Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

3 minutes ago, clearance said:

So, for example, if I'm a foreigner who lives in Thailand on an Elite visa. In 2024 I'm planning to buy a house or apartment there. I will transfer money from my savings abroad. And they will tax me for 35%?

Yes, you will pay 0% from 0-150k, 5% from 150k-300k(Baht7500),10% from300k-500k(Baht20,000),15% from 500k-750k(Baht37,500),20% from750k-1 million(Baht50,000),25% from 1million-2million, 30% from 2 million-5million and 35% on anything over 5Million. This is what we know so far.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am already taxed 10% on my dividends from the country where I own the stocks. It is deducted every time I get a dividend from the country. Also I am taxed on the dividends in the US. So, I assume if I bring that money over from the US then I will not be taxed again?

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

And you know that any US expats that have  more than 10K USD in Thai Baht in a Thai bank, The bank reports that to the IRS as well. 

Actually, the FATCA reporting threshold is $50K for bank reporting requirements; 10K is the FBAR threshold for individual reporting requirement. Sounds like there's something afoot in Congress about matching FBAR to the FATCA $50K threshold. Since Congress only elects idiots these days, can't see much happening with this ... not until Hunter Biden is tar and feathered.

2 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I am already taxed 10% on my dividends from the country where I own the stocks. It is deducted every time I get a dividend from the country. Also I am taxed on the dividends in the US. So, I assume if I bring that money over from the US then I will not be taxed again?

According to what little they have said so far, you could take a tax credit for the 10% tax already paid, if your country has a double tax agreement with Thailand.  Then, depending on what is your top marginal rate of Thai tax, you might have to pay some more tax, since foreign dividends are taxable as normal income at rates ranging from 0 to 35% 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Doubtful. There's no way they can parse a cash flow into Thailand, especially if its from a savings, checking, or credit union account -- to determine what's income and what's principal. The holdings in my savings account, from where my SWIFT, Wise and ATM transfers occur, has my after tax withholding direct deposits from my Air Force retirement; Social Security; and IRA RMD annual payment. Only my annual reinvested interest is not after tax payment (withholding). But, if we're going FIFO for my wire transfers, last year's interest shows up as taxed on my IRS 1040 tax return.

Anyway, if I send a load of cash to Thailand from the account mentioned above, there's no way the Thai RD folks could parse what's what for income tax purposes. Stupid if they even tried. And for those arguing about ATM remittances, since these come from the same kind of accounts I'm talking about here -- same argument.

So, it will be interesting to see how cash flow remittances into Thailand will be scrutinized to determine what's income taxable by Thailand -- and what's not. That's where this whole new drill breaks down. Best option is to just concentrate on income earned abroad, and identified with the new CRS, or equivalent, data reporting systems. Forget remittance.

It will not be a case of just waiting to see how they classify your overseas income when you remit some money in.  You will be required to classify it yourself and file a tax return accordingly. They may or may not investigate you and demand documentary evidence but they can and do go back many years.  When they decide to do a random inspection, they work hard to try to find a reason to charge back tax, interest and penalties to make it worth their while.  Don't ask me how I know this.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Doubtful. There's no way they can parse a cash flow into Thailand, especially if its from a savings, checking, or credit union account -- to determine what's income and what's principal. The holdings in my savings account, from where my SWIFT, Wise and ATM transfers occur, has my after tax withholding direct deposits from my Air Force retirement; Social Security; and IRA RMD annual payment. Only my annual reinvested interest is not after tax payment (withholding). But, if we're going FIFO for my wire transfers, last year's interest shows up as taxed on my IRS 1040 tax return.

They can just tax everything, and do tax returns when you confirm that money is already taxed in another country (if that country have a treaty with Thailand).

• Thumbs Up 1

It is impossible to impose income tax on "net-tax funds" transfers into Thailand.....

If they did that it would be called a very heavy incoming funds transfer tax... which needs to apply across the board..

Example John and Mary Smith sell their primary residence townhouse in Manchester for a 20m baht tax free capital gain and bring in 10m baht to buy a 30 year lease house in Thailand.... is Thailand going to treat that as income and tax it?

There is only half the law announced so far.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Geir Rasch said:

You obviously don’t understand much about tax, and you have some reading issues. I never said there is no 180 days rule, I wrote there is no 183 days rule. Do you see the difference?
Thai tax is like norwegian tax, progressiv. There is also deduction for age, care of children and also for wife if she does not have income. If you are single and 65 years old or older, only income over 500k will be taxed. 
To get as low as 1,7% tax in Norway means that you are not voluntary member of nav.
If your income is 65k a month and you are singlr, do not have other deduction than age, your average tax to Thailand would be app. 2,6%.

A better link for you here. Updated, and it shows 0 percent taxes up to 250.000 NOK pension, for 2023.

65.000 baht a month should equal around 235.000 NOK a year.

That's my reality, as well as others with similar income, for me by choice (from 62 years old). 

Thailand can't compete with that. 

https://www.smartepenger.no/skatt/1905-skatteprosent-pa-pensjonsinntekt

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Geir Rasch said:

You obviously don’t understand much about tax, and you have some reading issues. I never said there is no 180 days rule, I wrote there is no 183 days rule. Do you see the difference?
Thai tax is like norwegian tax, progressiv. There is also deduction for age, care of children and also for wife if she does not have income. If you are single and 65 years old or older, only income over 500k will be taxed. 
To get as low as 1,7% tax in Norway means that you are not voluntary member of nav.
If your income is 65k a month and you are singlr, do not have other deduction than age, your average tax to Thailand would be app. 2,6%.

Lol. It's you who don't know about taxes for lower income in Norway. Get down from your high horse, and read up. Start with the link above. It's never too late to learn something.

In fact, a 65.000 baht pension income in Norway, equals to about 235.000 NOK. After all normal deductions everyone get is made, that will equal to zero tax in Norway. Zero.

Of course I'm a "member" of Nav. I live in Norway.

In Thailand I will have to pay taxes from that, based on the same numbers and deductions. I'm not even 65, and don't get the 190.000 baht deduction.

That is, if this change will be forced upon us, which so far it hasn't. 

That 180/183 issue you are trying to make a number of, seriously.. It was a typo. And you jumped all over it. Don't be that guy, fellow Norwegian.

Edited by thaibreaker

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

According to what little they have said so far, you could take a tax credit for the 10% tax already paid, if your country has a double tax agreement with Thailand.  Then, depending on what is your top marginal rate of Thai tax, you might have to pay some more tax, since foreign dividends are taxable as normal income at rates ranging from 0 to 35% 

If we're talking about the 10/11% Withholding tax paid on Dividends in the UK then you (as an Individual) cannot claim a Tax Credit for this, and in reality you haven't paid it [Do the calculation on declared dividend x #Shares you'll find you haven't paid any Tax]... This "Tax Credit" is for the Company to offset the dividend against it's profits when calculating it's Corporation Tax, but it does come into play as a Non-UK Resident when it comes to the dividend being treated as "Excluded Income" as this should be the only Tax that you need to "Pay" & so no further Tax is due.

If Thailand were to start Taxing Dividend Income being brought into the country from any previous Tax Year then it would be very costly & a nightmare to calculate for me as I typically re-invest the Dividend & only bring the cash in when I sell the asset at some point a few years later, by which time it has generated it's own Dividends which have been reinvested, sometimes back into the same stock which then has generated it's own dividends.... etc...  ????

If you did need to pay additional Tax on any (Non-ISA) Dividend income that takes you over your allowances of £13,570 (£12,570 Personal Taxation Allowance + £1,000 Dividend Allowance), then you will pay tax on this at a rate of :-

- 8.75% Basic Rate (£13,570 - £37,700)

- 33.75% Higher Rate (£37,701 - £150,000) 

- 39.35% Additional Rate (> £150,001) 

You should be able to offset any of this additional Tax against any further Tax that Thailand applies (Will be treated as Income so 0-35%) if you bring the money across.

Edited by Mike Teavee

6 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

That’s a great example. Assuming they had already become Thai tax residents in the tax year they remitted the funds, John and Mary need to file a PNG 90 tax return for that year. If we assume the 10m they remit is from the profit, then that, as income from the sale of overseas immovable property, that is fully taxable in Thailand and they have no tax credit to apply because they didn’t pay UK tax on the gain. They will get the standard Thai tax allowances but their high income for the year will likely push them into the top marginal tax rate of 35%. Most likely any of the original principle used to buy the house would be lumped in as taxable income too because there is no clear way to separate it out.

UK gives full tax break for sale of primary residence but TH does not. Thai tax on sale of property by individuals is calculated on a purely transactional basis on the total sales price according to a slightly complex formula based on how many years held without reference to your other income or top marginal tax rate. This rarely works out at more than 5% of the sales price with room for cheating if the sales price is less than the govt appraisal price. But this only applies to Thai property transacted at the Land Dept.

Conclusion. John and Mary decide not to buy the 30 year lease which structurally is a poor investment anyway. They continue renting in Thailand and transfer their capital gains in smaller annual portions incurring lower marginal tax rates.  The numbers would probably look better if they took separate remittances and each filed their own tax returns rather than as a married couple. To file as a married couple they will need to submit a certified translation of their marriage translation certificate further notarized by the Foreign Ministry anyway.

Well said. That is one depressing state of affairs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

To tax all money that comes into Thailand would be the end of Thailand....Might as well just carpet bomb the place with nukes and get the distruction over with...

To make a Huge announcement  like this with no details is hilarious,,

This tax nonsese is not going to happen ever......They could never pull it off....  

Hello, Do you have 3 legs? Do you walk on all 3, or just two? Would you be interested in walking on all 3 of your legs?

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1