Hunter Biden to plead not guilty to gun charges

Social Media

image.png

US President Joe Biden's son, Hunter, will plead not guilty to three criminal charges relating to a gun purchase he made in 2018, his lawyer has said.

In a letter to the judge, attorney Abbe Lowell confirmed the intended plea while asking that the initial court appearance be held remotely.

Mr Biden was indicted last week for possessing a gun while he was an illegal drug user and lying to buy it.

If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in prison.

The 53-year-old "will waive reading of the indictment, which is merely a few pages and could easily be read at a video conference", Mr Lowell wrote in the two-page court filing on Tuesday.

"Mr Biden also will enter a plea of not guilty, and there is no reason why he cannot utter those two words by video conference," he said.

The attorney added that seeking a video hearing was not a case of the president's son "seeking any special treatment".

Instead, he said, it would "minimize an unnecessary burden on government resources and the disruption to the courthouse and downtown areas" from the Secret Service detail accompanying Mr Biden.

Mr Biden's legal team initially asked last week for their client to be allowed to appear remotely. Prosecutors opposed the request.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Where is NRA and GOP protesting Hunter's loss of his 2nd Amendment rights? 

I think the NRA and GOP both see this as a diversion, the only charge that Hunter faces that can't be tracked back to the President.  (Unless they start charging him for smoking crack while shipping hookers all over the country, which probably can't be traced back to Joe, either).

And I don't remember ever, the NRA or GOP supporting guns in the hands of crack addicts.  But I stand to be corrected.

Most of us don't give a rat about these charges.  But he did lie on an affidavit that specifically says (right on the page- I read it each time when I signed mine) that lying can end you up in jail.  Even if you don't lose your gun in a trash can somewhere in public.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rice555 said:

He lied when he filled out the "form" to purchase the gun being a drug addict. 

He did not tik the box on the form, that is the crime.

The facts of what he did aren't in dispute - what his lawyers intend to argue is that a 2022 Supreme Court decision rendered the law under which he's charged unconstitutional. It's not a far-fetched notion, either; multiple cases under that statute have been thrown out by district and appeals courts using precisely that reasoning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1