Mohamed Al Fayed, former Harrods and Fulham FC owner, dies aged 94

Social Media

image.png

Mohamed Al Fayed, the Egyptian-born businessman who owned the department store Harrods, has died aged 94.

His death comes almost 26 years to the day after the car crash in Paris that killed his eldest son, Dodi, and Diana, Princess of Wales, on 31 August 1997.

In a statement released by Fulham FC, his family said: “Mrs Mohamed Al Fayed, her children and grandchildren wish to confirm that her beloved husband, their father and their grandfather, Mohamed, has passed away peacefully of old age on Wednesday 30 August 2023.

“He enjoyed a long and fulfilled retirement surrounded by his loved ones. The family have asked for their privacy to be respected at this time.”

Fayed was born in Alexandria and was the son of a schoolteacher.

His break in business came after he met his first wife, Samira Khashoggi, the sister of Saudi millionaire arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi, who employed him in his Saudi Arabian import business.

The role helped him forge new connections in Egypt and he went on to launch his own shipping business, before becoming an adviser to one of the world’s richest men, the Sultan of Brunei, in 1966.

He moved to Britain in the 1970s and in 1979, with his brother Ali, he bought the Paris Ritz Hotel.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That's the first I've heard of this.

Links please.

Fayed was married from 1954 to 1956 to Samira Khashoggi. He worked with his wife's brother, Saudi Arabian arms dealer and businessman Adnan Khashoggi, uncle of the murdered dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Al-Fayed#References

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That's the first I've heard of this.

Links please.

From the OP:

On 9/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, Social Media said:

His break in business came after he met his first wife, Samira Khashoggi, the sister of Saudi millionaire arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi, who employed him in his Saudi Arabian import business.

I don't think he was importing bananas.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Fayed was married from 1954 to 1956 to Samira Khashoggi. He worked with his wife's brother, Saudi Arabian arms dealer and businessman Adnan Khashoggi, uncle of the murdered dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Al-Fayed#References

1 minute ago, ballpoint said:

From the OP:

I don't think he was importing bananas.

Both are far from conclusive he was an arms dealer. Maybe he was, I don't know.

But claims should be substantiated.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sing_Sling said:

Shoved it up the royals, also a good thing.  Still they got away with it. 

If Dodi was not finger banging some royal chick he might still be alive to bury his father.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Sad 1

A sad life came to an end; did he eventually manage to obtain British citizenship? He failed on various attempts, despite the loose change, reputation and his attempts to shoulder-rub with royalty. Maybe he knew, what really happened in that Parisian tunnel some 26 years back........