Motorcyclist Killed in Traffic Accident in Chonburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi — A 63-year-old man was killed and another motorcyclist was injured in a traffic accident in the Phanat Nikhom district of Chonburi province on September 5th.

Preliminary investigations by the authorities suggest that the deceased individual, Mr. Sawet Chathaisong, was attempting to make a sharp right turn into the right traffic lane when he was collided into by another motorcyclist, Mr. Ekarin Yottrakot, 24, who was traveling at a high speed.

The collision caused both drivers to be thrown onto the road surface. Mr. Sawet was pronounced dead at the scene, while Mr. Ekarin suffered moderate injuries and bleeding from the ear but is now in stable condition.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/09/06/motorcyclist-killed-in-traffic-accident-in-chonburi/

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

-- THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-09-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

'Screaming' and 'Ivorbiggun' would consider themselves fools if they were to ride a motorcycle in Thailand as they have no experience.

In fact I know a few farangs here in Thailand that will not drive a car due to the standard of Thai drivers. They get their wives to ferry them around. So it's not just motorcyclists.    :dnftt:

In 2022, the Thai RSC recorded 551 foreign deaths on Thailand's roads. A further 7,912 foreigners were injured. Similarly, 78.64% of the 2022's foreigners killed were driving motorbikes. Again, 69.96% of those were male and 29.99% were female.Feb 16, 2566 BE

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

In fact I know a few farangs here in Thailand that will not drive a car due to the standard of Thai drivers. They get their wives to ferry them around. So it's not just motorcyclists.    :dnftt:

So they are not very good drivers also? I really do not understand the point of your post?

I know many foreigners here who ride motorbikes - so......?

Not sure who you think is trolling unless it is you.........:coffee1:

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only a fool makes such sweeping generalisations... :whistling:

In this case it seems clear that the deceased simply cut across traffic without looking.

For those who ride well, the influence of the above behavior has no bearing on their risk profile. 

When others ride, drunk, speed, ride carelessly, use their phone etc it elevates the accident and fatality stats, however those stats are aggregate and are not representative of the risk faced by individual riders who are careful, wear riding gear, ride defensively, never while drunk, never speed, never take a chance etc etc... 

Thus: The blanket sweeping statements such as the above are fundamentally flawed and suffer from a lack of critical thought.

But even so 80% of road deaths in Thailand are motor cyclists. Compare this with the stats from other countries where motor cyclists do mostly obey the road laws. I notice the comment above "for those who ride well" "for "those who obey the road laws" would be more meaningful.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Besides, what's that got to do with motorcycling?

It's because of the way motorcyclists drive here. How often does one see, in a day, a m/cist stop at a junction and look right before joining traffic? I'd say rarely if at all. It's the fear of the law etc that deters some farangs not to drive here in Thailand. Having been involved in an accident with a m/cist myself and being the innocent driver I know how the cops deal with accidents involving farangs and it's not fairly done. They look to their own first.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

4 hours ago, topt said:
5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So they are not very good drivers also? I really do not understand the point of your post?

When you subtract motorcyclists from the road fatality stats on a per-captia basis (i.e. road deaths per 100,000 of population) the statistic shows that there are more road deaths per 100,000 people in The USA than in Thailand. 

Here's the Calcs: 

USA Population: 331.9 million people.

Total Road fatalities 2021: 42939 deaths (5636 of them motorcylists) = Total 4 wheels+ = 37303 deaths.

= 11.24 Deaths per 100,000 of population in 4 wheeled vehicles and larger.

Thailand population: 71.6 million people: 

Total Road fatalities: 25,000 (80% of them motorcyclists) = Total 4 wheels+ = 2000 deaths.

= 6.98 Deaths per 100,000 of population in 4 wheeled vehicles and larger.

Status indicate that the USA is 1.6x more dangerous than Thailand to drive or ride in anything 4 wheels and larger. 

Now someone will come long and question those stats (facts) and suggest they don't tell the whole story, they'll want fatalities per KM per 100,000 of population etc..    and, as always stats may not tell the whole story. 

And that (stats not telling the whole story is my point), the person who never rides without a helmet is already significant altering where he fits in the risk profile that the aggregate (80%) status suggest. 

The road fatality stats which are primarily contributed to by people ride carelessly, recklessly, stupidly and without helmets are not representative of someone who is trained, rides defensively, never drunk, never speeds, wears a helmet etc...  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topt said:
6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The logic is flawed.... 

He suggest those who suggest Thai's are terrible drives get a Thai to drive !!....   that's not really very well thought out.

One of the very reasons I prefer driving here is so that I'm in control (although around town I can't be bothered with driving very much and the Wife does much of the driving).

One of the very reasons I never take a motorcycle taxi is because I don't want to put my safety directly in the hands of someone who significantly under-educated with either no or a plastic rubbishy helmet. 

I have a motorcycle for my convenience, for my safety when I need get somewhere nearby. 

Add to this, there are many sub-soi's in Bangkok which have no pavements (sidewalk) and walking along the edge of the road is hazardous... riding motorcycle for these trips is often safer than walking !

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, kennw said:

"for those who ride well" "for "those who obey the road laws" would be more meaningful.

There’s definitely a safety disparity between the two. “for those who drive well” doesn’t necessarily mean driving with the flow of traffic and lawfully such as competing to get ahead and around other vehicles. If one can’t handle driving behind a woman on a Scoopy driving the speed limit then you’re driving too fast, right? Living life on the edge on the with success to date is waiting for the miscalculated consequences. Every day countless times I see people roll out without looking and seen a few collisions with these occurrences. So anyone justifying their experience by way of their ability to dance around on the road and competing with other traffic is just plain stupid. If driving within the law and maintaining bubble/radius and awareness, then chances are one may not experience a collision.

33 minutes ago, novacova said:
3 hours ago, kennw said:

"for those who ride well" "for "those who obey the road laws" would be more meaningful.

There’s definitely a safety disparity between the two. “for those who drive well” doesn’t necessarily mean driving with the flow of traffic and lawfully such as competing to get ahead and around other vehicles.

As I wrote that comment 'for those who ride well'... I'll clarify....

..... 'for those who follow the road rules and ride carefully and defensively'. 

If one can’t handle driving behind a woman on a Scoopy driving the speed limit then you’re driving too fast, right? Living life on the edge on the with success to date is waiting for the miscalculated consequences. Every day countless times I see people roll out without looking and seen a few collisions with these occurrences. So anyone justifying their experience by way of their ability to dance around on the road and competing with other traffic is just plain stupid.

Agreed...  somethings 'will be' impossible to avoid at some point. 

A few years back I saw the brake lights of the car in front, so I checked my mirror then quickly looked over my right shoulder to check if I could change lanes (car approaching fast in right most lane of three), as I turned back the car in front had stopped already and I couldn't change lanes - I also stopped in time but had to brake hard !!... 

The car in front stopped in the middle lane of a 3 lane road for no apparent reason whatsoever, there was nothing in front of him and no junction. 

As impossible as predicting the unpredictable is, riding with a genuine understanding that the most unpredictable actions can and will unfold in-front of your eyes makes things just that little bit safer. 

If driving within the law and maintaining bubble/radius and awareness, then chances are one may not experience a collision.

I haven't so far...  But that doesn't stop people turning out of a soi without looking and riding straight towards me on the wrong side of the road....   the reason I have not been hit by a bike pulling out is because I never hug the kerb, instead I 'hold my lane' and ride with the speed of flowing city traffic and when traffic slows, filter through. 

One think I notice here is that many drivers are well aware that motorcyclists filter through, the vast majority leave space too, but there is always that one in twenty who are oblivious and think they are the only person in the world, leaving the same 'lane space' as the car in front hasn't entered their consciousness !... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

In 2022, the Thai RSC recorded 551 foreign deaths on Thailand's roads. A further 7,912 foreigners were injured. Similarly, 78.64% of the 2022's foreigners killed were driving motorbikes. Again, 69.96% of those were male and 29.99% were female.

Those are some incredible statistics.

To put that in context there were 1,695 fatalities in Great Britain in 2022 on the roads.

21 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
1 hour ago, transam said:

The old guy pulled out in front of a chap using the fast lane and paid for it.

A daily occurrence.......????

No such thing as a 'fast lane'. It's an 'overtaking lane'

Pedantic much ?????   Fast lane is a colloquialism and every one knows it means 'right hand most lane' when referring to left hand driving roads.

... but if you want to really get juvinile and pathetically nit-picky...  it could be argued that 'every lane is an overtaking lane in Thailand'....  Or that when in Thailand passing on the left is 'technically under-taking'...   But to continue any debate when it's clear to any reader with a brain exactly what was meant would be as pointless as the comment you have made.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

In 2022, the Thai RSC recorded 551 foreign deaths on Thailand's roads. A further 7,912 foreigners were injured. Similarly, 78.64% of the 2022's foreigners killed were driving motorbikes. Again, 69.96% of those were male and 29.99% were female.

Those are some incredible statistics.

To put that in context there were 1,695 fatalities in Great Britain in 2022 on the roads.

The stat looks damning...

Of the 303 male and 130 female foreigners who died on Thailands roads on motorcycles in 2022, it would be interesting to know how many...

- Did not have helmets.

- Were drinking.

- Were speeding.

- Had ridden anywhere else before.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

One think I notice here is that many drivers are well aware that motorcyclists filter through, the vast majority leave space too, but there is always that one in twenty who are oblivious and think they are the only person in the world, leaving the same 'lane space' as the car in front hasn't entered their consciousness !...

See this with car drivers much too often as well, some just blatantly ignore motorcycles assuming the motorcycle driver notices them let alone predicting, creating a dangerous situation especially when a good number of motorcyclists are cellphone distracted delivery drivers. Anyway be careful because someone WILL pop out of nowhere right in front 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Turned right without looking at what was coming up behind him, no indicators, bet he wasn't wearing a helmet either.

A helmet isn’t necessarily going to save someone from getting killed, though it will no doubt will reduce the chances. 

5 minutes ago, novacova said:
11 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Turned right without looking at what was coming up behind him, no indicators, bet he wasn't wearing a helmet either.

A helmet isn’t necessarily going to save someone from getting killed, though it will no doubt will reduce the chances. 

IF involved in a motorcycle accident a helmet is the single most effective way to reduce fatalities and severe injuries.

According to the CDC, IF involved in a motorcycle accident wearing a helmet cuts down the risk of dying by 37%

IF involved in a motorcycle accident wearing a helmet cuts down the risk of a brain injury by 70%.

As you mentioned 'it will no doubt reduce the chances'...  and helmet wearing is proven to significantly reduce the severity of the outcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The stat looks damning...

Of the 303 male and 130 female foreigners who died on Thailands roads on motorcycles in 2022, it would be interesting to know how many...

- Did not have helmets.

- Were drinking.

- Were speeding.

Foreigners on Thai roads in one year: 551 deaths/7912 injuries 78.64% of which on motorcycles. Makes me wonder how many foreigners that live here know this, I certainly didn’t. Maybe near 0% of the visitors know. It doesn’t take much of hit to get seriously mangled and no seatbelts on motorcycles to help save the rider.

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

In 2022, the Thai RSC recorded 551 foreign deaths on Thailand's roads. A further 7,912 foreigners were injured. Similarly, 78.64% of the 2022's foreigners killed were driving motorbikes.

All the Burmese and Lao, even worse drivers than the Thais, on much worse maintained 50 year old Honda Dreams patched up with homemade parts.

49 minutes ago, novacova said:

Foreigners on Thai roads in one year: 551 deaths/7912 injuries 78.64% of which on motorcycles. Makes me wonder how many foreigners that live here know this

Why wouldn't they. Nearly all are Lao and Burmese, and grew up where the roads are even more dangerous. ????

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

- Did not have helmets.

- Were drinking.

- Were speeding.

Nearly all grew up in neighboring countries. Cambodia, Lao and Burma, so would have grown up riding on much worse roads than Thailand. Most likely didn't wear a helmet. If you've never ridden on the roads in those countries, pure carelessness was probably more of a cause than drinking or speeding in many cases. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

it could be argued that 'every lane is an overtaking lane in Thailand'..

So do you, along with most Thais, believe that the left hand lane, hard shoulder is a motorcycle lane?

(My comment was tongue in cheek)….

But, no. You described a hard shoulder it’s not a driving / riding lane & its something I avoid because I consider it more dangerous… it has debris, gravel, sand etc, poor visibility of cars & bikes pulling out & they do so without looking.

When on such a highway, I ride in the main driving lane at the same speed as the traffic around me on a bike capable of those speeds.

That said, I hardly ride on highways as we use our car for any reasonable distance, it’s just more comfortable.

MC is used In town for convenience, if not traffic / lane splitting I’ll stick to the middle lane, but that’s also very ‘situation dependent’.