Cambodia/Laos - What's it like?

Jenkins9039

Coming up to redemption of some investments in 24 onwards which means need to factor in a tax domicile.

Usually would reside in Dubai/Carib but with kids not ideal.

Looking at the tax side Cambodia/Laos would be ideal (or Singapore/Malaysia) however not ideal with the free-flowing borders (entire household - nannies, teachers etc) for babies/kids 

Thought about Cambodia/Laos, but never been (i am the sort to just do).

Whats it like? Property Real Estate prices (locations also) ? (4-6 bedroom pool style villa land) ownership structure? Lifestyle? etc

Idea from my front is 5 mons there, 5 months Thai, 2 months holidays, easy enough to travel with the kids etc.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

4-6 bedroom pool style villa land

????????????????????????????????????

Seriously aside from your seriously stupid dream, I ate breakfast in Siem Reap everyday at a different restaurant.  Which were all dedicated to bringing their employees up out of poverty, support schools,etc.

One of these restaurants had a little factoid on the wall that only 3% of Cambodian kids achieve a minimum education standard.

How high are the walls on your pool villa going to be? ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

????????????????????????????????????

Seriously aside from your seriously stupid dream, I ate breakfast in Siem Reap everyday at a different restaurant.  Which were all dedicated to bringing their employees up out of poverty, support schools,etc.

One of these restaurants had a little factoid on the wall that only 3% of Cambodian kids achieve a minimum education standard.

How high are the walls on your pool villa going to be? ????

Unsure where it is a stupid dream.

https://www.realestate.com.kh/buy/andoung-khmer/4-bed-4-bath-villa-234046/

500k for such 

35 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? Laos or Cambodia would not give your kids the education they'd receive in Dubai/Carib? Or any number of other tax-free locations. If you have money, why would you be looking at bottom of the barrel Third World countries? I don't get it.

Kids <1 yr old, don't enter proper education for a few years.

Kids will go private boarding at appropriate age..

Currently they have private, private teachers (for babies) alongside various external teaching (pool, learning school etc)

Cambodia/Laos because of tax, proximity, and free-flowing immigration (staff - household can move back and forth with ease and WP's not a problem like Malaysia/Singapore, or the requirement to hire locals).

Why Cambodia/Laos, tax, <500k$ in property is a drop in the ocean for the savings.

It's 5.5 months in a year, 5.5 months Thailand, 2 months travelling.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JCauto said:

There was another thread about just this topic the other day.

Cambodia, follows 183 day tax rule, thailand follows territorial tax rule.

It's a tax play, i take Div every 5 yrs or so, the sum is rather large, and I usually reside in Dubai/Caribbean, with babies thats not practical aside from the travelling and moving a entire household, theres the nannies (4) and teachers (2).

Malaysia would / Singapore would be ideal but you then hit the issue of the nannies/teachers etc and would have to lay off and replace for when in those countries, Cambodia, Laos would factor them in as part of the family unit and they would continue to be paid in Thailand whilst in Cambodia/Laos and have ease of moving back and forth and access to funds.

Nannies have 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

Flying them back and forth from Dubai/Carib is not practical.

Babies (2) also like familiarity. 

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Kids <1 yr old, don't enter proper education for a few years.

Kids will go private boarding at appropriate age..

Currently they have private, private teachers (for babies) alongside various external teaching (pool, learning school etc)

Cambodia/Laos because of tax, proximity, and free-flowing immigration (staff - household can move back and forth with ease and WP's not a problem like Malaysia/Singapore, or the requirement to hire locals).

Why Cambodia/Laos, tax, <500k$ in property is a drop in the ocean for the savings.

It's 5.5 months in a year, 5.5 months Thailand, 2 months travelling.

Thanks. If you're looking for financial benefit over lifestyle, then go Third World. If lifestyle and eventual education benefits are more important, then look elsewhere. Many with money head to Dubai for a reason, rather than Laos. I can't comment on the Caribbean as I have no experience of that region. 

• Like 1

Just back from Vientiane, a total ghost town. The part of Vt that you might enjoy is about 6 short streets. If you're at the tax shelter level, you will find the amenities lacking.

Med-wise, Bangkok Hospital has opened a branch there. Because of Chinese interest, rents are similar to Chiang Mai for a lot less quality.

Residency means a business visa. You'll def be paying some key money for your visa. Nannies? No prob. Teachers? Plenty of qualified old whities to do the job.

These poorer countries have really cut back on mosquito abatement due to less tourists. My wife caught dengue fever in Luang Prubang.

As per my name, I'm in love with the culture of the place. But you're not, and should give it a wide miss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSaiyan said:

No.

A) Thaland as a resident doesn't charge tax based on income overseas and not remitted to the following tax year.

B) When residing overseas as a non resident, and non citizen outside of the 183 days and only residing inside thailand for less than 183 days and remitting the following tax year, there is no tax.

So Yes.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Why do you not want to live in Thailand? 

I don't want to pay the tax from the dividence, i am not thai, my own country doesn't tax unless resident, meaning i decide based on my residence decisions on whether to pay tax when i draw down a investment.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks. If you're looking for financial benefit over lifestyle, then go Third World. If lifestyle and eventual education benefits are more important, then look elsewhere. Many with money head to Dubai for a reason, rather than Laos. I can't comment on the Caribbean as I have no experience of that region. 

I lived in Dubai, it's not ideal for the kids with their nannies, the nannies need to be able to go back and forth without having too many issues...

that means neighbouring states for the year .

Singapore and Malaysia are ruled out due to the strict enforcement, Cambodia and Laos came up from some of my financial connections due to a number of reasons.

Then it comes to practicability. 

We shop, we eat, eating could just bring in a chef, shopping can dart back and forth or send for, lifestyle is mainly food.