 main categories of dilutable finishes solvent based and water based so in the vocabulary of finish water is not classed as a solvent. For paint, in general the terms are oil and water based paint, with oil including a variety of substances not usually classed as oil.

So while your statement is true for water general English it is false when talking about finishes 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• 1 month later...

To protect an unfinished rubberwood door from oils, standing water, and other kitchen substances, consider using a wax polish for wood. This material is easy to paint onto the surface, dries quickly, and can be applied in two coats for effective protection without excessive time consumption. It maintains the visibility and enhances the woodgrain while providing a clear finish. Look for a wax polish available in centimeters, preferably near the wholesaler where the doors are purchased.

• Sad 1

To protect an unfinished rubberwood door from oils, standing water, and other kitchen substances, consider using a wax polish for wood. This material is easy to paint onto the surface, dries quickly, and can be applied in two coats for effective protection without excessive time consumption. It maintains the visibility and enhances the woodgrain while providing a clear finish. Look for a wax polish available in centimeters, preferably near the wholesaler where the doors are purchased.

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 7:07 PM, rufusbucher said:

Btw why did u laugh dude?

Just another UPDATE to this Topic....

The Deck Coating sold under the Brand PROTEGO turned out very well for me.

(PLEASE, though, wear gloves and EYE PROTECTION .....from the moment you open the can, to the time you complete the work!  I would hate to get ANY of that Protego in my eyes, or on my skin.  For sure.)

Water spilled on the coated wood beads up nicely, and even oils seem to wipe off clean and easily.  Not bad Glop, IMHO.....