UK: Met police request support from army after officers down firearms

Social Media

4 minutes ago, transam said:

What are you on about....? :saai:

Sorry, I was simply posting a statement from the Opening Post article that gives the reason why around 100 officers have refused their normal armed duty. “ in protest at the charging of their colleague with murder.”

which conflicts with your own statement “Around 100 armed officers have laid down their arms over they maybe charged with murder if they have to use firearms...”

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Looks like most of them are back on duty now:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66909729

Thanks for that linked article.

Here’s something interesting.

Over a period in which nationally armed officers were called out to 18395 incidents, only 10 resulted in police firing shots at a person.

That’s 0.054% of of armed officer call outs a shot was fired by police at a person. 

Basically the police almost never fire their weapons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Sorry, I was simply posting a statement from the Opening Post article that gives the reason why around 100 officers have refused their normal armed duty. “ in protest at the charging of their colleague with murder.”

which conflicts with your own statement “Around 100 armed officers have laid down their arms over they maybe charged with murder if they have to use firearms...”

I imagine they withdrew from duty because they know exactly what happened that day, and know what a dangerous criminal that guy was, and therefore the danger the officers were confronted with.

Pulling the trigger is an incredibly hard decision to make under that sort of pressure. And now they could end up on a murder charge. 

This was a violent man with criminal history around guns. He took his own life when he decided to ram the police blockade. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I imagine they withdrew from duty because they know exactly what happened that day, and know what a dangerous criminal that guy was, and therefore the danger the officers were confronted with.

Pulling the trigger is an incredibly hard decision to make under that sort of pressure. And now they could end up on a murder charge. 

This was a violent man with criminal history around guns. He took his own life when he decided to ram the police blockade. 

I doubt over 100 armed officers were  at the scene and don’t feel inclined to imagine they were.

The officer who shot him in the head took his life, it’s now to be determined by a court of law if he did so lawfully or not.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Absolute waste of time. He'll rightly be found not guilty - unless his 'peers' are all 18-25 year old black pot smoking, gun totting, gang affiliated, Drill rapping, unemployed county line thugs

Sadly, I wouldn't dismiss that possibility offhand...

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:28 AM, Social Media said:

on Sunday to ask the military for help.

The latest on this (today 26 September 2023)

The Army has been stood down from supporting the Metropolitan Police after hundreds of officers stepped back from firearms duties.

Soldiers were put on standby .......................... but the Met said on Monday that enough (police officers) had returned to duty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66909729

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Have I upset you in some way ?

This last week you seem to have been following me around forums making snidey comments .

What did I say that upset you ?

You post and don't like my replies, shame, crack on "new" bloke.....:whistling:

On 9/25/2023 at 12:20 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Link?

https://www.ft.com/content/fb212733-5184-47a1-95ad-03fb4751362b

According to the IOPC, the bullet was fired as officers attempted to “stop and contain” the vehicle being driven by Kaba. CPR was administered and the London Ambulance Service were called for additional support. Kaba, who was an expectant father, later died in hospital.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:53 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

I doubt over 100 armed officers were  at the scene and don’t feel inclined to imagine they were.

The officer who shot him in the head took his life, it’s now to be determined by a court of law if he did so lawfully or not.

I'm sure over 100 armed officers were not at the scene but these smaller groups of firearms officers are and have to be in close contact with each other, via radio and other means. Other groups remote from the incident would have known about it almost immediately.

Yes, agree that justice needs to prevail.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:24 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Do you think that the Police should have the legal right to shoot people in the head and instantly kill them for driving offences (and the suspicion that they were involved in gun crimes) ?

If the suspect refuses to stop on police orders and there is sufficient evidence that the suspect is a danger to the public yes, absolutely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

According to the IOPC, the bullet was fired as officers attempted to “stop and contain” the vehicle being driven by Kaba. CPR was administered and the London Ambulance Service were called for additional support. Kaba, who was an expectant father, later died in hospital.

Don't see what being an "expectant father" has to do with it. Plenty of criminals are fathers, which is a shame.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does sound racist, IMO..

A guy with previous jail time for gun convictions, rams a police road block in a car that what used in a gun crime the previous day and it was all because he was black ????.

• Thumbs Up 1