More than 60% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. Here's what researchers say is to blame.

Social Media

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Please forgive me for providing an example that demonstrates the point that many people have insufficient income to cover their basic needs.

No need to forgive you. I guess going off topic was a simple mistake by a simple mind.

Sympathy is a better option than forgiveness.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd put a 100% asset tax on anyone having more than a home + holiday home + $2M.

I'm being generous with the holiday home!

Time to stop all the greed and to redistribute land/housing to the poor.

I dreamed I saw joe hill last night - alive as you and me... 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Great. Wages at the small number of  company owned McDonalds have increased.

I don't know why people here are sympathizing with billionaires, and denigrating working class people. It's some sort of psychological condition, much as some serfs used to identify with their feudal lord, the person who kept them poor.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I don't know why people here are sympathizing with billionaires, and denigrating working class people. It's some sort of psychological condition, much as some serfs used to identify with their feudal lord, the person who kept them poor.

USA - land of opportunity, always has been, is, and always will be.

Ignore the divisive MSM.  Millions enter the country every year, many risking their lives, just for that opportunity.   

That those born there don't take advantage of it ... oh well.  So no, no sympathy for non achievers.

Financially successful people worked to be so, unless born with that silver soon, but guessing most, were not.

"There are about 22 million millionaires in the U.S. 8.8 % of U.S. adults are millionaires. 33% of U.S. millionaires are women"

source

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

USA - land of opportunity, always has been, is, and always will be.

Ignore the divisive MSM.  Millions enter the country every year, many risking their lives, just for that opportunity.   

That those born there don't take advantage of it ... oh well.  So no, no sympathy for non achievers.

Financially successful people worked to be so, unless born with that silver soon, but guessing most, were not.

"There are about 22 million millionaires in the U.S. 8.8 % of U.S. adults are millionaires. 33% of U.S. millionaires are women"

source

In a thread discussing poverty...... but but but what about the millionaires!

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Forelock tugging, its a thing. 

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

In a thread discussing poverty...... but but but what about the millionaires!

In my experience & observations, poverty is usually self induced.  Get a job, get 2 or 3 if needed.  Stop buying crap that doesn't appreciate. 

Stop using credit.  If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it, yet.

Nobody is impressed when you can't pay your bills at the end of the month.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

In my experience & observations, poverty is usually self induced.  Get a job, get 2 or 3 if needed.  Stop buying crap that doesn't appreciate. 

Stop using credit.  If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it, yet.

Nobody is impressed when you can't pay your bills at the end of the month.

That  might of course be your experience, but then again it might not be.

• Confused 1

On 9/3/2023 at 4:51 AM, KhunLA said:

With McD paying $15 an hour, I really can't see how anyone doesn't have enough money to live on.  And a couple, shouldn't have a problem buying a house, and having transport, if wanting.

A couple, making $60k a year, at McD, and more than I ever made at a salaried job.  I never broke the 50k salary mark, any year, $49+k was my best year, salary wise.

I'm not buying that people that want to work, are struggling that bad.  Along with not knowing, or my family and friends complaining about them or their kids, or grandkids struggling.

Granted, you many not live in one of the larger expensive cities, but would you really want to.

You clearly have no idea about how much the cost of housing - be it rental or privately owned - has risen in the US.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You clearly have no idea about how much the cost of housing - be it rental or privately owned - has risen in the US.

Indeed and also McDonald's pay varies based on actual job role and location. In other words the same jobs in Indiana will pay less there than NYC. 

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Yes I do, but feel free to tell me what you think I don't know.  All my pre-TH friends & family (45 yrs worth) are in the USA.  Do you really think we never talk to each other.

And I was in RE, had a RE License (still do, though inactive) and was a slum (economically depressed area) lord for 25 ish yrs.

My total tax on 1 house went up from $78 to $3800+ in less than 20 yrs, though value did quadruple.

Past 20 yrs, same neighborhood has only doubled in price.

So please educate me on RE.

I can even read MLS, and RE adverts, that counter all the MSM BS.

We'll just have to A2D, although please feel free to repeat yourself 10 more times.   But don't expect a reply.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yes I do, but feel free to tell me what you think I don't know.  All my pre-TH friends & family (45 yrs worth) are in the USA.  Do you really think we never talk to each other.

And I was in RE, had a RE License (still do, though inactive) and was a slum (economically depressed area) lord for 25 ish yrs.

My total tax on 1 house went up from $78 to $3800+ in less than 20 yrs, though value did quadruple.

Past 20 yrs, same neighborhood has only doubled in price.

So please educate me on RE.

I can even read MLS, and RE adverts, that counter all the MSM BS.

We'll just have to A2D, although please feel free to repeat yourself 10 more times.   But don't expect a reply.

First off, I don't[ have any interest in members' unverifiable claims about their experiences and their expertise. And while you may claim to know a lot about real estate prices and how they've escalated, you seem entirely unaware ofthe relationship between the cost of shelter and wages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First off, I don't[ have any interest in members' unverifiable claims about their experiences and their expertise. And while you may claim to know a lot about real estate prices and how they've escalated, you seem entirely unaware ofthe relationship between the cost of shelter and wages.

.... nuff said

Then PLEASE STOP replying to my post, if you don't believe anything I post.

edit: never mind, issue sovled.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

.... nuff said

Then PLEASE STOP replying to my post, if you don't believe anything I post.

edit: never mind, issue sovled.

When you provide evidence, as in the case of EV's, I agree more often than not. But mostly, I don't except anyone's so say about their experience when it comes to public policy matters. If the discussion is about tiling a floor, that's a different matter.

• Like 1