Is there a legitimate way to make a meaningful amount of money online that does not involve speaking?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Do own house & car though.

Minor detail, there your  have 35000 multiplied by 2. And how many kids of school age? Oooh yes Decent health coverage for a family of 4 costs 15k to 20k a month. 10k "to play with" ? When a week in Koh Chang will cost me at least 150k.. Laughable. What's strange is that with such low levels of income, while I couldn't afford to live here, I'd have more fun living in the country side in the Pyrenees, hiking and cross country skiing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Breed Pedigree puppies, cats, rabbits,

Get the whole family involved. 

Start with one female, have her mated sell the puppies and you are on your way.

Just a thought.

All profit margins are eroded  by VET fees especially with toy breeds that have difficulties with birthing.

Unless you are heartless and operate like the Thai puppy factories in BKK and CM and just let animals die.

To be competitive with a business that is evil you have to also be evil.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to hijack the thread here but on AN we have loads of digital nomads making huge amounts of money online [aparently*] but they seem very backward about coming forward on this thread and telling us what exactly it is that they.

*the more cynical might note that the Elite Visa just never seemed to be the right solution to their long stay visa issues, also the number of discussions on living in Chieng Mai on Bt15,000/month.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

there is no capital outlay

It is a capital intensive business. If you are using high leverage you will be wiped out by normal market fluctuations. That is why they [bucket shops ] give you the leverage.

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

There's investing like you appear to have done and there's trading. The latter can be very lucrative using price action with leverage if you care to spend the time looking into and studying it - many free resources online. The benefits are that you are entirely responsible for your own risks and rewards, there is no capital outlay like when starting a business and in your own case no need to speak! Not for everyone tho.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

@acepredator

Market trading.

Can teach yourself, and mock trade till you got handle on it.   It's full time though, and depend what exchange you use, need to be active during their hours.

Been out of it for 15 year, so don't know what online brokers are available, and that was for USA anyway.

That’s my idea too.  I would take a stab at day trading—either stocks or ETFs.  If the currency drops 10-20%, a lot more of us would do this—in order to stay here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Haven't got a clue what's that's all about, and simply stated we live comfy of 35k, and I could do the same if single, even if renting.  Not near the minimal I would need, emphasis on the need, that was implied.  All depends on one's lifestyle, needs & wants.  

Wouldn't want to live on less, but could.

As someone earlier stated, you can live cheaper in Isaan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

All profit margins are eroded  by VET fees especially with toy breeds that have difficulties with birthing.

Unless you are heartless and operate like the Thai puppy factories in BKK and CM and just let animals die.

To be competitive with a business that is evil you have to also be evil.

You've tried it and gone bust?

Poor business management perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Another idea which I posted on here some months ago was to run a mail order business, without actually handling any goods yourself.

Set up a store/shop on E-Bay or Facebook or some other international platform and advertise stuff for sale.

Does not matter what kind of stuff but preferably something a little different from the usual things available.

Any orders you fill by ordering the said items from, say Lazada and having them shipped to your customers address, you don't actually handle any goods yourself. 

Obviously needs some setting up with pay accounts and things but apparently some people are making a good living from this.

image.jpeg.8a42e013f680aecf6be547469ff8ec58.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Market trading.

Can teach yourself, and mock trade till you got handle on it.   It's full time though, and depend what exchange you use, need to be active during their hours.

You forgot to mention that he would require money to do that.   He's trying to to find a way to make money, not invest what he hasn't got.

EDIT: Just read his subsequent post, it seems that he does have investment money after all!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You forgot to mention that he would require money to do that.   He's trying to to find a way to make money, not invest what he hasn't got.

He does have, as he sells as needed.  Could take 3 months, develop a trading strategy, mock trading, then if good, start playing with real money.

UK markets/time zone, gives him time during normal hours to do something else while learning, if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

Mention was made of online teaching, which is what I do for my income (I will start to draw my $1,000 UK state pension in about 22 months from now).  I'm not a doctor, so have no idea if you could get your GERD under control so that you could teach online.  I teach in 30-minute segments and typically earn about $2k - $2.5k a month.  (I teach science subjects, so my rate of pay is higher than teaching English ESL).  I live a modest but enjoyable life on less than $1,000 a month (I save the rest).  I no longer live in Thailand but reside in Laos.

Thanks for the information, but, again, I'm quit sure that schools just wouldn't be interested in hiring a 66 year old, especially one who hasn't taught in 13 years. Several years ago I tried applying for some online jobs and got absolutely zero interest. Most of the schools I applied to didn't even bother to reply. I've met many young people, in their 20s, who are teaching online. They can easily get jobs; I can't. 

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, why does it have to be an online job ? Why not just buy/setup a bisiness, plenty of guys own laundries, small restaurant, coffee shop, rent scooters etc. You dont need to work in the bisiness, and it provides an income.

Thanks for the advice, but small businesses are just too risky. My companion had a small massage shop, strictly legitimate, that didn't make enough money to cover the rent each month, never mind make a profit. Later, she had a small coffee shop with the same result. I've seen scores of small businesses close here in Chiang Mai, even before COVID-19 struck. I don't have the energy or enthusiasm needed to try to make a small business turn a profit. In addition, I have a heart condition called atrial fibrillation, which is an irregular heartbeat. The stress generated by seeing my small business ultimately fail could trigger a fatal stroke or heart attack, so no thank you. Sitting at my computer typing or reading is stress free, so I'll focus on that instead.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

Youtube ASMR videos? Lots of beautiful places in Thailand.

Thanks for the information, but these days, due to health concerns, I don't travel anymore unless absolutely necessary. That's why I'd like something that I could do sitting at my computer. Besides, I'm sure there are many videos of beautiful Thailand already posted to YouTube. I'm sure I couldn't add anything to those already there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, acepredator said:

I'm not poor now by any means. I didn't say that I was poor. It's just that my expenses have continued to increase while I have been retired so that I'm not bringing in any money other than what I make on the stock market, and it has been stagnant for a few years now. I'm only preparing for a future that will be more expensive than today.

The stock market has been anything but stagnant for a few years now. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, I meant stock market, or others of same; commodities, futures, currencies.  You're already in, so that's good.

Don't know who told you we lose money, as I retired early because of trading, and most made in pennies.

Then you must have the magic touch when it comes to buying penny stocks because every one of them I've ever bought has ultimately completely collapsed in value, costing me tens of thousands of dollars. The only way I've made money is by buying mutual funds from Franklin Templeton and annuities with Pacific Life Insurance Company and Lincoln Financial Group, all reputable and established companies and all investments based on the advice of my professional investment advisor. I'll never gamble and lose my money again by buying stocks that eventually inevitably become totally worthless.