Baked Beans

NickyLouie

I've seen the 4-pack of Heinz Baked Beans in a couple of Villa Markets. Individual portion microwave pots. Very expensive for what they are though. Think around the 300 baht mark. Much less sweet than the Ayam Brand. Some of the online Ex-pat food shops stock baked beans and will deliver.

33 minutes ago, transam said:

I buy below, Ayam English recipe at Tesco, big tin 49 bht, eat half, the rest in the fridge, but I eat the lot.

I also add a pinch of chilli powder, then microwave to heat........????

Baked Beans English Recipe 425g

Is that a British company with great beans since 1892 ????

Nah ... started by a Frenchie ... OMG

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Is that a British company with great beans since 1924 ????

No, was started in 1892 by a French bloke.

I think they have only been doing their "English" style recipe a year or so, well I first saw them then.

Though I don't know why or how they got to call them English recipe, most of us Brits eat Heinz Baked Beans, so perhaps they can't quote Heinz recipe, eh.....????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

most of us Brits eat Heinz Baked Beans

I stopped a few years ago - Branston (or even Tesco) seem to taste better to my aging taste buds.

Many food in the west are becoming less tasty as the trend is for less salt and sugar to stop our youngsters getting too fat.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, London Lowf said:

I stopped a few years ago - Branston (or even Tesco) seem to taste better to my aging taste buds.

Many food in the west are becoming less tasty as the trend is for less salt and sugar to stop our youngsters getting too fat.

Heinz beans with lashings of HP sauce............... :licklips:

I don't like the Branston beans at all...????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Dehydrate a can of Heinz beans....how the feck would that work ?

It's in the video.

SIMPLE!

Some guy from Maine shows us how...

Simple and effective.

Or, if you want the Heinz brand and don't want to dehydrate yourself...

image.png.012f71a0bc34f90f353bc5145af9154a.png

Same principle.

Just Google it.

You could probably save a lot of money on overweight luggage.

You are removing about one pound of water per can!

Plus, you do not need the can because you can pack in plastic PE bags.

Best solution, I would think.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It's in the video.

SIMPLE!

Some guy from Maine shows us how...

Simple and effective.

Or, if you want the Heinz brand and don't want to dehydrate yourself...

image.png.012f71a0bc34f90f353bc5145af9154a.png

Same principle.

Just Google it.

You could probably save a lot of money on overweight luggage.

You are removing about one pound of water per can!

Plus, you do not need the can because you can pack in plastic PE bags.

Best solution, I would think.

Open the can of beans , dehydrate them and put in plastic bags ?

How do I rehydrate them and put back in cans with the sauce ?

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Open the can of beans , dehydrate them and put in plastic bags ?

How do I rehydrate them and put back in cans with the sauce ?

Respectfully: Did you watch the video I linked, which shows exactly how this is done? The guy in Maine, USA, uses a machine which desiccates most of what is in the can, except the piece of ham/bacon fat that is often included in every can of baked beans.

What I think that I will do is to just make my own baked beans using a slow-cooker or an oven, or something, because, after searching here in CM, at the larger retailers, I think canned goods are mostly overpriced.

Maybe there is a wholesaler in Thailand that would sell directly to consumers if one were willing to buy in sufficient quantity? But this I do not know yet.

Anyway, I, too, should add beans to my diet, and I have been aware of this for some time.

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Respectfully: Did you watch the video I linked, 

Yeah, no I did not watch video.

Engaging in practices for a solution to a problem that does not exist seems utterly ludicrous to me.

Not to mention if I ask work colleagues to open the cans, dehydrate the beans then place into plastic bags (the sauce goes in a separate bag ?) before they place in their suitcase.... yeah well they gunna tell me to fornicate myself.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah, no I did not watch video.

Engaging in practices for a solution to a problem that does not exist seems utterly ludicrous to me.

Not to mention if I ask work colleagues to open the cans, dehydrate the beans then place into plastic bags (the sauce goes in a separate bag ?) before they place in their suitcase.... yeah well they gunna tell me to fornicate myself.

"Fornicate yourself?"

What kind of friends do you have, anyway?

Anyway, I was not suggesting that you ask your friends to do the desiccation, but rather suggest that baked beans, after cooking, can be dried and then reconstituted with water, and that they will taste the same.

So, my question is why you do not just buy something like "freeze-dried baked beans", which can be shipped over without the water, and then add Thai water to the beans?

image.png.f37731678bb7d5a51cf8e2149817ac76.png

Think of your poor friends carrying around suitcases of baked beans when such backbreaking effort can be easily avoided if you choose the desiccated option, instead.

And why don't you just buy the dried/washed beans to begin with, and then get a slow-cooker, and make the beans yourself? I bet that your beans would be better than any beans from a can, for sure.

This is what I plan to do.

I really do not like, too much, food from a can.

I have read too many stories of soldiers in the field surviving on cold beans in the can.

Won't you need to cook your rice, anyway?

Or, do you just eat the beans as a single course, without eggs, sausage, bacon, tomatoes, etc.?

I only mean that you will need to do quite a bit of cooking even if you use canned beans, and so why not just cook the beans before you cook the other things?

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

"Fornicate yourself?"

What kind of friends do you have, anyway?

Anyway, I was not suggesting that you ask your friends to do the desiccation, but rather suggest that baked beans, after cooking, can be dried and then reconstituted with water, and that they will taste the same.

But they are perfectly fine in a can.

I Really do not understand why I would choose a solution to a problem that does not exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Think of your poor friends carrying around suitcases of baked beans when such backbreaking effort can be easily avoided if you choose the desiccated option, instead.

Was thinking how skint do you have to be, to ask friends to bring baked beans over.   Especially with the limited amount of luggage they are allotted.

If bringing anything, bring something expensive here, that cheap there.  If from UK or EU ... maybe an 'Instant Pot' ... see below why.

Buy dried and make your own.  Canned beans, straight out of the tin, taste like crap anyway, and I can believe people actually eat them that way.

Don't want to soak them overnight or cook for a while in slaw cook afterward, buy a pressure cooker, or better, an 'Instant Pot', Duo 7 in 1 cooker, and eliminate the need for the other 5, as it doesn't do (1) rice very well.