Thailand’s free visa initiative to boost Chinese tourist influx by 700,000

webfact

renato-marques-rgLncTOEHGk-unsplash.jpg

Thailand‘s government’s initiative to issue free visas to visitors from China is expected to boost visitor figures by 700,000 during the high season, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

TAT governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool noted that Thailand typically receives between 350,000 and 400,000 Chinese visitors monthly, totalling 2.1 million in the first eight months of this year.

Thailand accounted for approximately 3% of all outbound tourists from mainland China, the highest proportion for any overseas destination. This data does not include travellers from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. The average spend for Chinese tourists per trip was reported to be 40,000 baht.

In the first half of 2023, 40.3 million Chinese tourists ventured abroad, with 93% opting for short-haul destinations. The new Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s proposal for offering free visas is predicted to draw more tourists in the fourth quarter as the TAT supports the addition of more flights between the two countries.

Chuwit Sirivejkul, TAT’s regional director of marketing for East Asia, suggested the free visa policy should be rolled out within the first two weeks of September to allow operators to market their packages for China’s national holiday in October, which typically sees a surge in travel, often exceeding the New Year holiday period.

by Alex Morgan 

TOP Photo by Renato Marques on Unsplash

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thailands-free-visa-initiative-to-boost-chinese-tourist-influx-by-700000

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Thailand may grant visa exemption for Chinese tourists in October

image.jpeg

The Thai government is likely to introduce visa exemption for Chinese tourists in an effort to boost arrivals over yearend, as arrivals during the first seven months of this year have fallen short of target.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports estimates that between 5 and 7 million Chinese tourists would have visited Thailand from January to July, but only two million arrived, largely due to the economic slowdown in China, forcing many Chinese to be more careful in their spending.

According to Thai travel agencies, news, including fake news in Chinese media, about their compatriots being preyed upon by Chinese gangs in Thailand, have raised concern among tourists about their safety. Also, many Chinese have chosen to travel within their country, which is far cheaper.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-may-grant-visa-exemption-for-chinese-tourists-in-october/

-- Thai PBS 2023-09-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea...I love TAT math....2.1M divided by 8 equal 262,500.  TAT math that typically adds a zero or two, rounds-up unrealistically, counts anything moving as a tourist, etc.

I'd say she's referring to current monthly levels which have gradually recovered from the low early months, which is likely why she used the word " typically " rather than " every ".

Jan - 91,841

Feb - 155,656

Mar - 269,773

Apr - 328,414

May - 285,547

June - 311,888

July - 410,311

34 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

How ‘bout some free visas for Western tourists?

I can't see it myself?  They know that most Thailand newbies or non-regulars from the west are already catered for enough under the 30 day visa free arrival.  Free visas to the remaining long stayers or regulars won't make much difference as they are already used to the current system.  I will say though that the increase to 45 days visa free last year did entice me to change my normal 30 day trip to 6 weeks?  

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

How ‘bout some free visas for Western tourists?

They already get them, 30 day visa free entry., but pay for a 60 day tourist visa. China, India and some other countries don't get visa-free, they pay for a visa on arrival at the airport. I think this is what they are going to give them for free, not a 60 day tourist visa. 

17 hours ago, smedly said:

hate to be the bringer of bad news but the chinese have had enough of rip off thailand imo, there are other places to go than this rip off dump

Yes, one just needs to read the OP; 93% of Chinese outbound tourists opting for short-haul destinations (not incl. HK, Macau, and Taiwan), and (only) 3% choosing Thailand, meaning that by far most of those tourists (almost 90%) favour other (short-haul) destinations, some of them, (like Japan and South Korea) more expensive than Thailand. Wonder, what other countries are more attractive to them than Thailand...

It took a long time for Europeans to find Thailand unattractive or boring ("Hasn't everyone been there yet?"), but, perhaps, the Chinese got to this point quicker. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

8 hours ago, kinyara said:

I'd say she's referring to current monthly levels which have gradually recovered from the low early months (...)

Some of the long holidays in China were earlier this year, and the economic situation there has just worsened recently, with people spending less. Doubtful whether a free visa will make a difference.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1