What do I need on arrival at Suv?

17 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Why comment? Did you read the title of this thread even?

The OP mentioned previously he used visa exempt entry and onward flight. 

From the OP....

"I don't have a visa and am a US citizen." 

The post above yours confirms that indeed onward flight can be required for airline at departure.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It has been delegated to the airlines to check and ensure onward travel... 

I'm not so sure it's been delegated.  Rather, they're protecting their own interest because they're responsible for the expense of taking anyone back who isn't allowed in by immigration.  Plus a hefty fine. 

In my own cases this year, it's been a crapshoot.  About half the time, I'm asked to show 20,000 baht (equivalent) and not quite every time, asked to prove an onward flight.  Not 100%, but often enough that I won't show up at the departure check-in without both.

You may be right, it may be delegated.  But in years past, I've also seen a lot of stories of immigration themselves asking for proof if they encounter a passenger that they don't like the looks of.  (I hope my grammar teachers will forgive me)

Edit:  BTW, so far this year, nobody has asked me to show a hotel booking.  Did that requirement go by the wayside, or was that a figment of my imagination?

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, treetops said:

It's unlikely immigration will ask for proof of onward travel, but they will want to see your passport and boarding pass.  Knowing what passport and/or visa you hold may get you more information.

Why would they want to see the boarding pass you used at ,say, Heathrow. when you are now in Thailand? It is a BOARDING Pass, not an Entry permission.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

They want to see the country your flight originated. This info used to be written on TM6 arrival card which is no longer used. 

I'd much rather just show my boarding pass then fill out the TM6 again

Yeh, the TM6 took so long to fill in, 5 minutes of a 6 hour flight. Finding a pen usually took longer.

And it is THAN , not THEN.

• Sad 6

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why would they want to see the boarding pass you used at ,say, Heathrow. when you are now in Thailand? It is a BOARDING Pass, not an Entry permission.

I actually don't know; however, when coming in last time (August 10th), the immigration officer here in Chiangmai asked for my boarding ticket/pass.  Rather no big deal but, given one is immediately off an international flight, one would think one would have the boarding pass easily available (if asked for it).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Just an update on technology for all the people insisting airlines will require an onward flight.

My check-in last month was all self serve and I never spoke to an actual person at check-in. The boarding pass/baggage tag machine also didn't ask me for an onward filght

As I said above, for me it's been a crapshoot.  Sometimes I've been asked for it, sometimes not.  If the flight was the first leg of a R/T ticket on the same airline, not surprisingly they already knew I had an exit ticket.  It's also related to the type of visa.  If you have a long stay visa, obviously they don't need to see an exit flight within 30 days.

BTW, same with the 20,000 baht (equivalent).  Some asked to see it.  Some didn't. One asked if I had it, but didn't even ask to see it.  YMMV.

Do what you want, but at your own risk.  I've also seen people get declined, step to the side and buy an onward ticket on their phone.  Then all was good.

Edited by impulse

49 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I actually don't know; however, when coming in last time (August 10th), the immigration officer here in Chiangmai asked for my boarding ticket/pass.  Rather no big deal but, given one is immediately off an international flight, one would think one would have the boarding pass easily available (if asked for it).

I can see where they'd want to know where you just came from, and what time your flight arrived.  And if you had a boarding pass for a flight that arrived 8 hours ago, I suspect they'd have some questions...

I've always just handed my passport and boarding pass to the IO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Just an update on technology for all the people insisting airlines will require an onward flight.

My check-in last month was all self serve and I never spoke to an actual person at check-in. The boarding pass/baggage tag machine also didn't ask me for an onward filght ????

But if you change planes like I had to onto EVA in VIE you might find staff will ask. They don't want the costs of repatriating you if rejected. (It hasn't been 'delegated'. It's self protection.) They were happy when I told them I'd be going for a Non-O retirement visa when I got there. Of course being older I look the part ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

As I said above, for me it's been a crapshoot.  Sometimes I've been asked for it, sometimes not.  If the flight was the first leg of a R/T ticket on the same airline, not surprisingly they already knew I had an exit ticket.  It's also related to the type of visa.  If you have a long stay visa, obviously they don't need to see an exit flight within 30 days.

BTW, same with the 20,000 baht (equivalent).  Some asked to see it.  Some didn't. One asked if I had it, but didn't even ask to see it.  YMMV.

Do what you want, but at your own risk.  I've also seen people get declined, step to the side and buy an onward ticket on their phone.  Then all was good.

I always pick up €600 at departure airport. I'm gonna spend it anyway, and Super Rich gives good rates - even better for large denominations.

And if need be onward flight.com can be booked at the departure desk in seconds.

Edited by BusyB
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

Some airlines do not now give paper boarding passes, only on your phone.

At Immigration, it says to turn your phone OFF!   555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Some airlines do not now give paper boarding passes, only on your phone.

At Immigration, it says to turn your phone OFF!   555

I've never turned off my phone.  I just don't use it to answer calls or take photos in the queue.

I've pulled it out and looked at it a couple of times when the IO asked me how long I'd be staying, because it has my itinerary.  But I've never had to show it to them to prove my outbound flight.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

In my own cases this year, it's been a crapshoot.  About half the time, I'm asked to show 20,000 baht (equivalent) and not quite every time, asked to prove an onward flight.  Not 100%, but often enough that I won't show up at the departure check-in without both.

Wow, you are the first person I've ever heard about that had to show 20,000 baht at airport departure and you say they ask uou half the time

57 minutes ago, BusyB said:

I always pick up €600 at departure airport. I'm gonna spend it anyway, and Super Rich gives good rates - even better for large denominations.

And if need be onward flight.com can be booked at the departure desk in seconds.

Stepping away to buy a onwardflight.com ticket only works if its during business hours and the office is open. After hours you cant get the ticket until the office is open again. Just happened to me this week. 

Edited by Dan O
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dan O said:

Stepping away to buy a ticket only works if its during business hours and the office is open. After hours you cant get the ticket until the office is open again. Just happened to me this week. 

You can buy one on Orbitz and cancel for free within 24 hours.  At least those are their published T&C's.  I've never cancelled one to find out.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

You can buy one on Orbitz and cancel for free within 24 hours.  At least those are their published T&C's.  I've never cancelled one to find out.

I was referring to the comment about onwardflight.com and added that to my response. Many real airlines and brokers allow canceling a ticket within 24 hours. Rent a ticket sites aren't real airlines

• Like 1

The reason (and most people wont be aware) for the increased "interest" from the airlines is that fines to carriers (to any destination) have increased now five fold up to a maximum of $10,000 for an "immigration decline" plus the obvious cost of having to immediately fly you back to the original destination

Whether at check in thats visas, available cash to satisfy immigration if asked or this practice of "onward tickets" the airline are taking quite rightfully closer interest

Those "onwards tickets" are getting closer and closer examination. Read any of the flyer forums to see how many are putting themselves at peril at check in of being offloaded and then being forced to buy a proper ticket at huge expense on the spot

Those fines add up to the carriers and they dont want them obviously

• Thumbs Up 1