What is Russia’s ‘Satan II’ hypersonic intercontinental nuclear missile?

Social Media

image.png

Russia has said that Moscow’s RS-28 Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), nicknamed “Satan II” – capable of carrying ten or more nuclear warheads – has been rolled out on “combat duty”.

The head of Russia's space agency Roscosmos said that the missiles had entered active duty, the state-run news agency RIA reported. In June, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Sarmat missiles would be deployed for combat duty "soon".

Prior to that, defence committee deputy chairman Aleksey Zhuravlyov had used it as a threat when he was interviewed by state broadcaster TV Russia 1 in May regarding Sweden and Finland’s aspirations towards joining Nato in light of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Finland joined the alliance earlier this year, while Sweden is still waiting to be ratified.

Mr Zhuravlyov claimed that Moscow could unleash Satan II to strike back at those nations and at the UK and US, which the Putin regime regards as the key organising forces behind Nato.

FULL STORY

independent.png

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

An intercontinental missile as a threat to Norway and Sweden.

How stupid is that.

Maybe he should do some geography lessons and study the US arsenal in the 14 submarines.

Exactly. Once Russia starts firing nukes, there will be a swift answer from US submarines. And the UK and France probably also have a submarine (or several) that can fire nukes, so they will join in. All the main Russian cities and industrial areas will turn to nuclear wasteland.

Having said that, it’s more than a little alarming that a lunatic like Putin can order the launching of this weapon. Whether the order will be obeyed remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let’s hope it’s a (hype) weapon much like their military a not so great corrupt poorly lead poorly armed bunch of blundering barnyard beasts perhaps the oligarchs will take notice and decide Mr Putin isn’t worth the risk

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

An appropriate name for a missile owned by the ORC Master. 

I have a gut feeling his own Generals will murder him before he had any chance to issue a launch order. They know the consequences of such an action and they aint' wedded to this nitwit, only to their status and perks.

Mushroom clouds would spoil their Black Sea holiday plans, and regular high price hooker visitations markedly.

And with Putin gone, they could convert his palace into an R+R and conference center for the higher ranks.

14 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

These ARE dangerous and sophisticated weapons , and the one controlling them is a dangerous lunatic himself ...

What could possibly go wrong ?

Trump has yet to be reelected surely?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Let’s hope it’s a (hype) weapon much like their military a not so great corrupt poorly lead poorly armed bunch of blundering barnyard beasts perhaps the oligarchs will take notice and decide Mr Putin isn’t worth the risk

If it's like and administered like most of the rest of its military, it'll probably fail.

On 9/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, Tropposurfer said:

An appropriate name for a missile owned by the ORC Master. 

I have a gut feeling his own Generals will murder him before he had any chance to issue a launch order. They know the consequences of such an action and they aint' wedded to this nitwit, only to their status and perks.

Mushroom clouds would spoil their Black Sea holiday plans, and regular high price hooker visitations markedly.

Do Not rely on the generals. The recent Ukrainian drone attack on a Russian airbase 700 km from Ukraine, made Shoigu  convinced that it was a NATO attack, and wanted to retaliate. Putin had to talk him out of it. There is mad, and stupid, which is worse....

• 4 weeks later...

I have worked with Makayev, the designer of Sarmat, this is just a knockoff of the original SS-18, which was made in Ukraine. All ICBMs are hypersonic, because of the laws of physics thing.

I am not that familar with Sarmat, although I have been to the factory where the engines were made (Energomash). I had more experience with SS-18. I once went to a Russian jail involuntarily with the chief designer of the SS-18, not so much fun.

The factory that made SS-18 is still functional. I wonder what they are making now?

• Like 2

An aside:

I once went to an SS-18 (Satan 1) launch at the Baikonur cosmodrome. After the launch, everyone got very drunk at the Kosmonaut hotel, but then we had to fly back to Moscow.

The airplane was an old Tu-154, and it was hot that day. So it was a bummer that the engines wouldn't start. I found out that emergency exit doors on the Tu-154 can be opened on the ground, since everyone opened them, due to the heat.

The airport was so small, they didn't have an engine starter. So, the mechanic went back to the engines, and smashed them with a hammer. That did the trick.

And we were off to Moscow.