Is raw opium now category 5 drug in Thailand?

driveout

18 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Whats the difference between Class 2 Medicinal Opium and Class 5 Opium ?

image.png.1219ec5744c12b143b4dec8372931822.png

I guess the raw form of opium that comes direct from the plant without any changes or some kind of mix, just 100% raw natural opium. The medical version is probably extracted. 

Edited by driveout
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, driveout said:

I guess the raw form of opium that comes direct from the plant without any changes or some kind of mix, just 100% raw natural opium. The medical version is probably extracted. 

Ahh ok, thanks.

Thats were my cat 2 and cat 5 confusion comes into it.

so just to clarify.

If one takes a knife to the poppy and makes a small incision in the pod, then lets the resulting opium latex drip on to a pre rolled cigarette, would this be legal?

asking for a friend. 

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not sure why the reclassification to Cat 5 (if it happened) is an issue.  The fine and prison time seem the same for both, according to driveout's lawyerly link.

Category 5: fine of up to Baht 1,500,000 (one million, five hundred thousand Thai baht) and imprisonment not exceeding 15 years;

If its for personal use like 1 gram that will just give you fine of maybe 2000baht and  maybe maximum of 1 month prison time. It depends what you do with it, if you distribute it in large quantities then it applies to the high punishment. But if you have coka 1 gram it’s for sure prison time.  

I am guessing category 5 is soft on persona use of the drugs and if you don’t have large amounts. 

maybe I am totally wrong.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, driveout said:

It says: 

• Category 5 consists of narcotics which do not belong under category 1 – 4, such as opium.

Permission

In general, unless permission is obtained, the manufacture, import, export, sale, possession and use of narcotics in Thailand is prohibited. . .....................................

Category 5: fine of up to Baht 1,500,000 (one million, five hundred thousand Thai baht) and imprisonment not exceeding 15 years;

7 hours ago, driveout said:

I found this information on a website:

"Category 5 consists of narcotics which do not belong under category 1 – 4, such as opium"

Category 5 belongs to drugs such as Kratom and cannabis. So opium is legal in Thailand?

No, as it is still a narcotic and illegal to use. Says so in your own link.

11 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, as it is still a narcotic and illegal to use. Says so in your own link.

yes its right, it is illegal, but the punishment is not to bad for personal of 1 gram or so. I mean when did cannabis become cat 5, was it on the other cat before?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1