Thai women trafficked into Indian brothel seek legal action

snoop1130

8 hours ago, Jealous Lazy Westerner said:

Are you dumb , did you ever visit India . Did you watch people <deleted> on open field . Which country you from Mr . Old fart GrandDaughter slayer . Stop fake and jealous propaganda against India . Better take care your ( wives & gf)  grand daughters , and continue your disguising family line here in Thailand but without hate against a particular community .

+1

42 minutes ago, BusyB said:

They don't target the smart ones, they go for the vulnerable ones because they're the ones who fall for it.

Too easy to blame the victims of what is a serious crime involving fraud, kidnapping, trafficking, extortion and forcing people into prostitution.

How good that we on ASEAN Now lead such pristine lives and are so knowledgeable - especially about people we've never met.

I don't see where he is blaming the victim, they are still victim, they didn't get what they were promised. But to say they didn't know it was a brothel, you have to be or very gullible or quite pretentious, they are not that stupid, unless there is few Thais living under a rock, they share a lot about life and business. Prostitution is illegal, officially, so they are not going to say that they were going there for this, they have to keep face also.

Doesn't change the fact that these scammers have to be stopped. It still a nightmare, sex worker or not, to be held in a room and forced to have sex many times a day for free or nearly nothing and in disgusting condition. Well take the sex out of the equation and imagine being force to work for much less than promised. It happens a lot in Qatar, they hold their passport (by law) and give back when the contract is done or when they wish, they don't always pay what was promised. When people are hungry, they don't even need to be greedy, but many are taking the risk because it could change their life for the better.

10 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Wow - it's like you all think that poor girls with Grade 8 educations from poor villages should automatically know all the cons of the world and be able to do detailed internet searches to detect possible scams.

And think they should be automatically suspicious if a "friend" tells them of an opportunity where they could make huge money and they meet another Thai who no doubt spins them a tale as well and fills their heads with dreams of easy money.

Decades ago, Nepal stopped allowing their women to leave the country to go work elsewhere. 
I wondered why (in Afghanistan) we could hire Nepalese men but not women. Turns out that Nepal had a problem with INDIAN men promising Nepalese women big money for working menial jobs like maids and waitresses.

But of course, once they entered India their passports would be stolen by their employeers and they'd be thrown into a brothel. If they were lucky, they might be able to escape after a couple years.

It was happening so often because most Nepalese women have little or no education and even less experience dealing with foreigners. The lure of making 3-5 (or more) times the money for doing the same job is pretty strong when you are living below the poverty line.

The "brothel" scam has also been going on for decades here as well. A friend of mine told me she'd been offered a "modeling" job in Indonesia (back around 2008) and it supposedly paid huge money compared to what she was making. I cautioned her and showed her some recent news stories about Thai women rescued from brothels in South Korea and other places that had also been offered "modelling" jobs.

Same deal - it was a "friend" who told her about the deal. Some pimp pays a Thai woman to scout out possible victims and probably pays her a fee for each one she convinces to take the job. The girls think the woman is just being nice and trying to help them out like an older sister or aunt.

Even in Canada. I knew a girl (early 20s), not overly attractive. She was telling me her sister had been offered a job teaching in Japan. As soon as I saw the sister's photo I knew it was a scam. She was HOT.
She may have been magazine material even (good mags, not the cheap sleazy kind). If there had been OnlyFans back then, she'd have been a star.

There was no way she was being recruited to teach English in Japan. Especially not for the crazy amount of money she was apparently being offered.

But it seems the idea of not even having to be a qualified teacher in order to get a very high paying job in a school in a foreign country was too good to be true.
(I never did hear if she took the job.)

So it's not just dumb farm girls that get lured into scams like this.

I agree that the ladies in question are only "guilty" of naivety, probably brought about by lack of education and poverty. (I suppose greed must be considered too.)

This sort of scam has operated in the Middle East as well for decades. I think (hope!) I managed to prevent one incidence of it back in the nineties:

A working lady i knew in Phuket told me she was offered a "maid" job in Kuwait for big money.

Knowing what i knew, I explained the implausibility of the offer and asked her some searching questions like:

Do you know the person making the offer personally?  and  Do you know anyone else whose taken up such an offer? and Have you got a contract that can be checked?

Having received the answer No to all the above, i told her my fears about the offer and suggested she re-thought it.

I hope she did..... because like @Kerryd I don't know the outcome.

16 minutes ago, VBF said:

I agree that the ladies in question are only "guilty" of naivety, probably brought about by lack of education and poverty. (I suppose greed must be considered too.)

This sort of scam has operated in the Middle East as well for decades. I think (hope!) I managed to prevent one incidence of it back in the nineties:

A working lady i knew in Phuket told me she was offered a "maid" job in Kuwait for big money.

Knowing what i knew, I explained the implausibility of the offer and asked her some searching questions like:

Do you know the person making the offer personally?  and  Do you know anyone else whose taken up such an offer? and Have you got a contract that can be checked?

Having received the answer No to all the above, i told her my fears about the offer and suggested she re-thought it.

I hope she did..... because like @Kerryd I don't know the outcome.

I worked in Qatar, there is few ugly maid stories but it's still a very popular job, especially for Filipinos, they can really get a good salary, my sister and her husband who has Qatari nationality were paying decently their maid and other house workers (still nothing compare to how rich they are), they had free housing too. The maid in question came through an agency, today she is working in Canada and have a successful career, this job gave her the financial boost she needed to realize her dream, very courageous and dedicated woman.

So for your friend, it's totally possible to get a very well paid maid job there but it can also end up being a terrible story, I don't know how often it happens though, some were abused and beaten up. They have a lot of money but they also have a lot of power, many of them don't see much reason to respect poor people.

You did well to warn your friend but it's not completely impossible that the offer is genuine.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jealous Lazy Westerner said:

Are you dumb , did you ever visit India . Did you watch people <deleted> on open field . Which country you from Mr . Old fart GrandDaughter slayer . Stop fake and jealous propaganda against India . Better take care your ( wives & gf)  grand daughters , and continue your disguising family line here in Thailand but without hate against a particular community .

I have been there and yes it’s dirty and nasty some parts of the city is just open sewers , never go again . I know Indian people back in my country that won’t go there ????

Just a side note: The India government is considering changing the country's name to "Bharat," meaning "fire" in Sanskrit or the Hindu king Bharata. So they would get referred to as "Barats," a celebratory wedding procession? Or worse in English as barrats?

20 hours ago, geisha said:

The girls that fall for a scam like this are usually uneducated girls from poor families. Don’t be harsh.

It could be lack of education but I believe its greed blinding many.  For example I met a girl working in an eatery near Udon Thani who told me of a Nigerian she met online who was arriving in the near future but wanted to send his luggage first.  It was like she was telling me a joke but didnt get the punch line herself.  My wife and I tried to warn her of the consequences and chances of something going wrong but she would not here of it, she seemed to have taken the hook plus the line and sinker.  Next time we went that way the eatery was gone so no idea of the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 7:02 AM, Srikcir said:

Just a side note: The India government is considering changing the country's name to "Bharat," meaning "fire" in Sanskrit or the Hindu king Bharata. So they would get referred to as "Barats," a celebratory wedding procession? Or worse in English as barrats?

Don’t worry about India . 
Ask your Government to return back all the looted money , jewels especially Kohinoor Diamond . Thieves