Swollen joint on second toe, pain in others

simon43

That pain is a warning sign that you need to change something now. 1) Buy a pair ( or two) of FitFlops which are not only comfortable but also support your feet and very gradually encourage the bones into a better position. Fitflop make slides and sandals as well as more conventional styles.   

2) to ease the pain now, apply one of the yellow balms with ginger and other anti- inflammatory ingredients at night and first thing. 

That way you may be able to avoid surgery on the bunions. Good luck!

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think it is capsulitis, usually caused by abnormal foot mechanics which could be secondary to the bunion.

See  https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/capsulitis-of-the-second-toe

It might also be Freiberg’s disease, although, I don't remember a 'lot' of swelling. If your 2nd toe is longer than the big one, it should be considered.  Best place to figure it out is your local orthopedic doctor.

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm sorry to inform you we have to amputate your foot ......

I'm further sorry to inform you that after the operation ....  we accidentally amputated the wrong foot 

That's  ok,  the bloke in the next bed wants to buy your Slippers

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, nana kid said:

FYI    There are no Podiatrists in Thailand,  For a proper diagnosis find one in Singapore

There are one or two.

And more to the point there are a number of good  orthos specializing in foot and ankle. 

15 hours ago, connda said:

My one toe with gout tells me exactly where my uric acid level are.  As far as treatment, what can you really do.  My sister had her toe fused a bunch of years back but now requires orthopedic shoes. I always thought that was a rather drastic approach, but I'm not her.  Other than taking Colchicine and painkillers and watching your diet, what can you do?  Thank goodness flare ups only happen rarely.

You can prevent it entirely with Allopurinol (puride). I was having occasional gout attacks, and did some blood work with a rheumatologist. We kept upping the dosage, and at 450mg per day, my levels were brought down to where I need them to be, in order to not have to avoid my favorite foods, which are mostly seafood. Also, colchicine stopped working for me entirely. I tried using the Japanese Big Pharma, non generic version, Colcrys, which is not available here, and is ridiculously expensive. I now use Indoman (Indomethacin), which is far more effective, is cheap, and available here, and gets rid of a gout attack within hours, or a day at the most.

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

The intention is not to reduce the bunion (which as Sheryl rightly says), would need surgery.  Rather, I hope this kind of device would slowly move my big toe away from pressing on my second toe.

I doubt it will help much.

Especially as an untreated bunion will continue to worsen over time. 

On 9/17/2023 at 1:53 PM, Gecko123 said:

I know this is off-topic and I apologize to other readers, but a while back you posted about a phlegm problem you were experiencing.

I don't have any answers for the root cause of the problem, but my advice would be to take a close look at your indoor air quality, especially around your work station and in the kitchen, especially if you use cooking gas. I recall your ham radio hobby and that you teach on-line. It's been my observation that electronics and other mechanical devices can degrade air quality significantly, and there has been a lot in the news lately about how cooking gas degrades air quality in the home. 

Edited by Yme