How different and rich is the WILDLIFE in Thailand (compared to Europe’s) ?

Franck60

Obviously you need to get far away from people & development.  Even on trails, if worn, isn't going to have much wildlife...that you are going to notice or see.

They're catching leopards & tigers at parks on cameras, and how many of them are in country.

I see plenty of birds, and spotted otters while sitting riverside in busy areas, (KiriWong Village).  Pretty sure I've seen mongoose or similar body (not otter) crossing road, and not in the wild, NaDi, Udon Thani.

Seen more snakes than I want to, like yesterday, walking dog ????  I've actually seen peacock & pangolin out in the village areas, only one each, but really surprising.

Go out in the more nature areas, and at night you'll hear the monkeys, orangutan howling or whatever they do.

Lots of different animals out there that you hear & see, not like the ones on Soi 4, Soi 6, Soi Cowboy, Soi Patong or Bangla Rd

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Nice try.

When was the last time you saw any if these?

I'm crisscrossing the roads of south Thailand for years now (day and night) and I have only encountered one civet cat. ????

So much for your list.

I can drive out at night in Blighty and I will encounter several foxes, badgers etc 

Time for you to go to Blighty then.

Otherwise we have different types of squirrels, shrews, ferrets all within sight from our house. The variety of birds is amazing as the seasons change.

• Like 1

I have rubber and palm farms. The variety of insects on a palm farm is huge, not so much on rubber.

I hike in our nearby National Park and if you stand still - off the main path, there are many different kinds of animals. However, in primary jungle you hear far more than you can see. My local National Park organises overnight stays in a hide and there you can see many animals (and be eaten by mosquitos!)

The primary visible wildlife, after insects, are birds and here, by the sea, we get a plethora of raptors and parrots, plus migratory birds such as open billed storks.

Finally, a wonderful variety of reptiles, lizards and snakes are everywhere.

Just join a local group and you will find lots to see.

Note: I just checked and my local National Park has not re-instated nature watches at night since the lock-down. They say they have plans to do so.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:59 PM, KhunLA said:

TH still has about 35% or primary forest, EU/Europe, I think, less than 5%.

Obviously not cold weather critters, lots of snakes, more than a few venomous.

35% of the forested area is primary forest, not 35% of the entire land area 

I suppose it depends what you're looking for and where you are. I'm in the north east. If it has to be wild then you'll need to spend time trying to find it and as others have said the national parks are probably the best bet. For me even looking at the owned animals and visitors to the house and land can be interesting, especially if it's new to you. There are lots of geckos of course and If you're lucky you might see one shed it's tail, which will often continue to move for quite a while.

There's a gecko (about 18 to 20 cm) looking at me from behind a calendar on the wall right now. . I watched him very slowly creep up on and catch a moth last night. I've had them, and scorpions and snakes just in the bedroom. Water buffalo, although not wild can be interesting to watch when they are in the water. There are monkeys or gibbons that are pretty easy to find.

Good luck

Edited by kimamey

On 9/16/2023 at 8:52 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Be aware of snakes, scorpions, and lots of other dangerous creatures. 

snake_naja_kaouthia.jpg

By 'other dangerous creatures' I assume you're thinking of Thai drivers and Thai women. The women can be pretty deadly if you annoy them and they have access to anything sharp like a knife, or they are your wife. If it's both then you're in trouble.

Having said that if you survive you will be much calmer when encountering a snake or scorpion which is a good thing.

• Haha 1

As others have said, it's a mixed bag. On the one hand, most of the larger/edible wildlife have been shot/eaten and you won't find much except in the protected national parks.

On the other hand, Thailand is a tropical country so vegetation is rampant and there is life aplenty during thewet season. But it is mainly aquatic, amphibious, reptilian or invertebrate. If you live in south Thailand, adjacent to a national park, no doubt youwould see plenty of wildlife.

I've rehabilitated about one hectare of previous waste land. You can grow just about anything in the tropical climate (assuming you have access to water during the dry season) but most of the attracted wildlife will be cryptic or those species that can survive alongside rural farming. It's not like Australia where you can stop for a picnic just about anywhere and attract a bevy of wildlife. 

I'm amazed at all the lakes, swamps and wetlands around Thailand, most of which are devoid of waterbirds. Having said that, Thai rice farmers are getting better educated and waterbirds seem to be making a comeback in many areas (where they were previously shot out).

One good thing about Thailand is that the import controls are pretty slack and you can buy all sorts of exotic species at pet markets. For example, coming from Australia I was deprived of land tortoises and iguanas, which you can easily buy here. You can get all sorts of exotic fish to stock your ponds, some of them true river monsters.

I used to have iguanas living in the trees and swimming across the pond to sit on the verandah waiting on a feed. Unfortunately the neighbours killed and ate them when we were away for a few weeks. I'm sure they would have gotten my Asian Tortoise as well, but it weighs about 30 kg and resents being 'manhandled' (he prefers to be moved around in the wheelbarrow).

So you can get just about any exotic pet you want which, in my view, helps make up for the lack of local wildlife.

Small 4.jpg

Iguana and bread.jpg

Alligator Gar.jpg

Big Pacu 3.jpg

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 12:53 AM, Moonlover said:

Don't be too alarmed about snakes @Franck60. Yes there are plenty around but you'll rarely see them. They tend to hide away from humans and won't harm you unless provoked into defending themselves. I've lived here in the countryside for 9 years and walk off road just about every day, but I've only seen around 10 in all that time and even they, are slithering away into hiding in the undergrowth. 

There is one scorpion that can be harmful, but that is only bad as a bee sting. (at least that's what I've been told) I've seen Thais in the villages will pick them up. They eat them!

I live in the north east and birds and butterflies are what I see the most of. Many birds migrate through this region.

Scorpion stings can be nasty, I've had one.

Another creature to be wary of is the centipede. (ตะขาบ). The nasty, almost prehistoric looking one. Very painful for a couple of days if stung by one of those.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Scorpion stings can be nasty, I've had one.

Another creature to be wary of is the centipede. (ตะขาบ). The nasty, almost prehistoric looking one. Very painful for a couple of days if stung by one of those.

Thanks for reminding me! I'd forgotten about the centipedes. 

And coming back to scorpions, although I suggested that they not regarded as very harmful, just as with bee stings, there's always the risk of anaphylactic shock and sudden death, so they're worth avoiding, just in case!

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks for reminding me! I'd forgotten about the centipedes. 

And coming back to scorpions, although I suggested that they not regarded as very harmful, just as with bee stings, there's always the risk of anaphylactic shock and sudden death, so they're worth avoiding, just in case!

When I got stung by a scorpion the pain was quite severe for a few hours. Then constant tingling for about 3 days. After the initial pain had died down it became more annoying than anything.

44 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

When I got stung by a scorpion the pain was quite severe for a few hours. Then constant tingling for about 3 days. After the initial pain had died down it became more annoying than anything.

My wife sometimes reminds me to check inside my shoes before putting them on just in case one is hiding within. Words of wisdom methinks. ????

43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

My wife sometimes reminds me to check inside my shoes before putting them on just in case one is hiding within. Words of wisdom methinks. ????

Checking you trousers before you put them on if you've left them on the floor overnight, are probably wiser words. ????????????

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Happened too many times that some critter decided my shoes are a nice new home that I always put the shoes now inside the house. Flip flops can stay outside.

• Thumbs Up 1

Insects and other invertebrates are plentiful .... too plentiful in the case of mosquitos and ants. Quite a few reptiles, and lots of frogs. Birds = quite a lot, but more in the UK - may be more species here but numbers are low. Rural Thais still mist net and eat wild birds. Wild ducks rare. Wild mammals nearly non-existent. In 12 years at home, on the farm and out and about have only seen rats, white squirrels (dirty white) and .... a skull of a shrew. Everything else eaten long ago. There are a large variety of fish, but many are on the edge of extinction - again over exploitation. It is quite educational to see Thais during the dry season pump out small ponds and remove ALL the fish, larger bodies of water are netted.

Also, in the last 10 years,  variety of wildlife has diminished. Rarely see tokays now, or larger insects other than butterflies and dragonflies. Rice fields do not support much diversity.