UK IT firms back nationwide tablet initiative for equal education

webfact

image.jpeg

The plan of the Education Ministry to equip every student and teacher across the nation with a tablet has received support from several IT companies.

They believe the tablet initiative is a step towards promoting equal educational opportunities. However, they recommend a well-thought-out strategy about device specifications, relevant courseware, and the necessary skills students should acquire.

This tablet initiative is an integral part of the ministry’s objective to facilitate “good learning with happiness” and is expected to commence with secondary schools. The “one tablet per child” programme is not a new concept; it was introduced by the Yingluck Shinawatra administration in 2011. By mid-2012, about 860,000 prathom 1 (grade 1) students had received tablets.

Nitipat Praweenwongwuthi, Acer Computer’s marketing director, pointed out that this programme has seen three significant phases. The Yingluck administration’s phase was marked by concerns about device specifications and content shortage, coupled with unprepared students and teachers.

The second phase was triggered by the pandemic, which necessitated remote learning. This phase saw students becoming more familiar with online learning and completing assignments using computers.

by Alex Morgan

Top Photo: Tawatchai Kemgumnerd/ Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

it was introduced by the Yingluck Shinawatra administration in 2011. By mid-2012, about 860,000 prathom 1 (grade 1) students had received tablets.

I wonder how many of these 10 year old tablets are still working, or have been sold.

52 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Knowing that 2012 tablets can have had Android 4.1 at best, what's your guess?

Yes, totally useless now. Would not be allowed in the ULEZ zone!

Sorry, it should be ULEZ or ULE zone. A bit like PIN number, which should be just PIN.

Another promise the government can't afford. Another 'old policy' dusted off and presented as a new idea. Did the country forget about the corrupt way this done last time?

The dollar has been climbing higher and higher ever since the new government was formed.... I wonder why?

• Like 1

In an Aus disadvantaged school we purchased Apple Ipads for the school. I also purchased mobile charge racks, so that the I pads were always charged and updated.

Also had each teacher give me a list of apps they wanted installed on the Ipads.

Worked really well. 

The purchase of Ipads without the other hardware and software will last for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

"UK IT Firms......."

However, no mention of any UK IT company in the linked tale. Should it read "Crooked IT..." ?

Yes I was looking for a reference to a UK company as well. Interestingly the words "UK" are not used in the Thaiger headline (or not anymore?) so why did AN add it...........