Baked Beans

NickyLouie

49 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

"Fornicate yourself?"

You may well just do that, by using a slow cooker.

I would suggest you don't cook dried beans in a slow cooker unless you want to poison yourself and maybe others.

The dried beans used to make baked beans contain a toxin phytohemagglutinin which is not destroyed unless the beans are boiled at 100 degrees C for 30 minutes.

Never Make This One Popular Food in Your Slow Cooker, FDA Warns (yahoo.com)

Important information.

However, fortunately, the "slow-cooker" I use does boil when switched to the HI setting.

Although, as is also the case, boiling would only reach 100 degrees C at sea level.

Boiling beans at Mount Everest Base Camp?

At what temperature does water boil Base Camp, Everest?

Base Camp is a mythical place, and could be anywhere at the base of the mountain.

But, if the elevation was 5,000 meters, then would it be possible to safely boil your beans?

Maybe not, according to the FDA link you provided.

This is why I suggested desiccated beans, or freeze-dried baked beans.

What is the temperature of boiling water at Base Camp?

Around 95 degrees C.

Not sure if the FDA would be OK with this temp for safely cooking beans.

And then you would need to carry extra fuel to Base Camp for the extended boiling time required.

16 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I Really do not understand why I would choose a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Check out who gave you this suggestion of "bean dehydrating" at the first place. See the kind of stuff he posted and you'll have a better understanding "why...."

On 9/8/2023 at 7:30 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

And why don't you just buy the dried/washed beans to begin with, and then get a slow-cooker, and make the beans yourself? I bet that your beans would be better than any beans from a can, for sure.

This is what I plan to do.

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Important information.

However, fortunately, the "slow-cooker" I use does boil when switched to the HI setting.

Although, as is also the case, boiling would only reach 100 degrees C at sea level.

Boiling beans at Mount Everest Base Camp?

At what temperature does water boil Base Camp, Everest?

Base Camp is a mythical place, and could be anywhere at the base of the mountain.

But, if the elevation was 5,000 meters, then would it be possible to safely boil your beans?

Maybe not, according to the FDA link you provided.

This is why I suggested desiccated beans, or freeze-dried baked beans.

What is the temperature of boiling water at Base Camp?

Around 95 degrees C.

Not sure if the FDA would be OK with this temp for safely cooking beans.

And then you would need to carry extra fuel to Base Camp for the extended boiling time required.

'This is why I suggested desiccated beans, or freeze-dried baked beans'.

I am sure you also ultimately suggested to @Ralf001 to use 'dried/washed beans' and 'slow cooker' as you planned to do.

It is commendable that you have a 'slow cooker' that achieves boiling point at sea level.

Perhaps you should also check with @Ralf001 to see if he has one that does the same and warn him about the dangers involved if he doesn't.

Also, I am not sure how Boyle's Law is relevant to Thailand or this topic.

On 9/9/2023 at 11:46 AM, LosLobo said:

'This is why I suggested desiccated beans, or freeze-dried baked beans'.

I am sure you also ultimately suggested to @Ralf001 to use 'dried/washed beans' and 'slow cooker' as you planned to do.

It is commendable that you have a 'slow cooker' that achieves boiling point at sea level.

Perhaps you should also check with @Ralf001 to see if he has one that does the same and warn him about the dangers involved if he doesn't.

Also, I am not sure how Boyle's Law is relevant to Thailand or this topic.

I think you might be bloating this out of proportion.

First, who is going to munch on raw dried beans?

In order to get dried beans into an eatable state, you must boil them.

I have used a slow-cooker for years to cook beans, such as adzuki beans, without incident.

If you need further information about how to properly prepare dried beans for various recipes, I will provide this link:

image.png.3ea4134415b0d029086ad5bc286e2777.png

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/anti-nutrients/lectins/#:~:text=The Problem With Lectins&text=The most publicized accounts report,%2C stomach upset%2C and diarrhea.

If you do not trust HARVARD.EDU, then please find your own site, and then post your own link.

Hope the above has been helpful...

Now, go ahead..and..

Gas away!

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think you might be bloating this out of proportion.

First, who is going to munch on raw dried beans?

In order to get dried beans into an eatable state, you must boil them.

I have used a slow-cooker for years to cook beans, such as adzuki beans, without incident.

If you need further information about how to properly prepare dried beans for various recipes, I will provide this link:

image.png.3ea4134415b0d029086ad5bc286e2777.png

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/anti-nutrients/lectins/#:~:text=The Problem With Lectins&text=The most publicized accounts report,%2C stomach upset%2C and diarrhea.

If you do not trust HARVARD.EDU, then please find your own site, and then post your own link.

Hope the above has been helpful...

Now, go ahead..and..

Gas away!

'In order to get dried beans into an eatable (sic) state, you must boil them'.

You are preaching to the choir here.

Yet, you are the one who recommended that others should use a slow cooker to prepare raw/dried beans and not boil them.

Now, you post a citation from Harvard that supports my OP stating that boiling is required and does not recommend using a slow cooker.

'However, raw beans simmered at low heat such as in a slow-cooker or undercooking the beans will not remove all the lectins'.

'Accounts report severe reactions in people eating even small amounts of raw or undercooked kidney beans. They contain phytohaemagglutinin, a type of lectin that can cause red blood cells to clump together. It can also produce nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, and diarrhea'.

'I think you might be bloating this out of proportion'.

I suggest that you are the one that 'might be bloating this out of proportion.'

With respect, why don't you just accept the facts and thank me for pointing out the error of your OP and move on.

Lectins | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I DID!

Did I not state...GOOD INFORMATION!?

It IS good information!

It is IMPORTANT information.

So thank you.

Yet, you are still unable to accept the fact or make a retraction that you posted a recommendation that was not 'GOOD INFORMATION which had the potential to make someone very ill.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1