2 visa exempts. Now need visa Cambodia ok?.

Hey everybody! 
I’ve gone from Thailand to Vientiane, Laos 2 times and entered 2 times by land on visa exempt status, with extensions through immigration both times. I still have stuff I need to take care of here, but my current stamp expires this month on the 18th, in a few days. This time I’m near the Poipet border of Cambodia. I need to get a tourist visa. Can anybody give me advice on what to do to ensure I can get back in on a tourist visa? This will be my first actual visa, considering I have come in only visa exempt the other times, so I shouldn’t have any trouble right? I am so near Poipet and have a friend there who agreed to host me, so I can save money just taking a bus over there real quick instead of flying somewhere and getting a hotel. But, I don’t know what to do from there. Actually, I’m not sure if Cambodia is the right choice. And I don’t know if I’ll be able to come back over by land there, or if I should fly back in to make it more legitimate for this time around. I’ve also been told to just go back to Laos, but that would be 3 times at that border, albeit, hopefully I’ll have a legit visa this time.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, my girlfriend is freaking out, thinking that I won’t be able to get back in anytime soon, but, somebody told me that it’s doable. Please help. What’s my best course of action? Can I get back in? 

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, Dorian999 said:

I’ve gone from Thailand to Vientiane, Laos 2 times and entered 2 times by land on visa exempt status, with extensions through immigration both times

So you have 2 visa exempt entries via land both then extended.

Presumably prior to this you entered Thailand visa exempt via air.

So when did you enter Thailand and how many days out of Thailand? 

PP would not be good option for tourist visa 

Edited by DrJack54

First of all, the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing is the absolute worst choice for trying to enter Thailand when spending significant time here in Thailand.

Having entered Cambodia, to attempt to get a tourist visa, you would need to go to Phnom Penh. There are buses from Poipet to Phnom Penh. The visa application takes several days. If you have no previous Thai tourist visas in your current passport, your chances of being given the visa are reasonably good though, as you have been over 90 days in Thailand recently, you might be denied.

If successful in getting the visa, do not try to re-enter at Poipet.

This would not be my starting point. If able to get an appointment in Vientiane, that would be your safe option. However, you have left it too late unless willing to wait around for a while in Laos.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dorian999 said:

I still have stuff I need to take care of here, but my current stamp expires this month on the 18th, in a few days

So based on your thread July 18  at that time you had been in Thailand for 4 months then did a border run with visa exempt entry plus 30 day extension.

(6 months so far) 

Now plan on obtaining tourist visa.

Good luck. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So you have 2 visa exempt entries via land both then extended.

Presumably prior to this you entered Thailand visa exempt via air.

So when did you enter Thailand and how many days out of Thailand? 

PP would not be good option for tourist visa 

You are correct about the first entry. Many people are telling me to go to Laos instead. I thought going to Laos again would look suspicious. So I made some arrangements with someone in PP. is the best option really to go to Laos again and enter by land again, this time with an actual visa? 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

First of all, the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing is the absolute worst choice for trying to enter Thailand when spending significant time here in Thailand.

Having entered Cambodia, to attempt to get a tourist visa, you would need to go to Phnom Penh. There are buses from Poipet to Phnom Penh. The visa application takes several days. If you have no previous Thai tourist visas in your current passport, your chances of being given the visa are reasonably good though, as you have been over 90 days in Thailand recently, you might be denied.

If successful in getting the visa, do not try to re-enter at Poipet.

This would not be my starting point. If able to get an appointment in Vientiane, that would be your safe option. However, you have left it too late unless willing to wait around for a while in Laos.

What if I went to Laos from Cambodia. Can I enter by land a 3rd time, this time with a visa? And would adding Cambodia in between my stops give me a better chance of getting back in through Laos? Or does it not matter? 

3 hours ago, Dorian999 said:

I am so near Poipet and have a friend there who agreed to host me, so I can save money just taking a bus over there real quick instead of flying somewhere and getting a hotel.

Just my 2 cents but if you are so close to Cambodia border why not try it (what have you got to lose). If they don't issue TV then travel to Laos from there to try again?

Or if they do issue TV but don't let you cross at Poipet use the TV at different crosing?

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, Dorian999 said:

....is the best option really to go to Laos again and enter by land again, this time with an actual visa? 

Think you have left it too late for Vientiane as that requires appointment and booked out in advance.

There was recent report of guy with similar history to yourself being refused TV at Savannakhet.

Strangely then obtained a TV at Vientiane. 

Edited by DrJack54

53 minutes ago, Dorian999 said:

What if I went to Laos from Cambodia. Can I enter by land a 3rd time, this time with a visa? And would adding Cambodia in between my stops give me a better chance of getting back in through Laos? Or does it not matter? 

If you have a visa, there is no limit to the number of times you can enter by land. You could enter via a border crossing from Cambodia, but do not use Poipet/Aranyaprathet. If you want to visit a friend in Poipet, getting to other border crossings is a hassle, but doable.

Consider leaving Thailand to Poipet (Thai immigration can annoy you, but nothing very bad can happen), then going on from there to Vientiane, getting your visa and returning via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. This plan allows you to wait with your friend until a day or two before your appointment at the Vientiane embassy, and travel overland to Laos for your visa application (a tough journey, but doable).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There was recent report of guy with similar history to yourself being refused TV at Savannakhet.

Strangely then obtained a TV at Vientiane. 

The decision to be tough on tourist visa applications in Savannakhet was forced on them by the hordes of visa run groups descending on them. Those had to be deterred. For a short while, before the introduction of the appointment system, Vientiane was strict for similar reasons. In general, both the embassy in Vientiane and the consulate in Savannakhet want to be friendly, but they cannot work miracles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

".....Consider leaving Thailand to Poipet (Thai immigration can annoy you, but nothing very bad can happen), then going on from there to Vientiane, getting your visa and returning via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. "
HUH:
leave thailand via poi pet and go  to Vientiane?   
why not just head north and cross overland into Laos and visit Vientiane>
doesn't make any sense
visa in PP, Thai visa takes 3-4 business days, need show $1,000 in a bank
$40 or use an agent cost ya $50

Cambodia to Laos is via 4,000 islands and a long bus ride up north and than cross at Savanakhet ( where you can also apply for a Thai visa)

Poi pet is an easy exit point to Cambodia just a hassle ( sometime ) to return via

If u are in poi pet head to battambang than Pailin an cross there to Thailand

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you have a visa, there is no limit to the number of times you can enter by land. You could enter via a border crossing from Cambodia, but do not use Poipet/Aranyaprathet. If you want to visit a friend in Poipet, getting to other border crossings is a hassle, but doable.

Consider leaving Thailand to Poipet (Thai immigration can annoy you, but nothing very bad can happen), then going on from there to Vientiane, getting your visa and returning via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. This plan allows you to wait with your friend until a day or two before your appointment at the Vientiane embassy, and travel overland to Laos for your visa application (a tough journey, but doable).

I could fly from Cambodia to Laos to go to my appointment, right? 

5 minutes ago, Dorian999 said:

I could fly from Cambodia to Laos to go to my appointment, right? 

Siem Reap airport is easily reached from Poipet, but there are no direct flights from there to Vientiane. Connecting flights are often via Bangkok with a change of airport (and potential trouble at Thai immigration). Vietnam Airways does (expensive) direct flights to Vientiane from Phnom Penh. However, Phnom Penh airport is a long way from Poipet.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:31 PM, BritTim said:

Siem Reap airport is easily reached from Poipet, but there are no direct flights from there to Vientiane. Connecting flights are often via Bangkok with a change of airport (and potential trouble at Thai immigration). Vietnam Airways does (expensive) direct flights to Vientiane from Phnom Penh. However, Phnom Penh airport is a long way from Poipet.

After listening to everybody, I have decided to go straight to Laos. I just don’t have a good feeling about Poipet. And my good friend said I could get a visa in Vientiane. Do you have any advice on going about this? Do I need to stay in Laos for a specific It minimum amount of time, considering my last 2 entry stamps were from the exact same border? 
He said if I get the visa, I’ll be able to come back across the same bridge to nong khai, as well. 

10 minutes ago, Dorian999 said:

After listening to everybody, I have decided to go straight to Laos. I just don’t have a good feeling about Poipet. And my good friend said I could get a visa in Vientiane. Do you have any advice on going about this? Do I need to stay in Laos for a specific It minimum amount of time, considering my last 2 entry stamps were from the exact same border? 
He said if I get the visa, I’ll be able to come back across the same bridge to nong khai, as well. 

You will need to be in Vientiane for at least two nights to get the visa. Also, if you must leave Thailand by September 18, you are going to be longer in Laos because you need an appointment that is not available at short notice. There is no requirement by border immigration to be out of Thailand for any specific length of time.

Make sure you meet all of their documented requirements, and you should be fine applying for a tourist visa in Vientiane.

The use of tourist visas for long term stay in Thailand is not really feasible any more, but Vientiane and the Friendship Bridge allow a longer stay than other options.

Do not be tempted to apply in Savannakhet instead. They have been forced by weight of numbers to become strict in issuing tourist visas.

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will need to be in Vientiane for at least two nights to get the visa. Also, if you must leave Thailand by September 18, you are going to be longer in Laos because you need an appointment that is not available at short notice

Vientiane used to be about 7-10 days prior to make an appointment but I just checked now and appointments are available in 3 days, Tuesday 19th September (so passport pick-up Thursday)

OP below is appointment link if you don't already have it

https://thaivisavientiane.com/

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Vientiane used to be about 7-10 days prior to make an appointment but I just checked now and appointments are available in 3 days, Tuesday 19th September (so passport pick-up Thursday)

OP below is appointment link if you don't already have it

https://thaivisavientiane.com/

Thank you. I got my appointment booked for Tuesday 

• Like 1