Srettha Government Grants Visa-Free Entry to China and Kazakhstan, Leaving Many Questions Unanswered

webfact

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

guess I will have to find a new coffee shop then as my regular little hangout will be swarmed with uncultured, rule breaking chinese in the future.

great!

I have a nice little coffee machine at home, makes a great cup at  a fraction of coffee shop prices and the ambiance is better.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

China has a very large population and a lot of citizens that travel all over the world.  Ok, I see why the Thai government would want to lure them to Thailand.  Kazakstan?  That one just boggles the mind as it's a small country of roughly 19-20 million.  I do hope that this will be extended to most western nations.

I think most if not all western nations are already visa free arrival. And as for Boris' home country, I believe its way more important than we realise for tourism here. Stats suggest its a big earner.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Do Thai people need visas to enter China?

They do but China embassy is all about business. While you need reasonable amount of paperwork, you can get express visa within a couple of hours. Obviously that's far more expensive than a "standard" visa with slower processing times

13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

They do but China embassy is all about business. While you need reasonable amount of paperwork, you can get express visa within a couple of hours. Obviously that's far more expensive than a "standard" visa with slower processing times

The visa free entry situation is untenable without full reciprocity.

If the Chinese don't allow the Thais into China without visas then they're 'sticking it to Thailand' because they know Thailand wants (not needs) the money this will bring.

Also Thailand is still on the list.....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

particularly at a time when other economic sectors—most notably exports—are experiencing a downturn.

The focus on tourism of what I call "economic low-hanging fruit" is just maintaining the economic status quo originated by the Prayut regime that tried to backfill its GDP failures.

Prayut tried to increase domestic consumption to help the economy but* linked it to a Catch-22 of government subsidies, "gifts," and government mandates for itself to purchase unsold/unmarketable Thai materials at market prices. A sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

There will already been a small economic impact simply by delay of forming the new government that could reduce GDP by 0,05-0.07%, especially with the current budget legislatively following the FY2023 budget.

Exports of agricultural, manufactured products and services through the Yingluck regime have been Thailand's GDP economic mainstay but the military coup itself together with questionable economic refocus cost the nation GDP points to the present. 

So while it is commendable that the new government will focus on higher GDP, it should consider ALL the very broad aspects necessary to recover/raise GDP. It will be a difficult focus but with a strong and successful economic expertise might provide some early success. Speaking of which who specifically is to provide such expertise? Thomason Sirisamphand who quit in October 2022; Somkid Jatusripitak hired by Prayut in 2015, eventually replaced by Pridiyathorn Devakula.

Finally, how will any new economic strategy conform with the constitutionalized 20-Year National Strategy Plan 2018-2037? Will amendment to the Constitution be required?

* my opinion