Thai chicken vendors winging it to rip off South Korean YouTubers

snoop1130

Even the ‘corrected’ price of 380 seems a bit much. 
My local chicken shop( ไก่ทอดแหลก ) your charges around 30 baht for a chicken leg(drumstick + thigh). 15 to 20 baht for individual drumsticks/thighs/wings etc

I don’t know how much a ‘box of rice’ costs, but let’s say 40 baht. That leaves six pieces of chicken at 50 baht apiece. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, NextG said:

I don’t know how much a ‘box of rice’ costs,

It's not plain rice, they serve the chicken on a biriyani style rice. The food's very good, which is why people a willing to queue for an hour or more.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

It's not plain rice, they serve the chicken on a biriyani style rice. The food's very good, which is why people a willing to queue for an hour or more.

I could see that it wasn’t plain rice, but how much is the rice? I estimated 40 baht. How much do you think it should be? Up here I’ll get chicken with ‘yellow rice’ for 50 baht. But it’s just the rice on this occasion. So how much? 50 baht? I’m just trying to make sense of the pricing. My estimate seems a likely breakdown of the prices. 
There are also queues at my local. It’s very popular and also good value. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 2

From the restaurants response to the YouTubers they should have been charged Bht380 as follows 3 large thigh pieces @ Bht80 = Bht240, 3 drumsticks @ Bht35 = Bht100, 2 boxes of rice @ Bht 20 per box = Bht40 - total Bht380. But they charged for 6 large thigh pieces Bht480 plus Bht40 for the rice.

AA1gxof9.jpg.d2a9984f933e7fdb78008b06d20a1d5f.jpg

https://www.msn.com/th-th/news/other/แพงไปมั้ย-ยูทูบเบอร์ดัง-ซื้อไก่ทอด-6-ชิ้น-520-บาท/ar-AA1gx7Lq

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

From the restaurants response to the YouTubers they should have been charged Bht380 as follows 3 large thigh pieces @ Bht80 = Bht240, 3 drumsticks @ Bht35 = Bht100, 2 boxes of rice @ Bht 20 per box = Bht40 - total Bht380. But they charged for 6 large thigh pieces Bht480 plus Bht40 for the rice.

AA1gxof9.jpg.d2a9984f933e7fdb78008b06d20a1d5f.jpg

https://www.msn.com/th-th/news/other/แพงไปมั้ย-ยูทูบเบอร์ดัง-ซื้อไก่ทอด-6-ชิ้น-520-บาท/ar-AA1gx7Lq

A ripoff then. 80 baht for a not particularly large chicken leg(drumstick + thigh). That’s at least double the price of my local. Are they frying in olive oil?

My local place:

0852B1E4-993A-4F5B-AC98-E2EFFB043466.thumb.jpeg.3a96dfcbacac360d410b6dc399bd787b.jpeg

72D91511-0C98-4260-8D3B-61CA9B747029.thumb.jpeg.33bc1c1e27aa694a583fcbd0fa34ebcf.jpeg4BF12695-28B3-45DB-A6DD-0F3C8D5CD795.thumb.jpeg.cd99d6819724952da696a34e6c3987d3.jpeg

So those four pieces together with the sticky rice would be a maximum of 90 baht. 

Edited by NextG
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

A ripoff then. 80 baht for a not particularly large chicken leg(drumstick + thigh). That’s at least double the price of my local. Are they frying in olive oil?

But it's a food stall in Kimyong market that draws a lot of Malaysian, Singapore & Indonesian tourists (and the occasional South Korean) who seem happy enough to pay the inflated prices. There are plenty of other places that sell excellent Hat Yai fried chicken.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

But it's a food stall in Kimyong market that draws a lot of Malaysian, Singapore & Indonesian tourists (and the occasional South Korean) who seem happy enough to pay the inflated prices. There are plenty of other places that sell excellent Hat Yai fried chicken.

So a tourist trap. Understood. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

So a tourist trap. Understood. 

Much of the central area of Hat Yai, from Kimyong Market south to Lee Garden Plaza and on to BP Grand is a tourist trap. If you really want overpriced food then check out the evening food stalls around Lee Garden Plaza, prices are laughable, but Malaysians flock there.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Much of the central area of Hat Yai, from Kimyong Market south to Lee Garden Plaza and on to BP Grand is a tourist trap. If you really want overpriced food then check out the evening food stalls around Lee Garden Plaza, prices are laughable, but Malaysians flock there.

Haven’t been there in quite a while. Not since I lived on Samui and was heading somewhere on a visa run. Decided to take 1000 baht and nothing else. No cards, nothing. Found a hotel there, went to pay for it but couldn’t find my money ????????‍♂️
Had to contact girlfriend in U.K to send some money via Western Union. Went back to the hotel and the receptionist told me they found my 1000 baht on the floor. Thumbs up for the hotel worker. 
Previous time I was in the Lee Gardens area, I saw a westerner busking…

• Confused 2