How do Thais stay slim?

FruitPudding

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Thais eat way more veges and fruit than farangs. They often eat too much and get gas.

Farangs don't eat enough fruit and veg also, Thais often have rice and a meat dish, missing veg, but there is a massive fruit and veg market in Pattaya so some must be eating, just not enough

• Like 2

From a blogger I just read yesterday . 

I lived in Japan for two years, and lost a ton of weight. I drank a lot of alcohol, ate whatever food was convenient, and never consciously exercised. I lived upstairs from a Genkizushi sushi shop, and across the street from Chuuka Ton-Ton with excellent ramen and surprisingly large Jumbo Bikkuri Gyoza. I had a car, but walked and took public transportation because it was more convenient. After two years of Japanese life, my BMI was 19, just on the underweight side of healthy.

I now live in an American suburb. I track my diet and exercise on apps. I have a home gym with weights, a Peloton exercise bike, and VR boxing subscriptions. I have another gym at work. My BMI is 29, overweight bordering on obese.

I’ve thought about the reasons for this. Why did I get thin without trying in Japan, then get fat while trying to stay thin in the USA? If you were trying to design the perfect obesogenic society to make people fat, you would do two things:

1. Subsidize low-nutrient foods with a lot of calories, like corn.
  2. Use fear, zoning restrictions and tax laws to keep people away from sidewalks, parks, and “the gym of life.”

America does both of these things. Due to the peculiar way Americans select presidents, Iowa has outsized political influence. Iowa also grows a lot of corn, so it’s not surprising that American agricultural policy favors corn. Modern varieties of corn, and especially those varieties processed into corn syrup, have calories but not much else. Our bodies didn’t evolve to directly sense the taste of nutrients, but they did involve to sense some tastes and aromas that are often seen alongside nutrients, sensations that are a reasonable heuristic for nutrition in wild and natural foods. If your body tells you to eat until it senses that you have tasted enough, and you eat bland foods like corn, you’ll consume a lot of calories and still be hungry. If your tongue tells you to eat until it has tasted enough, you can consume a lot of calories of corn syrup. On the other hand, traditional Japanese restaurants serve small amounts of carbs (rice or noodles) intensely flavored with small amounts of high quality protein and fat (fish in sushi or pork slices in ramen). Japanese cuisine is quality over quantity, while common American food is the opposite. It’s easier to stop eating after a few bites of intensely flavored carb/fat/protein medley than a few bites of bland fat-free sweetened engineered food.

At the same time that Americans consume more calories than Japanese people, Americans move around less. American zoning laws encourage large residential areas with no commercial areas nearby. Where there are commercial areas, there are huge parking lots which are unpleasant to walk through. Parking spaces occupy the area that a sensible construction would use for walking paths. Japan is the opposite. There are plenty of walking paths and pedestrian-only areas. Mixed zoning with stores on the first floor and residential units above are common, and possible without requirements for a parking space per bedroom or restaurant table. Parking and highway tolls in Japan are expensive, so people are encouraged to walk and take public transportation.

Finally, American media encourages people to be afraid. Afraid of kids getting abducted while walking to school, so they are driven instead. Aftaid of the neighbors calling the police because your kids are outside, so kids play inside instead. Afraid of crime on public transportation, so everyone drives instead. Afraid of ticks and mosquitoes and sunburns and nature so everyone stays inside and watches screens instead. Japan has giant swallow hornets (so called because the hornets are as large as a small bird like a swallow) that kill dozens of hikers a year, but nobody stays out of the mountains because of them.

It’s possible to live a healthy lifestyle in America if you constantly invest time and effort, eat unlike most Americans and live unlike most Americans. It’s easy to live a healthy lifestyle in Japan by just being lazy, eating common restaurant food and taking the easiest path from home to work to shopping. Being unhealthy in Japan requires as much extra work as being healthy in America.

401.9K views

View 4,695 upvotes
View 27 shares

Upvote

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jerryonjay said:

I lived in Japan for two years, and lost a ton of weight. I drank a lot of alcohol, ate whatever food was convenient, and never consciously exercised. I lived upstairs from a Genkizushi sushi shop, and across the street from Chuuka Ton-Ton with excellent ramen and surprisingly large Jumbo Bikkuri Gyoza. I had a car, but walked and took public transportation because it was more convenient. After two years of Japanese life, my BMI was 19, just on the underweight side of healthy.

I now live in an American suburb. I track my diet and exercise on apps. I have a home gym with weights, a Peloton exercise bike, and VR boxing subscriptions. I have another gym at work. My BMI is 29, overweight bordering on obese.

I’ve thought about the reasons for this. Why did I get thin without trying in Japan, then get fat while trying to stay thin in the USA? If you were trying to design the perfect obesogenic society to make people fat, you would do two things:

2. Use fear, zoning restrictions and tax laws to keep people away from sidewalks, parks, and “the gym of life.”

America does both of these things. Due to the peculiar way Americans select presidents, Iowa has outsized political influence. Iowa also grows a lot of corn, so it’s not surprising that American agricultural policy favors corn. Modern varieties of corn, and especially those varieties processed into corn syrup, have calories but not much else. Our bodies didn’t evolve to directly sense the taste of nutrients, but they did involve to sense some tastes and aromas that are often seen alongside nutrients, sensations that are a reasonable heuristic for nutrition in wild and natural foods. If your body tells you to eat until it senses that you have tasted enough, and you eat bland foods like corn, you’ll consume a lot of calories and still be hungry. If your tongue tells you to eat until it has tasted enough, you can consume a lot of calories of corn syrup. On the other hand, traditional Japanese restaurants serve small amounts of carbs (rice or noodles) intensely flavored with small amounts of high quality protein and fat (fish in sushi or pork slices in ramen). Japanese cuisine is quality over quantity, while common American food is the opposite. It’s easier to stop eating after a few bites of intensely flavored carb/fat/protein medley than a few bites of bland fat-free sweetened engineered food.

At the same time that Americans consume more calories than Japanese people, Americans move around less. American zoning laws encourage large residential areas with no commercial areas nearby. Where there are commercial areas, there are huge parking lots which are unpleasant to walk through. Parking spaces occupy the area that a sensible construction would use for walking paths. Japan is the opposite. There are plenty of walking paths and pedestrian-only areas. Mixed zoning with stores on the first floor and residential units above are common, and possible without requirements for a parking space per bedroom or restaurant table. Parking and highway tolls in Japan are expensive, so people are encouraged to walk and take public transportation.

Finally, American media encourages people to be afraid. Afraid of kids getting abducted while walking to school, so they are driven instead. Aftaid of the neighbors calling the police because your kids are outside, so kids play inside instead. Afraid of crime on public transportation, so everyone drives instead. Afraid of ticks and mosquitoes and sunburns and nature so everyone stays inside and watches screens instead. Japan has giant swallow hornets (so called because the hornets are as large as a small bird like a swallow) that kill dozens of hikers a year, but nobody stays out of the mountains because of them.

It’s possible to live a healthy lifestyle in America if you constantly invest time and effort, eat unlike most Americans and live unlike most Americans. It’s easy to live a healthy lifestyle in Japan by just being lazy, eating common restaurant food and taking the easiest path from home to work to shopping. Being unhealthy in Japan requires as much extra work as being healthy in America.

401.9K views

View 4,695 upvotes
View 27 shares

Upvote

Maybe roids made him heavier, higher BMI

1 hour ago, jerryonjay said:

401.9K views

View 4,695 upvotes
View 27 shares

Upvote

Interesting

I wonder if there are similarities in this to back West in the 60s and 70s? There was a lot less fat people then too.

Less processed empty junk and more real nutrient dense foods.

Genetically they tend to be smaller and of a slighter build.  Some of the Thai guys at my gym are in fine shape, low body fat etc but they struggle to build muscle mass almost to a man.  My GF's sister eats like a horse and is 38kg, she is drinking 2 litres of Pepsi most days as well. She is oblivious to any negative health effects this might have.

Many of them are getting fat though and when I pick my step daughter up from school seeing obese kids and kids with completely rotten teeth is just normal.  They live at 7/11 and the markets selling almost exclusively fried foods, deserts and high sugar drinks.   When I walk around these markets with my partner I usually pass on everything, it is just utter junk. They can drink an awful lot of calories and are oblivious to it.  Those bubble tea drinks that are everywhere can have 300+ calories and mountains of sugar and are available as little as 20 baht.    The lack of education and the convenience of it all is going to really cause a lot of health problems.

There are a lot of fat people in the UK but I'd say there is a much higher % of very healthy people too 

some of my observations on this

I bounce back btwn LOS and US--6 months each....so ill be heading home in oct..

where it will get colder i will get outside less to bike-exercise--and want carbs and heavy foods

due to cold--stew-meats--etc,,,,much like the bear eating before winter "hibernation"

I come back to LOS and LOSE weight..its hot--want to eat less and lighter foods--i am outside biking and moving---hydration-drink tons of water etc.....so i lose weight without even trying

Lately ive been biking and when i get home late too tired to cook and dehydrated so i have been getting a salad--fruit--avocados yogurt..maybe an boiled egg.. dropped the meat and lost 10lbs

so eating healthy and biking--the old classic true way to lose weight..i also eat once a day as i drink green tea with sugar to fuel my bike rides..may also get another 7-11 fuji tea and  2 deep fried chicken cubes from the chicken lady daily...still eat bread and rice but much much less

Even when i go home after 6 months blood pressure UP and doc wants me on cholesterol meds for life.....I asked for 6 months in LOS and re check blood...BP-weight and Chol levels all improved

So i basically live thai and eat local as thais (some)eat western and get fat..aka KFC soda junk

BUT also I think the genetics come into play as some thais are slim and others are quite big

I had a roomie back home and he was thin as a rail...BUT his diet OMG  NEVER ever saw him eat a veggie or fruit....meat and junky processed meat...a whole block of scrapple at 3am.....etc..so just as he was slim i wouldnt say he was healthy.....also had a roomie who was so big he had surgery but he ate JUNK,,ground beef-hamburger--MnMs candy and had 96 cans of Pepsi in the fridge.....bought the same junk every week and in bulk,.....junky cheese..frozen fries and the like

So he lost alot of weight after the surgery..BUT..yep..like and addict he slowly went back to that junk and got big again......so it all comes down to "moving" and healthy food choices imo as i used to have to walk and bike a pretty good distance before i had a car..lost weight on that too as i are junky and drank alot of booze back then....nowadays rarely do i drink booze or soda, so my current weight now in CM is 86 KG 190lbs which is prob the best its been in quite awhile....

forget all those stupid fads/books.....just eat REAL food..less food n meat, and move your body

just do like the thais and get in on the arm swing groove!   or just jump into the Big C aerobics!

I was just to lazy to cook my chicken breast at night but not missing it and doing good on my daily ONE meal diet of salad+fruit+veggie+avocado+yogurt....plumbing has improved as well!

• Haha 1

Thais are getting fatter, or maybe I should say more Thais are getting fat. The ones who are still slim eat a lot less sugar than Americans (and, I guess, British and Israelis). I first came to Thailand in 1971. It's changed. Actually, it's changed a lot since Thaksin was first chosen Prime Minister.

1 hour ago, sampson said:

Genetically they tend to be smaller and of a slighter build.  Some of the Thai guys at my gym are in fine shape, low body fat etc but they struggle to build muscle mass almost to a man.  My GF's sister eats like a horse and is 38kg, she is drinking 2 litres of Pepsi most days as well. She is oblivious to any negative health effects this might have.

Many of them are getting fat though and when I pick my step daughter up from school seeing obese kids and kids with completely rotten teeth is just normal.  They live at 7/11 and the markets selling almost exclusively fried foods, deserts and high sugar drinks.   When I walk around these markets with my partner I usually pass on everything, it is just utter junk. They can drink an awful lot of calories and are oblivious to it.  Those bubble tea drinks that are everywhere can have 300+ calories and mountains of sugar and are available as little as 20 baht.    The lack of education and the convenience of it all is going to really cause a lot of health problems.

There are a lot of fat people in the UK but I'd say there is a much higher % of very healthy people too 

See same thing. I see them checkout at 7/11 and it's just mountains of pure crap especially around pay day, I think eventually any biological resilience is going to fall through, but for what it's worth many of them seem currently immune to side effects at present, they are getting away with it, for now...

Edited by circa02

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Mostly it has to do with their genes, also they're not into heavy carbs, such bread potatoes and pastas sweets and other kinds of sugar intake like non Thai, the also don't eat as often as us and when they do it's smaller portions, also they move a lot owing to their life style.

I can confirm that. During the pandemic I mostly stayed at home, eating, among other things, a lot of potatoes, and sweets stuff, but also eating, basically, all day out of boredom. I gained a lot of weight. After the pandemic I tried for five months to lose weight by hiking, which, however, didn't help. Instead I have been slowly losing weight after I returned to Thailand by sweating the weight off, i.e. by often not turning on the aircon, amazing, but true.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Rice(sugar) , Corn(sugar) Noodles(sugar) Sugar... sugar

while your at it         ..look up the term    "skinny fat"

and throw in Insulin resistance for a kicker

like other countries in the Western Pacific region, Thailand is facing increasing numbers of patients with diabetes due to unhealthy diets, high obesity rates, and an aging society.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bob smith said:

thais are getting fatter by the day.

the obesity crisis is well and truly in full swing here.

however I tend to agree with a lot of what you have said.

I know a lot of thais who drink beer daily, eat like pigs and are stick thin.

go figure.

The issue isnt traditional diet, its the rise of processed and fast foods,  

• Like 1