Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

2 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

They just concluded that after all that I do not need to pay additional tax in Thailand.I had electronic -documents signiture from my bank and my RD.They accepted that(we translated in Thai).No need to certified by the tax authority.They check my bank accounts here (take a copy).The procedure was longer and more complex for me and in Thai language mostly.Procedure was not "horrific ",only demanding and new for me.Next time I am prepared and I know what to do.

Thanks for the response. People from some countries may have trouble getting those documents with electronic signature from tax authorities.  I have an accountant prepare my UK tax return but I don't recall receiving any kind of hard copy or electronic document that would be of use from HMRC.  I just have my own tax returns and some tax invoices but no receipts from HMRC. 

I think Vukovar's experience in filing tax returns and getting double tax treaty relief from the RD on foreign source pension indicates that they feel they are capable of implementing this without any further ado.  So there might not be any more information or guidelines forthcoming at all. Just do your tax return in 2025 and figure it out for yourself.  Online filing seems out of the question as there is no way to apply for tax credits. 

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, bob smith said:

That's a pretty big problem if you ask me!

do you enjoy the flooding, the corruption, the bureaucracy, the traffic et al?

Flooding happens in my country, corruption happens in my country, bureaucracy happens in my country, and it also has traffic problems.

Now if you say your country doesn't, you would probably be fibbing, or have other problems you haven't mentioned, perhaps the reason you purport to be in LOS...............:whistling:...............????

1 minute ago, transam said:

Flooding happens in my country, corruption happens in my country, bureaucracy happens in my country, and it also has traffic problems.

Now if you say your country doesn't, you would probably be fibbing, or have other problems you haven't mentioned, perhaps the reason you purport to be in LOS...............:whistling:...............????

But there are differing levels of corruption though, aren’t there? Just check out the corruptions perception index and see where Thailand currently sits..

it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I maybe wrong but......????

An extension is just that, an extension of your visa. Very few of us are actual "resident's", we are non-immigrants being allowed to stay provided certain things to get over the hurdles, but they are saying if you have your feet in the country for 180+ days, you may be taxed on the cash you bring into the country and/or earnings whilst being in the country. 

Technically you are (wrong) but it is a matter of semantics.  A Visa allows you to enter a country (if approved) and each Visa gives you 'permission to stay' in that country for a specific period of time. What can be extended is your 'permission to stay' in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Technically you are (wrong) but it is a matter of semantics.  A Visa allows you to enter a country (if approved) and each Visa gives you 'permission to stay' in that country for a specific period of time. What can be extended is your 'permission to stay' in Thailand. 

Thought that was what I said.........????

Another discussion point to throw into the conversation...  I was interested to read this  quote in the media "...chairwoman of the Association of Investment Management, said the proposed tax on global investments does not include investments in mutual funds.  Investment in this segment is not affected "

I went and read the Thai Revenue Code and Section 42 sub items 24 and 24 does seem to suggest the exemption of income tax but I couldn't pinpoint if this only meant Thai funds or could include global/foreign funds.

I hold funds in the UK (both closed ended investment trusts and open ended investment funds) so am wondering if there might be an exemption even in worse case scenario of the new rules.

It might also be of interest to some of the Australian posters who I think talked about the impact of funds.

Obviously I would take professional tax advice when the time comes, and hopefully some further guidance will materialise, but I wonder if fellow forum members have any comment/further insights/experience in this particular matter, especially if I'm getting this completely wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Aldo123 said:

Are you sure that LTR 5 year+ retirement visa avoids Thai income tax? I thought it was a requirement, which kind of put me off, just like applying for PR for same reason.

No LTR does not change anyting as it "only" exempts income earned abroad NOT income transfered into TH.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, vukovar77 said:

I have tax number as an expat here for about 8 years.Every year they ask to provide more and more documents and data.I am from EU.This year was pretty tough (for 2022)and RD check out all pension listings per month for 2022 to check out did I pay and how much taxes.They ask for yearly tax report in my home country.They ask me to show them my bank accounts in Thai banks as well.I am on retirement visa and I never had any bussiness here or rental income as well.I have Thai wife. Had to go to RD 3 times to provide all data and documents .We live simple life and abide Thai laws which demands for expats with permanent residence to have a tax number.From my experience and from my point of view it is not easy for expats do deal with this all even my income(state pension) is pretty low  comparing with most of expats live here (from my knowledge).If they do not change a new rules, next year will be very challenging for us permanents residents,from my point of view.

Thanks for your post! That is the reason why I never applied for an Thai TIN. Are you in TH with a working visa?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

You can't say with a straight face that the police reduce crime here. 

Still paying more vat +visa fees+ ... as 10 average thai people do pay in total taxes, so no offense but your argument does not hold up

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I wonder how ATM withdrawals from an offshore bank will be handled. Previously, it's been a bit expensive to NOT bank here with those fees. I can see me eating those fees as they are 220 THB on a 30k withdrawal, which is way less than being taxed.

You can use cash withdrawal at the counter with BKK Bank without any 220 Baht charge. Check with your CC company some demand a 2% mark up. You can withdraw 500K baht if your bank allows it per day. Also work with yellow bank Krungsri but only for mastercard. Drawdown they make a copy of your passport so maybe a con in regards to 100% identification regarding the new law. If your name is Joe Miller on credit card it will be more diificult to identify the correct Joe Miller.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, stat said:

I just checked about gift tax in TH. Up to 100 Million Baht in gifts that they our relatives send us we are on the safe side. That should be sufficient for most of us folks here ????

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Introduction-of-Inheritance-and-Gift-Tax

So someone can gift me 99 million tax free?

1 hour ago, stat said:

Thanks for your post! That is the reason why I never applied for an Thai TIN. Are you in TH with a working visa?

No,I am a bit old to work .I had retirement visa before and take now new marriage visa (Thai wife).

Edited by vukovar77