MFP urges new PM to keep charter referendum promise

snoop1130

c1_2637262_1000.jpg

The Move Forward Party (MFP) called on Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to address a charter to hold a referendum in his initial Cabinet meeting, as previously promised. This follows the House of Representatives rejecting MFP’s push to expedite a full constitution rewrite, currently the 33rd item on the House’s agenda.

Highlighting the urgency, list-MP Parit Wacharasindhu acknowledged the House’s decision and stressed the new government’s need to prioritise a referendum in their first Cabinet session, possibly on Tuesday. He underlined the referendum’s key questions: whether to entirely rewrite the charter and how the responsible body should be chosen.

Last November, the House approved a motion, backed by 323 opposition MPS, advocating a charter to hold a referendum but the Senate later rejected it. The proposal aimed to use a referendum to assess if an elected assembly should draft a new constitution, replacing the existing one.

The MFP resubmitted a similar motion when the House reconvened, which was placed 33rd on the list. Parit argued that elevating the motion on the agenda would not impact the consideration of other issues, as MPs would merely be asked to confirm what several parties had already backed.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-pm-urged-to-prioritize-charter-rewrite-referendum-in-first-cabinet-meeting

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2

Will never happen ..... we can only guess at the promises they've made to keep Thaksin out of jail, but I'm sure that not challenging the contitution and the laws protecting the 'establishment' will be part of the deal.

Thaksin's very public display on arrival into Thailand was a bit if a giveaway too.

But while I feel sympathy for all my Thai friends, I also understand there's some benefits from stability.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

so the senate has to approve rewriting the charter - oh boy they really did double down on self protection, it seems the unelected senate have all the power, the lower house are powerless meaning the people are powerless to vote to make changes, this is not democracy when an unelected body hold all the power

And everyone said Prayut was an idiot?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Move Forward Party (MFP) called on Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to address a charter to hold a referendum in his initial Cabinet meeting, as previously promised

Srettha: "So many promises and so little time..., where is my loophole guy?"

• Haha 1