EVA Air £226 to select seats

mrblonde

10 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

Me and mrsblonde booked our flights with EVA air back in March for this November, has just dawned on my I hadn’t selected our seats so went on the app, and it’s charging us £56.60 per seat, per flight. So £226 to ensure we are sat together, is this right?

Im sure we didn’t pay last November?  Anyone know if it’s correct?

I'm flying EVA soon, I bought directly from EVA and yes I had to pay for each leg to pick seats. Same thing last year for me. If you buy from like cheapoair the seats are free.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn’t worry about it.

If that’s the price to select seats, no one else is doing it either !!!  

As above, wait for online check in. 

Actually, I checked my booking yesterday and considered selecting  a seat only to find the seat I wanted had a 6000 baht reservation  fee. Looking on the seating map it was surprising to see how many seats had already been pre booked ( marked in grey ). Most of the seats booked were isle seats.

So...will wait for online booking and see what's  available on the day.

EVA was a terrible experience for me. I was on crutches and my leg couldn't bend at the knee. I had a hospital letter and fit to fly explaining that my leg should be raised. 

The crew were not aware and did not care one bit on the actual flight, even after speaking to the Taiwan Head Office in detail during the days leading up to the flight to LHR. 

Just wanted to get that in! 

You should be fine to get 2 seats allocated together during check-in as they block out only a portion of the plane for upfront seat payers. Good luck. 

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

I'm pretty sure that if you wait until online check in opens you'll be able to select seats together anyway

Thats how most airlines work

Think it has been that way with the airlines I have used. If you want to pick your seats before check in, normally a fee, but free after check in opens if you want to alter what has been allocated.

Normally people on same booking would be seated together if booking made some time in advance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Next.. Fee to Pee… 555

Ryan air (A budget carrier based out of Ireland) which has a notorious reputation for poor customer service and charging ridiculous amounts for things such as £55 printing a boarding pass floated the idea of also charging passengers for using the bathrooms on a flight. 

They also floated the idea of standup seating to cram in more passengers on short flights.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Cardinalblue1958 said:

If you buy Econ standard tickets, must pay for seats….if Econ premium, it includes seats

basically a wash if you want to ensure seats are together or an aisle seat 

Seats used to be extra charge only with budget airlines, now the so called "full service* airlines started charging as well.

I pretty much never pay for a seat, just ask nicely during check-in and most likely you'll get seats together or isle seats.

Relying on the online check-in usually produce worse outcome, seats are auto allocated by the software.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

checking in online the day before and choosing your seats is the best option if not wanting to pay (check-in online and choosing seats at that time should be free).

I flew EVA from BKK/LHR last year. Went to check-in online the day before and virtually no choice of seats. Ended up sitting in middle (I prefer aisle access). It was then I discovered that EVA allows online check-in 48 hours before flight! I was too late.  

On 9/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, mrblonde said:

Me and mrsblonde booked our flights with EVA air back in March for this November, has just dawned on my I hadn’t selected our seats so went on the app, and it’s charging us £56.60 per seat, per flight. So £226 to ensure we are sat together, is this right?

Im sure we didn’t pay last November?  Anyone know if it’s correct?

I've flown Eva loads of time over the years LHR to BKk always free to choose seat. So now they charge 50 quid per seat?  Bloody hell I will check when I buy my flights for November

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

I've flown Eva loads of time over the years LHR to BKk always free to choose seat. So now they charge 50 quid per seat?  Bloody hell I will check when I buy my flights for November

Many airlines started charging for seats, Qatar, Etihad etc..

Some like Singapore Airlines have now "economy lite" class with only cabin baggage included.

Edited by gearbox
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Such a simple 'fit for everyone' solution....   who'd have thunk it !!!....     genius !!! :whistling:

It is good there are people flying business class, otherwise they'll raise the prices for the economy tickets.

I fly economy only when I can't fly budget or is better to use my frequent flyer points. Entertainment is crap anyway, and there is no chef on board. With the budget airlines it is very cheap to move a lot of luggage like 50 kilos.

The only gotcha is you need to have a jacket in the cabin, they ramp up the aircon initially to force people to hire blankets, after a while it goes back to normal.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, gearbox said:

It is good there are people flying business class, otherwise they'll raise the prices for the economy tickets.

I fly economy only when I can't fly budget or is better to use my frequent flyer points. Entertainment is crap anyway, and there is no chef on board. With the budget airlines it is very cheap to move a lot of luggage like 50 kilos.

The only gotcha is you need to have a jacket in the cabin, they ramp up the aircon initially to force people to hire blankets, after a while it goes back to normal.

What?

56 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Many airlines started charging for seats, Qatar, Etihad etc..

Some like Singapore Airlines have now "economy lite" class with only cabin baggage included.

You are correct I just checked most of the big airlines are charging the seats as add ons I will probably still go with Eva used to them so many times over the years always find them good and cabin crew always are lovely

Edited by DaveE13
  • Like 1

I've been seeking online for tickets for nonstop London to Bangkok.  I found a few at very competitive prices with EVA Air being adverised by unknown agencies around London.  Typically, one advertised that price does not include seat alocation and most that seat charged at extra in accordance with their term and conditions. 

I have always been under the impression that EVA does not charge for seat selection, so I called EVA directly to confirm.  I was catagorically assured by EVA very helpfull operator that EVA - DO NOT - charge for seat selection and warned by her that the agencies offering the highly discounted prices charge for seat selection together with other spurious charges in order to boost their income to make up for the loss they would otherwise make on selling the cheap tickets.  I have, subsequently, just bought tickets from a London Thai run agency at around £200 cheaper than buying direct from EVA and there is No seating charge.  So,  beware of the scammers charging for seats.  However, if your still able to buy a cheap ticket without paying them for the seating, by all means do so and on receipt of your ticket, log into your official EVA booking and make your seat selection directly with  EVA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2