When you're old & lonely

georgegeorgia

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Even more weird, I've been to those Thai BBQs several times, wouldn't dream of taking my own food, next time you go ask them if they think it's weird you take your own food

That’s because you lack imagination. Baaaaaaa ???? 

I don’t need to ask them, I’ve already told you how they treat me. 
I don’t need to delve into the minds of every individual. That would be weird. 
I have a great time, eating a variety of foods, enjoying conversation with friends, eating quality meats with hand made marinades, alongside the items provided by the restaurant. 
Not only that, but the staff are there when needed and actually clean up my mess.

Like a garden party with staff but all for a very reasonable price. 
In fact some staff members actually prepare food for me to ensure an authentic taste. 
So for this experience, it’s natural to tip generously. I don’t think of it as just paying for the food. I have an enjoyable time there and want to share my good feeling and am happy when I see a staff member jump for joy or express the gratitude profusely. 
Spreading the love. The fact that I take my own quality products does not impact on the restaurant in any negative way. In fact the only effect is positive for everyone concerned. 
So who cares what a sheeple thinks? I am happy, they are happy. But scuba thinks it’s weird ???? Hey ho…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

That’s not the full story with ‘pets’. Animals can love you if you are kind to them, even without feeding them. 
This isn’t just a theory. I’ve experienced this over many years. Even the animals I do feed are usually more interested in wallowing in the attention. Food is secondary, believe it or not. 

"my pet is different " 555   

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Just tell them you only eat Halal.

???? ???? 

Though it’s really not an issue. It’s a win:win for everyone; my party, the restaurant owner and the staff. 
It just blew scuba’s mind. Let’s hope he makes a full recovery. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Is there such word as misanthropist? ????

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

mis·an·thrope
/ˈmis(ə)nˌTHrōp/
noun
noun: misanthropist
  1. a person who dislikes humankind and avoids human society.
    "Scrooge wasn't the mean-spirited misanthrope most of us believe him to be"

Misanthrope is more commonly used, although I have never heard of a philanthrope. One of the quirks of English.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

mis·an·thrope
/ˈmis(ə)nˌTHrōp/

noun
noun: misanthropist
  1. a person who dislikes humankind and avoids human society.
    "Scrooge wasn't the mean-spirited misanthrope most of us believe him to be"

Misanthrope is more commonly used, although I have never heard of a philanthrope. One of the quirks of English.

I still am not convinced. 

• Confused 1

Guys who “utilize the services of prostitutes” are the loneliest guys around. It can be worse then just doing life solo.

Same for the prostitute.

Both are trying to provide something that’s not really there. It’s just an act.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NextG said:

So for this experience, it’s natural to tip generously

That settles it.

I wouldn't do it, but I occasionally pop into a tin shack place and I see it being done a bit. No one seems to care. I saw this happen at a Shan noodle dive too.

Tip them like it's a corkage fee. I'd toss them a hundred, what to you throw them?

Edited by LaosLover

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

That settles it.

I wouldn't do it, but I occasionally pop into a tin shack place and I see it being done a bit. No one seems to care. I saw this happen at a Shan noodle dive too.

Tip them like it's a corkage fee. I'd toss them a hundred, what to you throw them?

????????‍♂️ It’s nothing like a corkage fee ???? That is ridiculous. What don’t you understand about a single all in price? In other words, I could sit and eat their food all day. But in this case I am eating much less of their food, so it costs them less to have me as a customer. Win for the owner. Win for me because I get better food and a Win for the staff because I show my appreciation. 

A corkage fee covers you not buying alcoholic drinks at marked up prices(usually 300%) and using their glasses and their staff to open your bottle and to serve you. Extra costs for them that need to be compensated. 
There is no extra usage, no extra service, no loss, no negative outcome on either side. 
So there is absolutely no need for any kind of fee and therefore it’s not an issue. 

But my tips can be more generous than you suggest. Staff will even come out to thank me afterwards. They work hard and they appreciate that someone notices. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Guys who “utilize the services of prostitutes” are the loneliest guys around. It can be worse then just doing life solo.

Same for the prostitute.

What about guys who date ladyboys?

26 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

That settles it.

I tip drivers 3 to 7 baht

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Same for the prostitute.

I don’t altogether agree. It’s not as clear cut as you might imagine. 
I have met, in the past, girls coming down from Bangkok just to have sex. So they would wait for someone they actually liked. Yes, they told me so. I would walk past them every day with my shopping, so they didn’t see me as a sex tourist. I would hear things that the normal tourist/expat would not. 
Not just Asian girls, but one Caucasian told me similarly, that she gets her ‘love’ from her customers. 
So in some cases, it’s not just an act. 
They are still people. But of course they’ll also have customers that just want to use them and don’t care how they feel. 
You’d be surprised at how these girls can fall head over heels for the ‘right’ person. 
I was a particular target because they would see me every single day carrying my shopping and ignoring them. So after a while they really wanted to get to know me. I got to hear a lot that the average Joe would not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

What about guys who date ladyboys?

Makes no difference who it is. Dating is one thing, "utilizing the services of prostitutes" is another. There's no grey area like guys like to believe. Someone is either there for the money, or not. It's not good or bad, just reality. Take money out of the relationship and you have your answer.

Maybe this guy ran out of money and discovered that he was lonely all along?

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Lost me there.......

...but that is not something new.

Diet- body food

Thoughts and feelings - mind food

You should never let others control your thoughts and feelings. If they want to be bad so be it. You control your feelings not them.

If others can easily make you sad then they are masters and you a slave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Diet- body food

Thoughts and feelings - mind food

You should never let others control your thoughts and feelings. If they want to be bad so be it. You control your feelings not them.

If others can easily make you sad then they are masters and you a slave

I think that you think too much 

Fact - others (without having any control over you) can impact your mood; positively or negatively.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I think that you think too much 

Fact - others (without having any control over you) can impact your mood; positively or negatively.

Only if you let them. With training you can learn to ignore others. Your subconcious mind controls your mind. If you believe others can make you sad then so it is. Roger Bannister broke the 4 min mile. Nobody thought it could be done. Within 18 months lots of people did it. You are sad or happy because you programmed your thoughts a certain way.

6 hours ago, bignok said:

Only if you let them. With training you can learn to ignore others. Your subconcious mind controls your mind. If you believe others can make you sad then so it is. Roger Bannister broke the 4 min mile. Nobody thought it could be done. Within 18 months lots of people did it. You are sad or happy because you programmed your thoughts a certain way.

Reading too many self help books isn't good for you

• Like 1