Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

8 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thai tax payable on 65K per month (980K PA) is about 70K Baht. 

If you are over 65, and IF they grant you the same allowance as Thais, 

there is another allowance of 190,000. That would result in about 40k tax.

There even is an allowance of 100,000 for pensions, but they will probably say "only Thai pensions"

BTW it's 780K, not 980K

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Yes, but the thing is, the Chinese are coming, and in big numbers. 5 years from now, the Chinese will have bought all available condos (anything to get out of Xi's China). Thaksin is half Chinese, as are most of the Thailand elite. Chinese are welcome, people with white skin from developed democratic nations, are not. We are the Thai elites worst enemy, indusing  democratic thoughts into our Thai spouses, girlfriends, lovers, friends. 

Maybe it will be many young Taiwanese escaping Xi's grasp.

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many Chinese want their money to leave China due to problems with banks there. Perhaps they heard about that in Thai government and want to cash in on it.

It's not so easy as before to get money out of China.

17 minutes ago, beammeup said:

I can understand taxing remittances used for living expenses, but having to pay an income tax to purchase property, condo's vehicles etc? People will just choose not to. this will be a downer on the economy.

The solution for those who can is to send the condo money before becoming a resident. For clarity, then opening a new bank account to use as resident might help.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

1) what is considered Assessable Income

Translation of the new rule:

Section 1: A person who is Persons residing in Thailand according to Section 41, paragraph three, of the Revenue Code who have assessable income due to work duties or activities conducted abroad or because the property is in Foreign countries according to Section 41, paragraph two of the Revenue Code In the said tax year and took that assessable income Entering Thailand in any tax year That person has a duty to include that assessable income in the calculation. To pay income tax according to Section 48 of the Revenue Code In the tax year in which the assessable income was brought in in Thailand.

It's clear to me that some types of assessable income have been specifically defined in the order, thus logically not including all the types listed in Section 40 of Thailand's Revenue Code.

8 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Translation of the new rule:

Section 1: A person who is Persons residing in Thailand according to Section 41, paragraph three, of the Revenue Code who have assessable income due to work duties or activities conducted abroad or because the property is in Foreign countries according to Section 41, paragraph two of the Revenue Code In the said tax year and took that assessable income Entering Thailand in any tax year That person has a duty to include that assessable income in the calculation. To pay income tax according to Section 48 of the Revenue Code In the tax year in which the assessable income was brought in in Thailand.

It's clear to me that some types of assessable income have been specifically defined in the order, thus logically not including all the types listed in Section 40 of Thailand's Revenue Code.

Very well noticed. 

So pensions would not be taxable, I wrote my last post for what??

It remains the problem of proof.

20 minutes ago, Lorry said:

First, this ruling is from August 1, 2023. We have a new government now.

Second, this site also states that pensions brought into Thailand ARE taxable. So the rest of your post resp. a DTA applies. But you can see from the length of your own post how complicated this is going to be. Starting with the proof that your remittance is from savings,  not from your pension. 

So pay up (a couple of thousand US, see above), hire a tax adviser (the guy in the video posted above says with his firm it will result in taxes of only  a couple of thousand US if his firm does it) or spend 30% of your time in Thailand with the RD.

The latest ruling says any prior rulings that contradict it are rescinded. Thus the 2023 ruling that overseas savings are not taxable could be deemed as rescinded. Savings are prior years earnings which the latest duly says are taxable without time limit.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Very well noticed. 

So pensions would not be taxable, I wrote my last post for what??

It remains the problem of proof.

The RD ruled that overseas pensions are taxable in Thailand in 2023. I don’t see any wording in the latest order rescinding that. So they are still taxable, even if not specifically listed.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:19 AM, NoDisplayName said:

Okay, fine. 

There is no minimum time spent in Thailand required to maintain a "retirement" visa extension.  I can keep my 800K in the bank, spend 181 days in other countries, and send my Wise transfers to a Cambodian bank account.  Can carry my Thai spending money in my wallet on frequent visits.

No, wait........why AM I going to all this trouble?

Only check out before what will happen with your money on Cambodian bank account if you leave conuntry ???

13 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The RD ruled that overseas pensions are taxable in Thailand in 2023. I don’t see any wording in the latest order rescinding that. So they are still taxable, even if not specifically listed.

Yeah,if tax is not payed in your home country and pension is remitted to thailand in year it is earned.

• Thumbs Up 1