Outrage over Abbas's antisemitic speech on Jews and Holocaust

Social Media

20 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

“Higher standard”?

????????????

You’re accepting of Israeli crimes because “worse crimes are being committed by others” 

What a perfectly moral and logical stance to take.

That's not at all what I said.

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

As it stands, the Palestinians have two choices:

1. Die in silence

2. Die fighting

Hypothetically,if the Palestinians were to go full Gandhi - nothing but non violent protest and also dropped all of the religious and bigoted rhetoric - what would that achieve for them?

Would the rest of the world step in to impose peace in the Middle East or would it simply allow Israel to accelerate the theft of the remaining land?

Normally, in any David v Goliath situation, it is David that garners overwhelming support - why is it not so here?

I agree that the Palestinians have been treated very unjustlly. It's a disgrace. But what does that have to do with Abbas making antisemitic comments? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I agree that the Palestinians have been treated very unjustlly. It's a disgrace. But what does that have to do with Abbas making antisemitic comments? 

Why do you think Abbas made those comments?

Why do you think he would make derogatory comments about Jews instead of say the Nepalese or Fijians?

PS - Better take a minute to put your thinking cap on, it’s a very tricky question with an extremely high difficulty level.

33 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Why did you compare Israel’s crimes with the crimes of others?

I was referring specifically to armchair pundits who go on endlessly about Israel’s crimes while not caring a hoot about other, worse crimes taking place elsewhere in the world. This in no way excuses Israel for land theft and apartheid in the West Bank, but I was pointing out the dishonesty of holding Israel to a higher standard.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

I was referring specifically to armchair pundits who go on endlessly about Israel’s crimes while not caring a hoot about other, worse crimes taking place elsewhere in the world. This in no way excuses Israel for land theft and apartheid in the West Bank, but I was pointing out the dishonesty of holding Israel to a higher standard.

So you were minimising Israel’s crimes.

Suppose person A is a rapist and person B is a murderer - what is the point, when discussing person A of raising person B?

Stating A is bad but B is worse achieves what?

Let us suppose person C has never committed a crime.

Why did you choose to compare A with B instead of comparing A with C?

Edited by MrMojoRisin
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

So you were minimising Israel’s crimes.

Suppose person A is a rapist and person B is a murderer - what is the point, when discussing person A of raising person B?

Stating A is bad but B is worse achieves what?

Let us suppose person C has never committed a crime.

Why did you choose to compare A with B instead of comparing A with C?

No, I was not minimizing Israel’s crimes. And I have no patience for semantic rabbit holes that serve only to distract, such as what you’ve laid out. You clearly have no interest in understanding the point I’m making, so whatever ...

3 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

No, I was not minimizing Israel’s crimes. And I have no patience for semantic rabbit holes that serve only to distract, such as what you’ve laid out. You clearly have no interest in understanding the point I’m making, so whatever ...

Perhaps it is you that doesn’t understand the point you were making.

There is a reason you compared Israel’s crimes to worse crimes instead of lesser crimes?

2 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

Absolutely not. As badly as the Israeli state has treated the Palestinians, they have not rounded up six million of them and murdered them in cold blood. False equivalence.

Start your counting way back in 1948 and not in the last few years. That is 75 years

There are Palestinian families that still have the keys to the houses all over Palestine that the Israelis confiscated from that period, not counting vast areas of Palestine lands that have been stulen.

Not to mention the Israeli blockade of the land and sea around the Gaza strip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade_of_the_Gaza_Strip

The blockade of the Gaza Strip is the ongoing land, air, and sea blockade of the Gaza Strip imposed by Israel and Egypt temporarily in 2005–2006 and permanently from 2007 onwards, following the Israeli disengagement from Gaza.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/generation-under-blockade-consequences-israels-17-year-blockade-gaza-strip-enar#:~:text=From 2006 to 2022%2C Gaza's,affected received only 30% compensation.

From 2006 to 2022, Gaza’s agricultural sector suffered losses of approximately $1.3 billion as a result of the blockade and multiple Israeli military attacks; those who were affected received only 30% compensation. Throughout 2022, the electricity crisis in the Strip also persisted, with residents receiving power for only 12 hours a day in the best-case scenario. The availability of electricity is dependent on both the Kerem Shalom crossing staying open to import fuel (which Israel can close at any time for security reasons), as well as the continued funding for the fuel needed to run the Strip’s sole power plant; for years, Qatar has been providing funds for fuel.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Start your counting way back in 1948 and not in the last few years. That is 75 years

There are Palestinian families that still have the keys to the houses all over Palestine that the Israelis confiscated from that period, not counting vast areas of Palestine lands that have been stulen.

Not to mention the Israeli blockade of the land and sea around the Gaza strip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade_of_the_Gaza_Strip

The blockade of the Gaza Strip is the ongoing land, air, and sea blockade of the Gaza Strip imposed by Israel and Egypt temporarily in 2005–2006 and permanently from 2007 onwards, following the Israeli disengagement from Gaza.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/generation-under-blockade-consequences-israels-17-year-blockade-gaza-strip-enar#:~:text=From 2006 to 2022%2C Gaza's,affected received only 30% compensation.

From 2006 to 2022, Gaza’s agricultural sector suffered losses of approximately $1.3 billion as a result of the blockade and multiple Israeli military attacks; those who were affected received only 30% compensation. Throughout 2022, the electricity crisis in the Strip also persisted, with residents receiving power for only 12 hours a day in the best-case scenario. The availability of electricity is dependent on both the Kerem Shalom crossing staying open to import fuel (which Israel can close at any time for security reasons), as well as the continued funding for the fuel needed to run the Strip’s sole power plant; for years, Qatar has been providing funds for fuel.

To repeat, the Israelis have not rounded up six million Palestinian Arabs, not in the last couple of years nor in the last 75 years, and murdered them in cold blood for no other reason than that they were Palestinian Arabs. If you think cutting off someone's power for 12 hours a day is equivalent to that, I disagree.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

On the other hand they have been offered their own country since the 1930's and always said no due to their hatred of Jews and not wanting the creation of Israel, attacked by Arab armies on it's founding and since.. Israel is the victim in the middle east not so called Palestinians.

If you can remember that far back the Palestinians had their own country and it was called Palestine.

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

It is dishonest to portray the creation of the state of Israel in such simplistic terms.

What exactly is the Israeli’s right to the land they’d been absent from for how long?

Why doesn’t Israel agree to a partition along the green line with agreed upon land swaps now?

You have no idea what you are talking about.  Study first before blabbing.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you can remember that far back the Palestinians had their own country and it was called Palestine.

Sorry about that, I clicked on the wrong button.

Here are a bunch of historical maps of Palestine dating back to the time of Jesus who was actually Palestinian right up to 1948. Up until that time Israel did not even exist.

https://www.edmaps.com/html/israel_and_palestine_2.html

So Palestine has existed for several years as against the 75 years of Israel.

And now for one of Palestine in 2020.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/369154500689150802/

Palestine is a whole lot smaller now.

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Palestinians could have accepted Israel's right to exist and agreed to a two state solution when they were offered it , but they declined that offer and wanted the whole Country for themselves , they have been trying to eradicate Israel ever since , that is why they are being treated "badly"

And who gave the Israelis the right to occupy and steal Palestinians home and land to the extent of trying to exterminate the Palestinians?

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That isn't historically accurate.

There was British Mandate Palestine.

Before that Turkish rule (who aren't Arabs).

Your concept of the history there is way off base.

It's really quite perverted (and entirely predictable) that so many people are incapable of separating the Abbas ignorant statements about the holocaust and the Israeli - Palestinian conflict. 

If you want some "interesting" context consider the role of the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem who lived in Berlin during the war and got Hitler to promise to exterminate Middle Eastern Jews when he got around to it. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's really quite perverted (and entirely predictable) that so many people are incapable of separating the Abbas ignorant statements about the holocaust and the Israeli - Palestinian conflict. 

If you want some "interesting" context consider the role of the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem who lived in Berlin during the war and got Hitler to promise to exterminate Middle Eastern Jews when he got around to it. 

If there were no Israeli occupation, would Abbas have made these statements?

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

Higher standard ? Of what dishonesty? Israel is employing /repeating the tactics of vile German actions leading to the holocaust.

Being critical of Israeli oppression of Palestinians is automatically labelled antisemitic but critical comment of Iran or Saudi , Palestinian or Egyptian is not auto anti islamic ?

Worse crimes elsewhere?  Supported by ?