How different and rich is the WILDLIFE in Thailand (compared to Europe’s) ?

Franck60

1 hour ago, Franck60 said:

Hey!

I’ll be retiring in Thailand within 5 years. I’m a 60-year-old french national.

I’m comfortable in cities but I was brought up in the countryside, and really like nature, landscape, WILDLIFE and animals.

I’d to explore the countryside and discover a bit the wildlife over there.

Is it rich and diverse? 

I guess many foreigners live in cities but some might know something about this topic. Would enjoy to learn a bit from you,

Thailand has more than 10% of animals of the world.

https://www.goway.com/travel-information/asia/thailand/nature-and-wildlife/

That said walking in the jungle requires more preparation and experience than walking the Euro trails. Mountains are not that inspiring compared to Europe, but the Himalayas are quite close.

The sea has plenty of species and is generally safe, there haven't been any reports of shark attacks, and crocodiles are very rare.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, Franck60 said:

These are the ones I fear… and am less curious about.  I don’t like much reptiles, scorpions and those. What about the rest ? 

Don't be too alarmed about snakes @Franck60. Yes there are plenty around but you'll rarely see them. They tend to hide away from humans and won't harm you unless provoked into defending themselves. I've lived here in the countryside for 9 years and walk off road just about every day, but I've only seen around 10 in all that time and even they, are slithering away into hiding in the undergrowth. 

There is one scorpion that can be harmful, but that is only bad as a bee sting. (at least that's what I've been told) I've seen Thais in the villages will pick them up. They eat them!

I live in the north east and birds and butterflies are what I see the most of. Many birds migrate through this region.

Edited by Moonlover

Monitors, so so many birds, and I have never seen so many different types of ants from the size of a grain of sand to bull ants, red ants are the worst IMO little barstards, but the locals like their eggs to eat, along with lots of other insects, and dare I say Frogs :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Thailand still has many animals, reptiles insects etc that can be harmful. Snakes such as cobras and vipers, Rare big cats such as Tigers and Clouded Leopards, Scorpions, Giant Centipedes, Scorpions. Even elephants  can kill you. Mind you, the most dangerous is one of the smallest. The Aedes Egypti mosquito, which can carry Dengue, Zika and Chikungunya.

I live in a residential/ tourist area, and we often see snakes. Mostly harmless tree snakes, but occasionally cobras. even a three metre python. The locals quickly kill them. Even in the countryside a lot of wildlife will be killed. Either because its considered dangerous, or because its considered edible by the locals.

if you intend to go off path exploring the jungle, either go with someone knowledgable, or go prepared.

Even in the popular tourist places such as Phuket and Samui, there are often news reports of people going missing after wandering into the jungle, getting lost. and either being rescued or found dead.

To get the best experience you would be better off booking a guided tour in one of the many National Parks in Thailand.

What I will say, is that even living in a touristy area, the birdlife is a whole lot more colourful and beautiful than what I was used to in London. Kingfishers, Eagles, bright yellow Orioles? All a lot prettier than pigeons and Sparrows.

Bring your camera, and enjoy.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't been back to Britain for a while. What I used to notice when I went was the almost total lack of birdsong at my mother's home. All the songbirds seem to have disappeared and been replaced by pairs of magpies, which seem to be the only birds in the sky. On the upside, there seems to have been a rise in urban foxes, and indeed my mother had one that lived under her shed and sunned itself on the shed roof. No other wildlife to be seen in that suburban environment anyway. Hedgehogs all gone, no frogs or fish in the ponds (indeed the most common things in the ponds are shopping trolleys), even the dogs that filled the streets when I was a kid have vanished and aren't kicked out in the mornings to fend for themselves. I suppose you see the odd cat now and again, and snail, lots oil garden snails.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, retarius said:

I haven't been back to Britain for a while. What I used to notice when I went was the almost total lack of birdsong at my mother's home. All the songbirds seem to have disappeared and been replaced by pairs of magpies, which seem to be the only birds in the sky. On the upside, there seems to have been a rise in urban foxes, and indeed my mother had one that lived under her shed and sunned itself on the shed roof. No other wildlife to be seen in that suburban environment anyway. Hedgehogs all gone, no frogs or fish in the ponds (indeed the most common things in the ponds are shopping trolleys), even the dogs that filled the streets when I was a kid have vanished and aren't kicked out in the mornings to fend for themselves. I suppose you see the odd cat now and again, and snail, lots oil garden snails.

Hedgehogs are nocturnal so you won't see them in the day, the road I used to live in there were regular hedgehog visitors in my garden  eating the food I used to put out at night. 

Edited by roo860

I'll compare Thailand to the US as it's still a Western country.

Basically, in Thailand if it's edible then there is not much in the way of "rich and diverse."

In the US, there are so many game animals that they, in many cases, are a nuisance.  Then various states have so many 'endangered species' and wildlife protection laws on the books along with a forest service capable of enforcing wildlife laws that most citizens are happy to look and not kill.  My guess is that wildlife protection is about the same in the EU as the wildlife protection mindset is about the same.
Here in Thailand, wildlife protection is paid lip service as rangers and wildlife protection staff are under-paid and rare as hen's teeth and are predominately found in national and regional parks.

About the only place you'll find "rich and diverse" in Thailand may be in some of the National Parks, that is if they haven't been poached.  It's a rare day that you see a mammal (other than rats and dogs) unless it's roasting on a spit.
Very very very sad state of affairs.  50 to 60 years ago there was signicantly more forest as well as animal diversity.  Want diversity.  Try the Amazon before its made into a parking lot.

They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum
Then they charged the people
$50 dollars and change A dollar and a half just to see 'em

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?
They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot

-Jonie Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Forget about countryside and wildlife here.

Most land  is cultivated and/or private,and only pockets of (inaccessible) forest remain.

No mammals to speak of...only birds and reptiles.

If you attempt to hike ,on back roads, you will constantly be harassed by dogs.

I would recommend E. Europe if you are into wildlife and hiking.

Having no visa issues and free healthcare are bonuses too.

Exactly what VinnieK said  ☝️

• Love It 1

My wife and I grow a permaculture food forest as our retirement project.

The first guests that came, were crows who love our Mulberries and Figs (very exiting isn't it?)

A few other birds popped up and my wife said she never would imagine that these birds were still existing in Isaan.

Snakes, Scorpions and Spiders are returning (well doesn't pull an Eskimo from his sleigh, does it?)

Land Crabs (the black Som Tum thingies) and Frogs returned in our 5500 sqm lake we dug out where happy Mekong catfishes stalking and swallow them in whole so as the cattle egrets do... 

The only highlight till now was a fruit bat (Tame, but be careful with rabies)

and not long ago Moongoose tried to sneak into the chicken paddocks, but despite a Cobra couldn't poison it, our 12 Joule electric fence zapper made him jumping and avoiding the chicken place but is not shy to help himself at our lunch table... 

Some gray and brown squirrels pick their share on our Surinam Cherries, Mulberries and Figs.. 

The rest?

Stray dogs, (went also for the chickens and got zapped big time until they gave up) 

Meaty rice field rats which my farm gang throws on the BBQ

Oh a bird of prey is nesting in one of our Santol trees, luckily it doesn't like chicken (5 kilo Brahmas)

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Mostly birds is what you will see. The National parks are your best bet, as they are well protected, and many of the park rangers take their jobs seriously. You can see wild elephants and bison at some of the parks. Alot of monkey species. Alot of species of cats, but they are likely harder to spot. 

And alot of smaller reptiles and furry creatures. 

• Love It 1

The wildlife  could be as rich, but not as diverse,

because Thailand is a country about . half a  million square km. with similar topography and climate, where Europe is about Ten million square km  with varied topography and climate. 

But since much of Thailand's "wildlife " is foreign to you it should be  interesting  to discover.

Come and enjoy .

• Love It 2

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Nice try.

When was the last time you saw any if these?

I'm crisscrossing the roads of south Thailand for years now (day and night) and I have only encountered one civet cat. ????

So much for your list.

I can drive out at night in Blighty and I will encounter several foxes, badgers etc 

• Thumbs Up 1