Baked Beans

NickyLouie

12 hours ago, transam said:

But far more expensive........????

Brooks are from SPC, Shepparton Preserving Co. Shepparton in Vic, Aussie.  72 Baht for  425g can. Not too expensive, if you enjoy a good bake bean.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Was thinking how skint do you have to be, to ask friends to bring baked beans over.   Especially with the limited amount of luggage they are allotted.

If bringing anything, bring something expensive here, that cheap there.  If from UK or EU ... maybe an 'Instant Pot' ... see below why.

Buy dried and make your own.  Canned beans, straight out of the tin, taste like crap anyway, and I can believe people actually eat them that way.

Don't want to soak them overnight or cook for a while in slaw cook afterward, buy a pressure cooker, or better, an 'Instant Pot', Duo 7 in 1 cooker, and eliminate the need for the other 5, as it doesn't do (1) rice very well.

Also get 2 minute noodles/tomato sauce/meat/cheese/etc etc etc.

5 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Brooks are from SPC, Shepparton Preserving Co. Shepparton in Vic, Aussie.  72 Baht for  425g can. Not too expensive, if you enjoy a good bake bean.

Ayam are pretty gross, and can't believe people actually eat them.  We I bought them, it was Brooks after discovering.  Although I'd pour the tomato sauce, and doctor up the rest, add veggies & meat.  

Straight from the can, I can't do it, and wouldn't give it to my dog without tweaking.   Since silly priced now, (3@220 ????) we just get dried beans from Makro.

6 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Tried it. Crap

Really, never tried myself, as don't like them anyway.  We do baked beans more as a casserole dish, side or even a main meal, depending what's in it.

Usually: onions, green/red peppers, spicy sausage, leaning toward a bbq sauce flavor, spiced up with Cayenne pepper.  Nothing even close to what comes out of a tin.

How Mum served them up as a youngin', never out of the can.  Ham instead of sausage, and not spicy.

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really, never tried myself, as don't like them anyway.  We do baked beans more as a casserole dish, side or even a main meal, depending what's in it.

Usually: onions, green/red peppers, spicy sausage, leaning toward a bbq sauce flavor, spiced up with Cayenne pepper.  Nothing even close to what comes out of a tin.

How Mum served them up as a youngin', never out of the can.  Ham instead of sausage, and not spicy.

They should have not named the recipe as Heinz. Taste was nothing like the real thing. I buy 4 cans of baked beans a month to satisfy my addiction to English breakfasts, beans touching of course.

Like you, I use dry beans for casseroles, salads and even Indian recipes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, malt25 said:

I enjoy a good bean too, but at 49 bht for 425gm, and English recipe.........:clap2:..................????

Start with dried small white navy/pea beans (widely available in Big C, Tescos's, and stores like Villa).  Cook them and then bake them in an oven to make regular, or better yet Boston Baked Beans.  The only important difference is that you use brown sugar for regular baked beans and molasses for Boston Baked Beans, but that makes a notable change in the taste.

Boston Baked Beans - allrecipies

You can find black strap molasses on Lazada if you search for "food grade molasses".

If you don't have an oven get a counter top one and you can make roast meats, roast vegetables, and baked good ranging from baked beans to cakes, cookies, and even flans.

Cooking is easy, fun, and lets you fix meals like those from your country of origin for much less cost that what you would pay at a restaurant in Thailand.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

'Instant Pot', Duo 7 in 1 cooker,

The appliance you mention is quite an AMAZNG addition to any kitchen, and something I have not seen before. I want one, for sure!

Note: Which of these do you think is best for the money? Are they available in Thailand or China, do you know? I will buy, for sure! I have 3 large Panasonic rice steamers, but the DUO, as you say does not do rice well. (I don't like cooking fumes in the house, and so electrical appliances such as this are best, especially when all rooms in a house are under AirCon.)

Maybe the Duo can do a better job on Black Beans, compared to a slow cooker, too.

image.png.86b5878d73ab0dad2bf2f2bbbd476e3b.png

The price in Thailand for any of these is bound to be higher, even if they are available.

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The appliance you mention is quite an AMAZNG addition to any kitchen, and something I have not seen before. I want one, for sure!

Note: Which of these do you think is best for the money? Are they available in Thailand or China, do you know? I will buy, for sure! I have 3 large Panasonic rice steamers, but the DUO, as you say does not do rice well. (I don't like cooking fumes in the house, and so electrical appliances such as this are best, especially when all rooms in a house are under AirCon.)

Maybe the Duo can do a better job on Black Beans, compared to a slow cooker, too.

image.png.86b5878d73ab0dad2bf2f2bbbd476e3b.png

The price in Thailand for any of these is bound to be higher, even if they are available.

They're a bit silly priced here, compared to US (<$100 USD), UK or EU.  Saw the 3L mini Duo 7 in 1 on LAZ for 10k.  Large enough for us, then they go up in price for 5 or 7L.

Almost bought it, but we have so many appliances already, only advantage really for us would be the pressure cooker, for beans and meat (beef stew or Massamans).  So gave it a pass.

If just starting to stock kitchen with appliance, it does cut out the need for most, oven or stove top cooking.  As I stated, doesn't do rice well.

Instant Pot 3L

other size & prices

You want the 'Duo 7 in 1' as newest version I believe

Edited by KhunLA

19 hours ago, transam said:

I buy below, Ayam English recipe at Tesco, big tin 49 bht, eat half, the rest in the fridge, but I eat the lot.

I also add a pinch of chilli powder, then microwave to heat........????

Baked Beans English Recipe 425g

I don't give fart about the make.????

• Sad 1

The canned baked beans are all to sweet for me. I prefer a Pinto bean so make up my own Cajun beans, the recipe is very similar to that of the red beans, used in red beans and rice. Here are the fixin's for a big pot.

1609666_10151862933691266_2086948639_n.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Heinz for me.

Having work colleagues coming every month.... they stack their carry on with goods for me !!

Can't you buy them near  where you live? 1 can is only slightly dearer than the UK for example, seen them here for b70 UK £1.40 (B62) for 415 gram tin

57 minutes ago, marin said:

The canned baked beans are all to sweet for me. I prefer a Pinto bean so make up my own Cajun beans, the recipe is very similar to that of the red beans, used in red beans and rice. Here are the fixin's for a big pot.

1609666_10151862933691266_2086948639_n.jpg

Finally, someone with taste buds, and mirrors our beans at home a bit ????

Add some Tomato sauce, Siracha, bbq sauce & seasonings.

3 hours ago, Seppius said:

Can't you buy them near  where you live? 1 can is only slightly dearer than the UK for example, seen them here for b70 UK £1.40 (B62) for 415 gram tin

Absolutely can buy local but I can get em cheaper from home.

Got 4 packs of these coming on Monday.... Bt120.00 ea delivered to my work office.

image.png.7d2d31c4ee1f1a7a369adc4a57fc8c91.png

Edited by Ralf001

On 9/7/2023 at 6:39 PM, transam said:

I buy below, Ayam English recipe at Tesco, big tin 49 bht, eat half, the rest in the fridge, but I eat the lot.

I also add a pinch of chilli powder, then microwave to heat........????

Baked Beans English Recipe 425g

It was not that long ago the the 49Bt tin was about 42Bt. another case of companies blaming the Ukraine war and the Chinese virus to over charge people.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

"Fornicate yourself?"

What kind of friends do you have, anyway?

Anyway, I was not suggesting that you ask your friends to do the desiccation, but rather suggest that baked beans, after cooking, can be dried and then reconstituted with water, and that they will taste the same.

So, my question is why you do not just buy something like "freeze-dried baked beans", which can be shipped over without the water, and then add Thai water to the beans?

image.png.f37731678bb7d5a51cf8e2149817ac76.png

Think of your poor friends carrying around suitcases of baked beans when such backbreaking effort can be easily avoided if you choose the desiccated option, instead.

And why don't you just buy the dried/washed beans to begin with, and then get a slow-cooker, and make the beans yourself? I bet that your beans would be better than any beans from a can, for sure.

This is what I plan to do.

I really do not like, too much, food from a can.

I have read too many stories of soldiers in the field surviving on cold beans in the can.

Won't you need to cook your rice, anyway?

Or, do you just eat the beans as a single course, without eggs, sausage, bacon, tomatoes, etc.?

I only mean that you will need to do quite a bit of cooking even if you use canned beans, and so why not just cook the beans before you cook the other things?

"Fornicate yourself?"

You may well just do that, by using a slow cooker.

I would suggest you don't cook dried beans in a slow cooker unless you want to poison yourself and maybe others.

The dried beans used to make baked beans contain a toxin phytohemagglutinin which is not destroyed unless the beans are boiled at 100 degrees C for 30 minutes.

Never Make This One Popular Food in Your Slow Cooker, FDA Warns (yahoo.com)

Edited by LosLobo

22 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It's in the video.

SIMPLE!

Some guy from Maine shows us how...

Simple and effective.

Or, if you want the Heinz brand and don't want to dehydrate yourself...

image.png.012f71a0bc34f90f353bc5145af9154a.png

Same principle.

Just Google it.

You could probably save a lot of money on overweight luggage.

You are removing about one pound of water per can!

Plus, you do not need the can because you can pack in plastic PE bags.

Best solution, I would think.

Those look suspiciously like American field rations, ghastly stuff!

It was amazing what they would do in the Gulf to get hold of British Rations, I got a pair of boots and one of those super comfy camp beds in exchange for a 4 man ration pack.

Mind you, having seen the "Meals Ready to Eat" (MREs) that they were supposed to live on - Meals Rejected by Ethiopians as the blokes called them.

To be fair, I really needed the boots - the heat caused my up to the minute British "Boots Combat High" to separate from their soles!

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1