Is Thailand’s education system safe in the hands of Bhumjaithai Party?

webfact

image.jpeg

With a retired policeman at the helm of the Education Ministry, teachers and educators can only hope that Thailand’s education sector does not decline further under the new government.

“I don’t have any expectations,” Tanawat Suwannapan of Kru Kor Sorn (Teachers Ask to Teach) said about the appointment of Pol General Permpoon Chidchob as the new education minister.

“I just hope he won’t add burdens to Thailand’s education.”

Permpoon’s background

Brother to Bhumjaithai Party patriarch Newin Chidchob and also former transport minister Saksayam Chidchob, Permpoon graduated from Ramkhamhaeng University’s Faculty of Law.

He joined the police force in 1984 and spent 37 years in the ranks before retiring at the age of 60 in 2021. In other words, the new education minister’s career experience is limited to police work.

By Thai PBS World’s General Desk

Top picture: Pol Gen Permpool Chidchob

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-thailands-education-system-safe-in-the-hands-of-bhumjaithai-party/

-- Thai PBS 2023-09-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

How much worse could it get?

You stole my words :-)

Maybe be a turn to the better.

Demand results frim the teachers and administration of each school, not just sitting make plans. And also, if no results it has a economic consequence.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

It should also be noted that the new Education Minister was just this week implicated, with fourteen others, in the Boss/Red Bull heir hit and run cover up.

The Chidchob family strike again. To amplify.....Newly appointed education minister and former assistant national police chief Permpoon Chidchob, who officially sanctioned Nate’s decision in June 2020, was also named in the NACC’s Red Bull heir report. Niwatchai described Permpoon’s endorsement as a disciplinary violation, albeit not a grave one.

• Like 2

My advice is throw everything away and start from scratch.. First every students is obliged to go to the nearest school, temple school or government school is the same.. Not more than 25/30 students in a classroom. No more mixed classes. Print new modern lesson books, teachers who work in no so well known schools, must be spread around in the province so every school has enough teachers for each class. Working hours for teacher should be normalized it means from 7.30 to 17.00 in school and no special classes anymore. If a student needs help it must be done between 15.30 and 17.00. Students have a half day off every week and no classes or activities in the weekends. Kids must play and not in school 7 days a week. Stop with all activities as Mothers Day, Wai Kru, scouting, etc etc... Scouting can be done on voluntarily base on Saturday. School start at 1 May and the semester ends on 15 October and semester 2 starts on 1 November and ends on 15 March. 6 weeks holidays for the kids is enough in summer and 2 weeks as term break. and 1 week for the Christmas/New Years holiday. Just a few things to start with....As I would do after 20 years teaching in several Thai schools 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I am shocked too. Under the circumstances, and after the covid fiasco, and 9 long years of failed army leadership, I would have expected millions to be out in the streets. 

Maybe they have simply become apathetic, utterly complacent and compliant? Regardless, it is not a good sign. 

We have to keep in mind that mothers are averse to their kids being shot.

My younger relatives are ready for action, mums of those relatives are telling them all to calm down.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

I can confirm this for our school, but not really surprising. Helping kids get fat with a dash of diabetes since 2000.

I asked my son what he eats for school dinner, rice and chicken etc usually, I asked no fruit no, sweets from the in school shop he said.

Obviously the school are not concerned about the kids diet,

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Unless he gets to grips with the sheer amount of days off the kids have due to 'national holidays' , 'monk days' , 'teacher training' etc, the kids will continue to grow up with half the brains of other kids in the world. 

Because the government is made up of old f**** who were brought up in old fashioned system where only the well off could get a decent education for their kids they have no idea about how the kids should be educated in the modern society.

To start with kids education should be free if they really mean business, how many of the girls working in the bar industry had an education, I think next to none of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

My younger relatives are ready for action, mums of those relatives are telling them all to calm down.

With the loss of repute or anything positive related to the army, they wouldn't dare shoot a protestor. That might be enough to ignite some real fury. 

It would end up being the other way around. Mothers would be telling their sons, you shoot one single Thai, on behalf of the army, and you are never welcome back home again. 

This is not Burma, and the soldiers here do not face the desperation they do next door. The generals know the public's tolerance of their madness is limited. 

3 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

With the loss of repute or anything positive related to the army, they wouldn't dare shoot a protestor. That might be enough to ignite some real fury. 

It would end up being the other way around. Mothers would be telling their sons, you shoot one single Thai, on behalf of the army, and you are never welcome back home again. 

This is not Burma, and the soldiers here do not face the desperation they do next door. The generals know the public's tolerance of their madness is limited. 

Having said that, I do think people, and especially the youth, are scared of arrest and bring prosecuted on bogus, immoral, trumped up charges. Such as we have seen recently.

Edited by spidermike007