Kitchen sink, s-trap, air admittance valve?

OneMoreFarang

The drain below my kitchen sink is in the floor. This is in a condominium building.

I have no experience with such things, but I thought there needs to be a S-trap installed, and that's it.

Now I looked up that subject and it seems it's not so easy.

I read this article which explains why a S-trap is a bad idea.

Why S-traps are Illegal - And What to Do About them - Plumbing Sniper

They also mention an "air admittance valve" in that article. I can't find anything with that name at HomePro or Lazada.

What's the name of these things in Thailand? And are they commonly installed.

I guess this is what I need:

Sink.png.7f7e84321374ae998b7699709338f973.png

The good news is that even with an open pipe (now, before the installation) there is no smell.

I plan to ask a Thai plumber. But I like to know the "correct" way to do this before I ask him...

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The drain below my kitchen sink is in the floor. This is in a condominium building.

I have no experience with such things, but I thought there needs to be a S-trap installed, and that's it.

They also mention an "air admittance valve" in that article. I can't find anything with that name at HomePro or Lazada.

The good news is that even with an open pipe (now, before the installation) there is no smell.

I plan to ask a Thai plumber. But I like to know the "correct" way to do this before I ask him...

You can use a scew on canister catch thing, does it job, you can empty it, no smells.......

44 P Trap Sink Trap Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

3 hours ago, transam said:

You can use a scew on canister catch thing, does it job, you can empty it, no smells.......

44 P Trap Sink Trap Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

I believe those are called D-traps in the states. They are not legal there either. I have one under my bath room sink. They work well, just remember to clean them from time to time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They are called by different names.. in the USA its called a Nova Vent.

Your picture is the best way for  plumbing the sink to connect the sink if there is no vent line running out thru the roof, which you may not have in a condo and based on thai plumbing. There should be main waste and vent stacks but no guarantee. The article you linked isn't actually completely accurate but close. If you have a vent stack there is no negative pressure created as you draw air in from that vent stack, without a vent stack then yes you have negative pressure.  Drain and waste plumbing in Thailand leaves a bunch to be desired. 

Show the plumber your pic and explain you want a one way air vent valve or cap. He should know or the plumbing supply store should know. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments.

I think thought I found one online: "Air Bleed Valve"

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/floraflex-air-bleed-valve-20-34-34-i4697151092.html

Edit: On further research it seems that valve does something different. Some more research... 

Next week I will ask the plumber. 

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

When i had the kitchen fitted in my condo (by a "professional" kitchen company) it had no S bend pipe. Just drains straight to the floor. I would have thought one was required but maybe not !!

When I look at the ceiling from my condominium, then I see the pipes from the unit above me. 

I guess they are similar on most floors.

On some of those pipes coming from above, I see P-traps under the floor = below my ceiling. But on some pipes that is not the case.

These are example of what I see. One time P-traps under the floor. In those cases, I guess a pipe in the unit above straight to the floor is fine.

But sometimes there is no P-trap below the floor. I guess there should be one above the floor.

Option 1, P-trap under the floor.

IMG_20220823_093603-Small.jpg.520a1022a8e2efee539c96989acbdd3c.jpg

Option 2, no trap under the floor. Maybe in those cases it should be above the floor.

IMG_20220529_110121-Small.jpg.53eac518f0a014a663047de490bc0d32.jpg

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Option 2, no trap under the floor. Maybe in those cases it should be above the floor.

Often floor drain would have small water trap that surrounds the drain and prevent smells coming through 

some newer solutions are silicone inserts that squeeze shut and not letting smell through without the need for water traps

spacer.png

On 9/9/2023 at 7:35 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

They also mention an "air admittance valve" in that article.

There is significant debate on the subject of those valves, it was something I read in passing a reasonable time ago so don’t recall the details or origin but one thing that rings a bell was that they are less than reliable and are reasonably often installed in the wrong location, so given that you are in a condominium you need to find a very competent plumbing engineer to advise on the suitability benefits and concerns 

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Option 1, P-trap under the floor.

IMG_20220823_093603-Small.jpg.520a1022a8e2efee539c96989acbdd3c.jpg

The pipes you are seeing in option 1 are likely to be 2" grey water drains from sinks and showers, with P-traps fitted to provide a water seal and to prevent odours.

The pipes you are seeing in option 2 are likely to be 4" black water pipes from toilets, where there is an S-bend fitted into the toilet bowl body to provide a water seal and to prevent odours.

image.png.82091907465414fffc6877a08522c515.png

44 minutes ago, Encid said:

The pipes you are seeing in option 1 are likely to be 2" grey water drains from sinks and showers, with P-traps fitted to provide a water seal and to prevent odours.

The pipes you are seeing in option 2 are likely to be 4" black water pipes from toilets, where there is an S-bend fitted into the toilet bowl body to provide a water seal and to prevent odours.

image.png.82091907465414fffc6877a08522c515.png

Thanks for your answer. I understand your explanation.

However, in my case there is just a bend like option 2 below the kitchen sink (in the apartment below my one). I know this because it is exactly the same what I see on my ceiling from the apartment above.

Here's my info from your other post, just for those looking for this type of kitchen drain. Next to impossible to find in any store so I wanted to make this available.

FYI for anyone looking for sink drain pipes that you can actually use, here's a link to Lazada. I could not find these blue PVC pipes anywhere in Chiang Mai. It's maddening! Everyone wants to sell a drain pipe "kit" that doesn't often fit the crazy plumber's drain locations where they come out of the wall. This one you can add or subtract to put it anywhere.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4308264476-s17145557009.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=745221259300812&tradeOrderLineId=745221259400812&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

image.jpeg.bbfedf083eb328d9d19cb6a4b18dc254.jpeg