EVA Air £226 to select seats

mrblonde

5 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

I've been seeking online for tickets for nonstop London to Bangkok.  I found a few at very competitive prices with EVA Air being adverised by unknown agencies around London.  Typically, one advertised that price does not include seat alocation and most that seat charged at extra in accordance with their term and conditions. 

I have always been under the impression that EVA does not charge for seat selection, so I called EVA directly to confirm.  I was catagorically assured by EVA very helpfull operator that EVA - DO NOT - charge for seat selection and warned by her that the agencies offering the highly discounted prices charge for seat selection together with other spurious charges in order to boost their income to make up for the loss they would otherwise make on selling the cheap tickets.  I have, subsequently, just bought tickets from a London Thai run agency at around £200 cheaper than buying direct from EVA and there is No seating charge.  So,  beware of the scammers charging for seats.  However, if your still able to buy a cheap ticket without paying them for the seating, by all means do so and on receipt of your ticket, log into your official EVA booking and make your seat selection directly with  EVA.

You know what I always buy direct with Eva air. Maybe that's why I never paid extra. I checked sky scanner and all the cheaper tickets were with agencies but pay extra for seat selection.  After the add ons it is cheaper buying direct 

As a bye, last Chistmas time we flew London to Bangkok with Thai Air and again in July with Qatar Air.  Both tickets, bought through cheap agancies, were ECONOMY LIGHT and both stated that check in luggage is not included.  Nevertheless, on both ocassions. we turned up at Heathrow with around 25kg suitcases for each of us plus hand luggage, two for my wife and two for me.  We were checked in for both flights with no problems or addition charges whatsoever

12 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

I have, subsequently, just bought tickets from a London Thai run agency at around £200 cheaper than buying direct from EVA and there is No seating charge.  So,  beware of the scammers charging for seats.

Be very careful of those cheap agencies , have you actually got the ticket yet ?

Flew almost exclusively with EVA the last 15 years. They were usually great to deal with but post-covid they seem hell bent in  grabbing as much as possible from their customers now. Change fees have gone through the roof and seat selection fees which didn’t used to exist before. We have been flying Starlux lately and have quite been impressed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Whatever the call centre operator told you is not true. I just went and tried to book directly though the Eva web site, for "Economy Basic" ticket it is written clearly - "Seat: Fees apply". 

That's confirmed it then.  I travel to see the girlfriend on my own so it not a big deal. But a large family group say that adds up to a few quid on top. But it is what it is now with air travel

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

As a bye, last Chistmas time we flew London to Bangkok with Thai Air and again in July with Qatar Air.  Both tickets, bought through cheap agancies, were ECONOMY LIGHT and both stated that check in luggage is not included.  Nevertheless, on both ocassions. we turned up at Heathrow with around 25kg suitcases for each of us plus hand luggage, two for my wife and two for me.  We were checked in for both flights with no problems or addition charges whatsoever

Qatar doesn't sell tickets which don't include checked in baggage. "Economy lite" has 20kg included.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/09/26/qatar-airways-new-fare-families-for-flights-effective-october-1-2021/

On 9/24/2023 at 10:26 AM, gearbox said:

Whatever the call centre operator told you is not true. I just went and tried to book directly though the Eva web site, for "Economy Basic" ticket it is written clearly - "Seat: Fees apply". 

Yup. I checked today again for tommorow and all seats booked bar three, the extra leg room ones . To book one of those three remaining  seats cost 6000 baht !!

So..rather than risk not getting a seat at all ( overbooked ) I bit the bullet.

On reflection  it is probably worth it just to have no seats in front of me so I can stretch out, very useful as I have sciatica. 

I don't know if I should post this. On a ticket I bought ( with wife being the other passenger) to fly to the states and back last year, I ran into the pay extra to sit together fee. I am 76 and my wife is 56. Every time I booked my seat first in the non fee seats, it would blank out any seat next to me, even what was other non fee seats. But when I booked a seat for my wife first, I was able to book an aisle. A glitch? I don't know, but it worked on two legs of the trip.

In the States I see they are charging extra to use the overhead and you have to pay extra for the second bag on international flights. They should just raise the price of the ticket and let us pick our seats and be able to bring two bags instead of all these games.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:16 AM, QPRFC said:

EVA was a terrible experience for me. I was on crutches and my leg couldn't bend at the knee. I had a hospital letter and fit to fly explaining that my leg should be raised. 

The crew were not aware and did not care one bit on the actual flight, even after speaking to the Taiwan Head Office in detail during the days leading up to the flight to LHR. 

Just wanted to get that in! 

You should be fine to get 2 seats allocated together during check-in as they block out only a portion of the plane for upfront seat payers. Good luck. 

Raised, what does that mean? Did you expect an widebody exit row seat or bulkhead seat?

That is fine but If the seat is you need  is a a premium paid seat it does not mean you get it free just because you have a medical restriction. In fact, if BR was not able to accommodate you in accordance with the Fit to Fly letter from your Doctor the Captain should have denied you boarding in the interest of safety.

On 9/23/2023 at 8:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I was the villain on a recent flight...  We'd booked 3 seats together (Wife, Son and I) at no charge because of tier membership.

Upon boarding a lady and her old mum were sat in our seats because they didn't want to sit apart. 

That meant Wife, Son and I sitting separately and I wasn't having that. 

No scene, I just waited patiently for the flight attendants to deal with it - but the lady was not happy with me at all.... especially when I asked her why she thought her mum was more important than my child.

I think by law, airlines have to seat children with a parent, but IF you really want to make sure you are sitting next to your wife etc checking in online the day before and choosing your seats is the best option if not wanting to pay (check-in online and choosing seats at that time should be free).

A few years ago I made the very amateur mistake of choosing a row each for my Wife, Son and I. 

Upon online check-in the seat map was empty and I figured the flight was empty so thought we could get plenty of space. How, wrong I was...  We walked onto an 80% full flight, fortunately people were happy to 'move forwards or backwards a row' (into the same seat).

Good job Richard.

Most are well tired of the entitled Chads and Karens  attitudes and behaviors on aircraft. Their unreasonable demands and outbursts at the expense of others are out of line and should be quashed.

Edited by Captain Monday

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Some Emirates business class fares don't even include lounge access either.

The Finnair ones I mentioned were the same - no lounge.  However I have Oneworld Sapphire status through Qatar and that got me the lounge and hold baggage for no extra cost.  Similar with Emirates Business Special tickets I've booked in the past when I had Emirates Skywards Gold status.

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

Every time I booked my seat first in the non fee seats, it would blank out any seat next to me, even what was other non fee seats. But when I booked a seat for my wife first, I was able to book an aisle. A glitch? I don't know, but it worked on two legs of the trip.

Did you have frequent flyer status with the airline?  They often block seats next to them (although they release them if the flight gets full) as a perk, so maybe they thought they were doing you a favour at the time.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:06 AM, DaveE13 said:

You are correct I just checked most of the big airlines are charging the seats as add ons I will probably still go with Eva used to them so many times over the years always find them good and cabin crew always are lovely

Great crews. Always willing to help. They always thank you for helping people load bags into the over head storage when boarding or leaving the aircraft.

• Haha 1