Shocking treatment: Thai-American couple demands justice after electric shock in Chon Buri hotel jacuzzi

webfact

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Compensation for what exactly, what were the injuries?

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that "damages", in personal injury cases, refers to losses including things like time missed from work, medical bills, as well as "pain and suffering", which can be both mental and physical. I have no idea how courts in Thailand tend to award damages along these lines, but I would think it exists to some degree. They most definitely have a case for it. And if negligence can be proven, there should be punitive damages too IMO, but that is unlikely to happen in personal injury cases, from what I've heard. I have a feeling that may be because the money awarded for pain and suffering may be deemed to take care of that "punishment"....? By the way, electrical shock can cause serious injuries. And the fact that she is pregnant makes one wonder what the effects could be on their unborn child. If that were my wife and 3 year old kid, I'd sure as hell be looking for any kind of punishment possible, IF it were due to negligence. If that couldn't be proven and it was purely accidental and all work on the jacuzzi and electrical system were up to par, but some unforeseeable incident brought it about, then I wouldn't pursue punitive damages. But their vacation was destroyed and a child has been affected in who knows what way, being only 3 years old. There could be a variety of mental issues to deal with. And more could be argued.... At any rate, it shouldn't have happened and the hotel should bear responsibility a hell of a lot more than just medical bills! That's ridiculous. If the family could afford the time away from their home country, maybe a couple of free weeks stay with meals would be a nice offer, even if it were only accidental, let alone the possibility of negligence. But only medical bills? For nearly being killed? Seriously???

• Haha 2

Instead of all of this ranting, someone who knows about Thai law and procedures please educate us.

Are they (those "injured") legally entitled to any compensation?

If so, how much money is normally paid for "numbness."

I thought this type of thing was handled at the local police station "mano a mano," so things can be finalized in a quick fashion. And not "muck up" the court system with frivolous lawsuits.

Anybody have knowledge of this?

I am genuinely curious!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sig said:

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that "damages", in personal injury cases, refers to losses including things like time missed from work, medical bills, as well as "pain and suffering", which can be both mental and physical. I have no idea how courts in Thailand tend to award damages along these lines, but I would think it exists to some degree. They most definitely have a case for it. And if negligence can be proven, there should be punitive damages too IMO, but that is unlikely to happen in personal injury cases, from what I've heard. I have a feeling that may be because the money awarded for pain and suffering may be deemed to take care of that "punishment"....? By the way, electrical shock can cause serious injuries. And the fact that she is pregnant makes one wonder what the effects could be on their unborn child. If that were my wife and 3 year old kid, I'd sure as hell be looking for any kind of punishment possible, IF it were due to negligence. If that couldn't be proven and it was purely accidental and all work on the jacuzzi and electrical system were up to par, but some unforeseeable incident brought it about, then I wouldn't pursue punitive damages. But their vacation was destroyed and a child has been affected in who knows what way, being only 3 years old. There could be a variety of mental issues to deal with. And more could be argued.... At any rate, it shouldn't have happened and the hotel should bear responsibility a hell of a lot more than just medical bills! That's ridiculous. If the family could afford the time away from their home country, maybe a couple of free weeks stay with meals would be a nice offer, even if it were only accidental, let alone the possibility of negligence. But only medical bills? For nearly being killed? Seriously???

Are you from the U S of A?

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

According to the American guy; mental rape, post traumatic stress disorder, aquaphobia, loss of bowel control, itchiness, loss of balance, tingling in extremities, slurred speech, temporary blindness, profuse sweating, erectile dysfunction, loss the sense of taste, heart palpitations, turophobia, Francophobia, & consecotaleophobia.

It's the American version of winning the lottery, "Oh some minor incident happened to me? I need to sue for millions".

"minor incident"? Do you have any idea what electrical shocks like this can do to you? It could damage internal organs and cause brain damage, which of course can lead to all sorts of other complications. I don't quite get how people on here can laugh this off like it's nothing. And depending only on some little news article to form such opinions over something that could have lifelong consequences for these people, including a small child for God's sake, is mindboggling. There's a thing called empathy that seems to be severely lacking around here, not to mention the ability to grasp the potential seriousness of a variety of things.... smh

• Haha 1

They were numbed? With electricity your muscles get cramped, they cant do thing anymore.

Luckily voltage and current werent that strong. Strong enough and your main muscle (heart) will stop.

230 Volts, you will feel that and hard. 5 second shock, what is that? 

Weird nothing is mentioned about the baby, the one with the real tiny heart and most vulnerable.

The question is more about the baby, what did it with the baby?!  It can take years to find out.

It shows the installation wasnt proper grounded, or even not at all.

Companies giving approval (electric system) are therefor also responsible.

Hotel responsible for negligence of maintenance and check up.

And then again most important thing, there was no RCBO. A simple device which can save your live for every electricity contact.

Yes, sue everybody for millions. It could be, the unborn child needs lots of attention later on.

Maybe the brains are damaged, but you will find out only later.

Shake up Thailand, as they are lazy in safety and not only electricity.

Afraid of water activities is your least concern, prio is on baby !

However nothing mentioned about baby.

• Thanks 1

After 20 minutes in a pool, I would start to feel numb, a 5-second shock, hey, them Doctors are really clever, down to the second? So, 20 minutes in the pool on a very hot day, a 5-second electric shock from what? Yep! Take the offer, 'cause if you carry on with that lawyer, you bet the hotel will come up with a better defence and you will lose. As someone has stated this is not America and Thai's don't like to give up their money as quickly as US companies do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sig said:

"minor incident"? Do you have any idea what electrical shocks like this can do to you? It could damage internal organs and cause brain damage, which of course can lead to all sorts of other complications. I don't quite get how people on here can laugh this off like it's nothing. And depending only on some little news article to form such opinions over something that could have lifelong consequences for these people, including a small child for God's sake, is mindboggling. There's a thing called empathy that seems to be severely lacking around here, not to mention the ability to grasp the potential seriousness of a variety of things.... smh

How to make money 101 US education

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

How to make money 101 US education

So you don't think someone receiving an electric shock in a hotel Jacuzzi is a problem, you instead find issue with the victims ????

There are some rather inside-out and upside-down opinions on this forum, almost as if some have gone so native they blame innocent victims for incompetence and negligence of others. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

As a fellow American, all I can do is shake my head and think, sheez, get over yourselves, this isn't the USA. Man up, if there isn't any obvious injuries, take the 100k and get on with your life.

The way I read it is that, the hotel will pay up to 100k against receipts.

If the claimants were billed and receipted lower than that, it's all they will get. I hope their lawyer is working pro bono.????

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Sig said:

Do you have any idea what electrical shocks like this can do to you?

Actually, yes.  I was standing in ankle deep water during a Thai thunderstorm and having lighting strike a few hundred meters away, I felt the instant shock, the numbness in the legs for the next hour.  That was 10 years ago, zero side effects.  

We don't know the voltage or amperage they were exposed to, but it sounds minimal as they were able to sit in the water for some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Are you from the U S of A?

That is irrelevant to my opinion re my point on compensation. But if you must know, to suit whatever presupposition you may be holding, my parents are not American and I grew up in a few different countries. Depending on how you define where one is "from"... I also did spend some years in America. I know absolutely that the kind of compensation I was mentioning would be offered in at the least 3 or 4 countries that I've lived and worked in. I know that the idea of compensation for mental/psychological pain/suffering is well established in both UK and Japanese law. And I would assume that if it is in two quite different cultures and juridical systems like that, it is likely common in many if not most countries. It is not anything that somehow Americans hold some sort of exclusive idea about. Not by any stretch. Now, as for Thailand.... I don't know as much in terms of law. But I do know that different Thai friends of mine who own businesses would certainly step up and try to do whatever they could to compensate the family to make them feel like they were cared about more than just paying for hospital bills. It is so absurd, it's unfathomable.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sig said:

That is irrelevant to my opinion re my point on compensation. But if you must know, to suit whatever presupposition you may be holding, my parents are not American and I grew up in a few different countries. Depending on how you define where one is "from"... I also did spend some years in America. I know absolutely that the kind of compensation I was mentioning would be offered in at the least 3 or 4 countries that I've lived and worked in. I know that the idea of compensation for mental/psychological pain/suffering is well established in both UK and Japanese law. And I would assume that if it is in two quite different cultures and juridical systems like that, it is likely common in many if not most countries. It is not anything that somehow Americans hold some sort of exclusive idea about. Not by any stretch. Now, as for Thailand.... I don't know as much in terms of law. But I do know that different Thai friends of mine who own businesses would certainly step up and try to do whatever they could to compensate the family to make them feel like they were cared about more than just paying for hospital bills. It is so absurd, it's unfathomable.

hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, bbko said:

Actually, yes.  I was standing in ankle deep water during a Thai thunderstorm and having lighting strike a few hundred meters away, I felt the instant shock, the numbness in the legs for the next hour.  That was 10 years ago, zero side effects.  

We don't know the voltage or amperage they were exposed to, but it sounds minimal as they were able to sit in the water for some time.

Although I can understand why you may want to equate your experience in some way or another to the point at hand, basing an opinion on personal anecdotal experience isn't the wisest way to form an opinion from which to judge other people's disasters against. Organ damage or brain damage may not be readily known and the unborn child may also be affected. As you mentioned, we don't know the voltage or amperage. We also don't know how long they were shocked for. They don't know either. They have their ideas, but it is not knowable (unless there is something that wasn't reported) if it happened during the last few seconds before they were able to get out or if it was a low level long term exposure. There are so many unknowns, it is ridiculous for people to make their judgments toward this family with such callousness. Electrical shocks also do not affect every person in the same way. You can shock different people in the exact same way and have completely different outcomes - from death to near no effect. The crude mental toxicity on this forum is insane (that isn't directed toward you. I'm just stunned by the level of lunacy in here.).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Artisi said:

Of course, have the authorities investigated why /what the cause was and had it rectified - no, why worry nobody died.

I doubt it was rectified, probably just normal 220V/50Hz AC.

????

(Sorry, an inside joke. @Crossy will get it)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sig said:

Although I can understand why you may want to equate your experience in some way or another to the point at hand, basing an opinion on personal anecdotal experience isn't the wisest way to form an opinion from which to judge other people's disasters against. Organ damage or brain damage may not be readily known and the unborn child may also be affected. As you mentioned, we don't know the voltage or amperage. We also don't know how long they were shocked for. They don't know either. They have their ideas, but it is not knowable (unless there is something that wasn't reported) if it happened during the last few seconds before they were able to get out or if it was a low level long term exposure. There are so many unknowns, it is ridiculous for people to make their judgments toward this family with such callousness. Electrical shocks also do not affect every person in the same way. You can shock different people in the exact same way and have completely different outcomes - from death to near no effect. The crude mental toxicity on this forum is insane (that isn't directed toward you. I'm just stunned by the level of lunacy in here.).

more humour - love it.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Sig said:

Do you know what paragraphs are..............? ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bbko said:

As a fellow American, all I can do is shake my head and think, sheez, get over yourselves, this isn't the USA. Man up, if there isn't any obvious injuries, take the 100k and get on with your life.

The hotel was not going to actually give them 100k, they offered to pay for medical costs up to 100k, providing the couple could give receipts!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

Lord help me. If they were "electrocuted" they wouldn't be here to talk about it.

Get some English lessons guys.

"English lessons"?
Lesson for the 21st century -
Electrocution/Electrocute:
Oxford Reference:    "The injury or killing of someone by electric shock"
Collins:                       "If someone is electrocuted, they are accidentally killed or badly injured when they touch 
                                    something connected to a source of electricity."
Merriam-Webster:    "to kill or severely injure by electric shock"
Longman:                   "If someone is electrocuted, they are injured or killed by electricity passing through their body."
StackExchange:        "The term electrocute was originally coined in 1889 by splicing the prefix electro- into the word
                                    execute. It originally meant execute (by electric shock). However, its meaning has evolved over
                                    time: first to also include accidental death by electric shock and later to include
                                    electrical injury, generally serious in nature."

Edited by Sig
typo
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sig said:

This isn't an academic exercise. You are being intellectually dishonest, among other things....

No I'm not, I have trouble reading it, so if I do, I expect others are too.

Paragraphs are incredibly easy to achieve, if you know how....????

11 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Hardly luxury at 3364 Baht per night. But that's  no excuse for not giving proper compensation. Giving 100000 is an insult in this case.

In Thailand , unless you are a tourist that  is luxury

Personally I would of taken the 100K

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

No I'm not, I have trouble reading it, so if I do, I expect others are too.

Paragraphs are incredibly easy to achieve, if you know how....????

If you have trouble reading it, just say so from the beginning or just walk on by. No need to be toxic and snarky, although that appears to be the penchant so so many on here....????
What kind of seriously inquiring person asks someone if they know what paragraphs are? Want to make constructive criticism in a true attempt to gain understanding or less difficulty in reading someone's writing? Then do so. No need for disparaging remarks if you really aren't being intellectually dishonest.