ESSO takeover by Bangchak

Banana7

Bangchak has bought out Esso in Thailand from Exxon, deal is closing in November 2023 according to other media.

Esso has a reputation for quality fuel, much better quality than all Thai fuel companies including Bangchak. Also, some Thai fuel company filling stations have been caught with pumps that dispense less fuel than shown on the pump.

For diesel fuel, which other company sells diesel without sediment? If you are a current Esso customer, will you use Bangchak fuel or change to another brand?

Edited by Banana7
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Far more sensible to switch to an EV

I haven't bought any fuel in the last 2.5 years.

image.jpeg.d12c23afa558a8d2a18a1e8a56619ca6.jpeg

There isn't a charging network to support mass-adoption yet, and literally most models are first generation, beyond a Telsa which I cant rationally afford, I wouldn't trust any of these Chinese brand cars will be functioning in 10 years. ICE and fuel to support ICEs will be needed for at least another 20 years

Edited by circa02
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Our EV's don't have any cobalt in their batteries.  

The charging network is currently superb for the EV's in Thailand.

Given the current numbers of EV's on the road. 

Now, is the charging network superb enough for mass adoption ? - that was the point made.

Are you sure your EV's don't have Cobalt in their batteries ??.. 

Cobalt is an essential part of lithium-ion batteries and give them their range and durability. 

It is highly likely the battery in your E.V. contains... 

- lithium cobalt oxide (LCO),

- lithium manganese oxide (LMO),

- lithium iron phosphate (LFP),

- lithium nickel cobalt aluminium oxide (NCA) 

- lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide (NMC)

The mining for these heavy metals for batteries is most definitely not environmentally friendly. 

The transport and processing of these metals for batteries is most definitely not environmentally friendly. 

An E.V. has a higher carbon footprint than an I.C.E. when it rolls off the production line, primarily because of the batteries - it takes approximately 6-8 years (depending on use) for the average E.V. to break even with the average I.C.E vehicle from a carbon foot print perspective. 

At zero miles an E.V. has a far higher carbon-footprint than an I.C.E.

Thats not to suggest E.V.s are no good, they are excellent and help significantly with air-quality in areas of high population density and vehicle use. 

But, people are pulling the wool over their own eyes if they think an E.V. is 'cleaner' than an I.C.E. - when considering the full lifespan of a car (from manufacture to disposal) they are not and they wont be. 

As much as I like E.V's I can't help but consider we should have gone the carbon capture route.

What I dislike about E.V's is not the vehicle itself, but the owners making ridiculously polished claims that conveniently ignore absolute facts...

i.e. your E.V. battery has about...

- 8 kilograms of lithium

- 14 kilograms of cobalt

- 20 kilograms of manganese

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Are you sure about that?

Any link to a credible source to prove that?

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, which are used in many EV models, does not contain Cobalt. On the other hand Cobalt is used in the process of refining oil.