Is it better to educate a half thai half farang in Thailand or in the west?

Goat

On 9/14/2023 at 2:28 PM, Goat said:

A lot of us farangs breed with the locals. 

And it seems to be the general consesus is that the schools are not good here in The Land of Smiles (despite choosing to breed and falling in love with women who were actually educated in these schools} and that these offspring would be better off studying in the west and learning "western ways".

I think i might have to disagree.

The Thais might not learn much about things of which are little use in real life. Like geography and world history. Useless subjects really.

But they do seem to learn very good manners which includes not making someone lose face which seems to grind at many westerners and most importantly 'greng jai' which many westerners dont seem to understand at all.

And they seem more at peace with themselves and each other.

The video below faetures a half Thai half British young women who was educated in England.

Whadaya reckon? Is she a better person for it?

When you attend Army, the first things you drill is to make your bed, cleaning, and dress yourself in time! 

What a waste? Or? History meaningless? Every subject have its role in forming our brain to connect new neurons and how we progress in life to be well educated individuals. No doubt our education system is better than Thailands. 

I would moved straight back to homeland. Not a chance in hell my kid(s) would grow up in Thailand. I'm normally positive and pretty laid back, but,,,,, I rest my case.

Edited by Hummin

The hardest part in Thailand, is to reasoning logical issues be it with officials or individuals. You can teach them practical logical solutions how to perform a task, but at once you leave them, they are back to their own way of doing it no matter they spending more time and resources doing it. 

It is this lack of logic that turns me off to make any business with local partners. I rather make an expensive hobby I can afford to make a decent interesting life instead of investing money to make profit. I know I could specialize on surten segments, and make a profit, but thats not why I semi retired to Thailand.

Anyway, for our farm, we are not to bad off comparing to our living costs is around 30k a year for the whole family included pay for the parents, food, electricity and so on, and what we make on our little farm is roughly 150k after expenses. 

That is not included our holidays, bigger repairs, maintenence on farm,  insurance on wericles and service. 

Well back to the topic, as said before, how to give them a logical sense in a enviroment in Thailand? Where grand parents give them their feed of culture and life as good examples and so the media and tv as well caotic social media that influences kids world wide and very hard to protect them from, I feel it would be to much for me as a parent to handle. Especially dealing with language issues and two different cultures for them to absorb. 

Take them back to Norway, teach them skiing, outdoor life, fishing, climbing, sports they are interesting in which I find hard to see they can do here in Thailand combined with school,  growing seasonaly vegetables and fruits, teach to how to make money working from early age, teach them good values I think would be easier in Norway for some reason, and easier to give them the ability to be creative and allow them to think for themselves and also consequenses for what they do, and not do. Sound to good, I know, but for me thats ideal 

As with many situations, a lot depends on the parents, are they involved in the child's education? How smart are the parents and their education level? Giving them good advice? Take an interest in who they hang around with? Or do they let the kid play on the phone all evening? Don't know or care who the friends are? Are the Parents a combo ex-bargirl and the father some low level job profession that hangs out in the bars?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:10 PM, transam said:

Aaaah, now we are getting down to YOUR nitty gritty............????

Yet another wind-up thread, with your infatuation with Great Britain..........

Never read anything from you on your Australia, I wonder why...............:whistling:

Not sure what you are on about.

Sorry about the slow reply, i have had other things on.

I see you replied at 8pm on a Friday night, when most people are out socializing with mates, out to dinner with women or on there way for a weekend trip.

But you prefer to sit alone on a computer bangin away to people you have never met on the internet?

Takes all types i suppose. 

Hava good weekend mate.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Goat said:

I see you replied at 8pm on a Friday night, when most people are out socializing with mates, out to dinner with women or on there way for a weekend trip.

But you prefer to sit alone on a computer bangin away to people you have never met on the internet?

Hava good weekend mate.

That's a bit harsh, chap lives in rural Issan, 8pm is bedtime out there.

Nowhere to go, nothing to do, and nobody in 100Km that speaks English.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Hava good weekend mate.

I am so pleased to read you are thinking about me, who da guessed.................????

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's a bit harsh, chap lives in rural Issan, 8pm is bedtime out there.

Nowhere to go, nothing to do, and nobody in 100Km that speaks English.

Oh, I am disappointed in you jumping on the Goaty bandwagon, but not really surprised.................????

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 2:00 PM, BTB1977 said:

Unless you send them to the number one private schools in Thailand.  A western education is the only answer 

It upsets people who’ve made difference choices based on financial constraints - however, the above is the brutal reality.  

It’s either a good int’l school here, or a school in our (Western) home nation. 

& to add to the Ops point - not everyone married an uneducated farm girl & there are plenty of Thai females educated overseas or at top Thai schools that Westerners date & marry. 
The Op has based his opening comments on his own limited experience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Our son was born in Singapore and was educated i Singapore up to middle school, and I have nothing but admiration for Singaporean education.

His transition to the Thai educational system, not so stellar.

We got him in to what was billed as the best International school in Khon Kaen.

Absolute nightmare.

His English classes were almost to the point of hilarious.

Obviously as a child born of an American Dad, and a Mom raised and educated in the US, and born in Singapore his English was perfect.

I'd read the 'corrections' to his homework and it was ridiculous.

Math and Sciences were no better, so me and his Mom ended up basically being the Math and Science teachers..

He ended up going to his Mom's alma mater college in Chicago, where my my eldest daughter was living at the time, and she helped fill in the gaps for him.

Ended up graduating and is now a successful guy in Hi tech

So for us, I would never wish the Thai educational system on anyone, save for the children of my worst enemies

Our kid goes to a decent EP school in Thailand. Have money for top Thai university and perhaps 2 yrs college in US. I feel life in Thailand for a well educated kid is more relaxed.              If life is so much better in the west, then why didn't you all stay there.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 4:00 PM, transam said:

Oh, I am disappointed in you jumping on the Goaty bandwagon, but not really surprised.................????

Harden up. 

It will help you get over all your dissapointment????

• Sad 1

I've hired a lot of Thai's into international environment over the years.

Two areas stood out.

Those with a western parent spending time with them as they were growing up tended to be better equipped for humor, discussion, banter, negotiation and critical thinking - that is of course a bias interpretation as I'm western but definitely noticeable.

The second group that really stood out were those Thai's who had studied abroad for a couple of years, the thinking and understanding was very different and very useful in a business and international world.

That's likely the balance I'd aim for, spend time with them when they are younger could be much more valuable than sending them away but when they get to 18 to 20 a year or two abroad could also do wonders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangel72 said:

I've hired a lot of Thai's into international environment over the years.

Two areas stood out.

Those with a western parent spending time with them as they were growing up tended to be better equipped for humor, discussion, banter, negotiation and critical thinking - that is of course a bias interpretation as I'm western but definitely noticeable.

The second group that really stood out were those Thai's who had studied abroad for a couple of years, the thinking and understanding was very different and very useful in a business and international world.

That's likely the balance I'd aim for, spend time with them when they are younger could be much more valuable than sending them away but when they get to 18 to 20 a year or two abroad could also do wonders.

This is one of those dilemma's

When we realized that our son's Thai HS educational was not as we had hoped, we toyed with the idea of maybe sending him to live with his half sister in Chicago, but Momma Bear just couldn't do that.

I think we did a decent job between us making up for some of the glaring gaps, and it positioned him well for college life in Chicago.

In hindsight I wish we could have stayed in Singapore longer to at least have gotten him through HS, that would have been ideal.

But even though it was a rocky few years in Thailand, it all worked out in the end, and now he's a fully intelligent self thinking young man with a successful career in the US.

On on the language thing. He speaks 4 languages.

For all parents do this. As a baby, I only spoke English and Mandarin, Mom Thai and Lao. It's the tried and trusted method for all multilingual families. My parents did it with me in Spanish and English and it works, you can end up with polyglot kids

• Thumbs Up 2

Another language thing.

Me and my daughters can swap effortlessly between English and Spanish, and we all 'think' in both, so in our heads thoughts swirl around in both languages.

Now my learned languages that's not the case. I translate in my head, but I never ever think in them.

My son learned Mandarin from me, which I learned, but for him it's a native language, so again he can think in mandarin.

Languages are a gift which you can, and should give to your children.

My son is mad that I didn't give him Spanish, but I just couldn't keep three languages straight in my head when he was little

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, FruitPudding said:

Depends on the school.

My kid is definitely at a better school here in Thailand than any in the UK.

Must be an international school then?

I worked as a teacher here for 25 years and the schools in the West are better.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, richard_smith237 said:

& to add to the Ops point - not everyone married an uneducated farm girl & there are plenty of Thai females educated overseas or at top Thai schools that Westerners date & marry. 

Indeed, two of my female friends married foreigners. Both of them were educated in England. 

One speaks better English than me, despite me going to the same school as Lord Byron. Mind you, not the norm here, HM the King was at her wedding to an American guy. 

On 9/25/2023 at 5:57 PM, GinBoy2 said:

For all parents do this. As a baby, I only spoke English and Mandarin, Mom Thai and Lao. It's the tried and trusted method for all multilingual families. My parents did it with me in Spanish and English and it works, you can end up with polyglot kids

Confirmed, not to mention they can now talk and snigger about me in three languages.

It's funny when it's accidentally done in English.  (I heard that! Remember I'm the one that speaks English dumb dumb!  - laughter from other room.)

• Like 1

Schooling is definitely better in the US than here, and children here are promoted many times even if they are failing, something which doesn't happen back home. I plan to take my daughter back home as soon as I can get situated back there, but there are other reasons more than schooling. This is from the local news..............More than 31,000 girls and women were raped in Thailand last year and about 60% of them were university students and school pupils, ...

About 87 rapes occur daily – one every 15 minutes – according to activist Supensri Puengkhokesoon a forum on sexual violence yesterday.

There didn’t seem to be data pertaining to how many rapes were initiated by peers, family members and close friends, but Supensri said most victims “were exploited by people who they were close to and trusted.”

She faulted an unjust system that favors the male attackers,Rape has a high profile in the Thai media, with television dramas gleefully portraying sexual assault as a common plot device. From a young age, children are exposed to programs which feature frequent rapes of women, sometimes portraying their attackers as sympathetic characters doing it for “love.” Although young women are instilled with a fear of taxi drivers, the data shows teachers are more likely to be attackers.

Victims:

6.6 percent: Small children

35.1 percent: Minors 11 and 15

22 percent: Women 16 to 20

10.1 percent: Women 26 to 30

Oldest victim: 85

Youngest victim: 1

Attackers:

12.8 percent: School and university students

8.5 percent: Teachers

7.8 percent: Taxi drivers 

Where:

26.6 percent – Bangkok

11.8 percent – Chonburi

8.3 percent – Samut Prakarn

5.9 percent – Nonthaburi

5.3 percent Pathum Thani....... Rape happens in every country, but punishment here is lacking,and also reporting the crime. This, along with the high rate of corruption involving human trafficking, is another reason girls, and women, are not safe here. A justice system that doesn't make men responsible for paying for the upkeep of children they make is another. Add to that the extremely higher pay in the US of all jobs. Minimum wage alone is 266 Baht per hour there, and most jobs with education you can get 600-800 baht an hour. Daily average wage is 300 baht, and many jobs are hard labor. This isn't what my daughter will be doing.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, GinBoy2 said:

This is one of those dilemma's

When we realized that our son's Thai HS educational was not as we had hoped, we toyed with the idea of maybe sending him to live with his half sister in Chicago, but Momma Bear just couldn't do that.

I think we did a decent job between us making up for some of the glaring gaps, and it positioned him well for college life in Chicago.

In hindsight I wish we could have stayed in Singapore longer to at least have gotten him through HS, that would have been ideal.

But even though it was a rocky few years in Thailand, it all worked out in the end, and now he's a fully intelligent self thinking young man with a successful career in the US.

On on the language thing. He speaks 4 languages.

For all parents do thisi. As a baby, I only spoke English and Mandarin, Mom Thai and Lao. It's the tried and trusted method for all multilingual families. My parents did it with me in Spanish and English and it works, you can end up with polyglot kids

We did it slightly differently. I spoke English, told mother to speak only Thai, but she tended to use only English. Though the daughter went to Thai nursery school so picked up some Thai.

At six enrolled in a French international school, so all lessons in French except English obviously. Also have a Thai teacher comes to house for two hours/week.

Now speaks both English and French like a native, and just started Spanish. . Can speak Thai, but definitely needs more work.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Nope, not international. 

Just one of the most sought after Thai schools in the country.

Edited by FruitPudding

8 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:
6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Expand  

Nope, not international. 

Just one of the most sought after Thai schools in the country.

The most sought after schools in Thailand 'used to be' the Triam Udom Suksa schools.

And this was where a lot of the wealthy, connected and so-called elite would send their children, i.e. Primeminsters children etc...  But that was decades ago and times have very much changed as pretty much everyone is well aware of how poor the government education system is. 

No Thai Government schools are 'sought after' anymore and the desirability has shifted to the top international schools for both education and connections  (I'm referring to Patana and Harrow).

The Top Bilingual School in Thailand would be Amnuay Silpa school which remains popular but not as sought after as the Top International Schools.

I very much doubt any government school in Thailand matches an average comprehensive school in the UK. 

Obviously, the situation people are in varies and some may have better opportunities and be in a better situation here than they would be in the UK, but still can't send their kids to good international schools so they compromise, thats understandable. 

But, there are also those who stay here for selfish reasons and pull the wool over their own eyes to justify why they are selling out their kids and sending them to a Thai School when they'd have a better opportunity at a school in their home country. 

That is not going to be a popular opinion - especially by those described in the last sentence where a 'raw nerve' is likely to be exposed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

very much doubt any government school in Thailand matches an average comprehensive school in the UK. 

I worked in many UK schools (2001-2009) mostly in Oxfordshire and Cornwall. Most of them were awful with bullying, beatings and drugs commonplace.

Some kids (top class) got through with a decent education, but most didn't.

My daughter here (top class) did well, my son (not top class) hasn't but at least he's avoided the violence rife in the UK schools.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I worked in many UK schools (2001-2009) mostly in Oxfordshire and Cornwall. Most of them were awful with bullying, beatings and drugs commonplace.

Some kids (top class) got through with a decent education, but most didn't.

My daughter here (top class) did well, my son (not top class) hasn't but at least he's avoided the violence rife in the UK schools.

Anecdotes & experience varies of course...  a long time ago in a galaxy far far away none of those issues really existed in the school I was at (a normal comprehensive), none of my Uni mates ever mentioned bullying or the horrible 'stuff' we hear of today.

My Nephews and Nieces don't have much to say on such issues either...  many friends in the UK also don't mention any such issues... bullying, beatings, drugs...  

I think the drugs thing is there... nephews mention there is a bit of dope about, but that seems about it. There are also 'county lines' (an organised drugs trafficking through the UK) is also a problem for those kids who could get 'dragged in'... 

An average kid in a Thai Government School is not going to do as well as an Average kid in a British Comprehensive school...  a high achiever will do well anywhere, but a high achiever will do better in the UK as there are better resources. 

If you are going to discuss bulling and beatings etc... look at all the issues with Tech colleges here... 

The same issues you described, occur here, we just hear less of them because we are out of that loop.