Mitch McConnell freezes for second time during press event

Social Media

image.png

For the second time in just over a month, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell appeared to freeze while speaking to reporters.

At a press event in Covington, Kentucky, the 81-year-old paused for more than 30 seconds when asked whether he would run for-re-election in 2026.

Aides attempted to prompt the senator, but it took several more seconds for Mr McConnell to recover.

He then answered two more questions, which had to be repeated by staff.

He made no comments about his health, before leaving with aides.

"Leader McConnell felt momentarily lightheaded and paused during his press conference today," a spokesperson said after the incident.

A staffer later told the BBC's US partner CBS News the lawmaker "feels fine" but "will be consulting a physician prior to his next event".

Mr McConnell's first verbal lapse occurred during a press conference at the US Capitol in Washington DC on 26 July.

There, he paused mid-sentence for approximately 20 seconds, before being ushered away by his fellow Republican senators.

He later returned and told reporters he was "fine" and had felt "lightheaded".

Mr McConnell, who leads the Republican party's narrow minority in the upper chamber of Congress, was admitted to hospital for a week after suffering a concussion and a fractured rib following a fall outside a Washington area hotel in March.

He was transferred to a rehabilitation facility and did not return to the Senate until mid-April.

After the freezing incident in July, US media reported that Mr McConnell has endured at least three other falls since February.

This latest episode will again raise questions about the health of the Kentucky senator heading into what will be a busy autumn legislative session, as Congress attempts to avoid a partial government shutdown at the end of October.

An aide to Senator John Thune, Mr McConnell's deputy in the chamber, told reporters they had spoken after the incident. Mr McConnell "sounded like his usual self and was in good spirits", Ryan Wrasse said.

"We have disagreements politically but he's a good friend and so I'm going to try and get in touch with him later this afternoon," President Joe Biden said later on Wednesday.

Concern over Mr McConnell's health follows questions about the condition of 90-year-old California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein, who was absent from the chamber for months after being diagnosed with a severe case of shingles.

The average age for members of the US Senate is 65.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

He needs to be put out to pasture! Well past his use by date!

True I was trying to be considerate that beeing said he is personally responsible for much of the disfunction in our government 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No, the voters of Kentucky will send someone crazy to replace him.

That’s quite possible one thing to consider when it comes to Mitch he is a force to be reckoned with he was in his day a consummate politician extremely effective at his calling id be just fine with someone who is less effective and I do hope he’s ok

• Like 2

Term limits and age limits.  But of course the very ones who would have to vote for this to happen are also ones who want to hang on and on and on rather then serve and then leave.  It is disgusting. 

They are atticted to having people kiss their butts and tell them how wonderful they are.  How about bow out gracefully and enjoy your likely beautiful home, your likely big pile of cash etc and if you absolutely must keep your name and face out there to stoke your ego then make a deal to do appearances on news shows from your home to express your opinions, write books, columns etc.

It is a problem with both parties, both houses of congress, the supreme and other courts, all across the political spectrum.

While many people do retain their mental abilities in elderly years their bodies and their energy levels no doubt begin to decline...Sure there are the rare exceptions but it is totally obvious that many are well past their sell by dates.

I would say mandatory retirement of about 70 years old is enough....and maybe no more than 12 years max.

Won't happen though as most are ego manics who are totally addicted to prestige and power.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

It will be another fake-moderate replacing him.

But on the upside: No Trump Trash need apply.

Sweet!

Only took 7 posts to get an off topic bash Trump reply. Does he live in your head? Can you not post without mentioning him on a thread that is nothing to do with him?

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only took 7 posts to get an off topic bash Trump reply. Does he live in your head? Can you not post without mentioning him on a thread that is nothing to do with him?

Is that like you posting about Bush on a Trump thread?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can you not post without mentioning him on a thread that is nothing to do with him?

The question was:

Who will replace Weekend at Bernie's?

The answer is:

Not Trump Trash, that's for sure. After 8 years, 'still not enough juice to even put someone in the running.

A busted flush. Next year, The My Pillow idiot will be his only friend -and maybe transexual lookalike, Kari.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What I find questionable is your obsession with trump you being a foreigner.as far as mr McConnell I dislike the guy ,strongly disagree with the guy that beeing said I hope he’s ok he is/was a very effective republican politician and an incredibly effective speaker for the Republican Party he has my respect 

Edited by Tug

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

What I find questionable is your obsession with trump you being a foreigner.

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Why can't a shut-in in New Zealand be a fanboy for imaginary hardman Trump?

I'm not from New Zealand, but I still like The Thompson Twins. How is it any different?

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:59 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Please tell us you see

image.png.ba103cc2f4af27217cfbead62593caf0.png

in your post.

Edited by Sing_Sling

On 9/1/2023 at 12:08 AM, LaosLover said:

Why can't a shut-in in New Zealand be a fanboy for imaginary hardman Trump?

I'm not from New Zealand, but I still like The Thompson Twins. How is it any different?

I'm far from a fanboy for Trump, but I don't like Biden, as much as I didn't like hillary, which is a lot.

I'd be happy if Trump had done the right thing and not stood for POTUS again.

As for McConnell, he has long ago passed his use by date and should have retired long ago. It's not like he needs the money, is it?