Moving from Australia to Thailand

Hugh Cow

I am looking at moving my household furniture etc from Brisbane to Bangkok. I want to do door to door so I need a shipping agent to do either a full or partial container load door to door. I want a reliable company that will organise handle the shipping and paperwork. Is their any good reccommendations out there? Any experience with companies used that were good will be appreciated.

Hi Bruce,

You would be best to go and visit a few of the businesses that offer this service. Actually drive to their site. Meet them and take a look around. Ask them do they have any boxes at the moment on the way to Thailand or overseas and ask them to show you. 

I think you get a better feel for them this way and can make a decision

You must clarify who pays what when the stuff hits the port near bangkok re taxes. Its often an envelope of money required by the so called 'agent' this end to get things through. Happened to me. Very common requirement. 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Go pay a consultant then, bye.

they are called clearing agents ... not consultants ..........   Perhaps you live in a world with no objects or art in your life that enhance your life and that you choose to live with  ........ bye then !     

To the OP .....  you are looking for a freight forwarding agent .......  your Aussie agent will have agents in Thailand to facilitate the export and customs clearance in Thailand . Davies Turner are a large uk based Company who have agents all over the world .... I have used them for 15 years , they probably operate out of Australia too ... worth a try 

• Thanks 1

I used a company based in Bangkok called Thai Movers Ltd. to move from Thailand to Perth in 2019.  Seems it does the reverse move as well.

Not cheap but a first class job.  Packing was done by them and the goods arrived in Perth quickly - nothing broken.  Company arranged everything including the Australian sub-contractor.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Celsius said:

Off topic, so don't get triggered.

I always wondered how people would use their furniture in new surroundings. It literally makes zero sense moving furniture to a 3rd world tropical country, especially to a place like Bangkok unless you live in one of those 100 million baht climate controlled villas.

I have many things that have a sentimental value that i wish to take. My lounge furniture is not one of them. I haved many hand carved items and nick nacks i wish to have in the new house that I will be building on my return. I am just deciding on how much to take depending on whether I have a PCL or FCL. I do know when you get to 5 plus cubic metres its probably better to get an FCL. I have been involved in importing equipment from Oz to Thailand in the distant pass and was just after a good reliable shipping agent. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We had Allied Pickford handle the Brisbane packing/despatch and Bangkok port receiving/clearance and delivered our 20 foot container to Nan and unloaded. Absolutely superb service with the Bangkok to Nan portion being much less cost than you would expect even with four staff in the truck. Also we negotiated the insurance cost down by half by only wanting coverage for total loss, rather than loss or damage. We were also fortunate in being able to do the transaction in my Thai wife's name since she had lived for a time in Australia. Made customs/excise going very smooth. We were able to track the ship...Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Singapore, KL and Chonburi (I think)...a real old slow boat to Thailand trip.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

I did same about 15 years ago, i used a company called "GRACE" removalists from Brisbane

https://www.grace.com.au/brisbane-removalists/

most use useful thing i brought was a full size Weber BBQ, they are crazy expensive in Thailand.

Just make sure that the removalist does door to door because if you allow a local agent to be appointed the locals can gouge you on costs.

20 hours ago, Celsius said:

Off topic, so don't get triggered.

I always wondered how people would use their furniture in new surroundings. It literally makes zero sense moving furniture to a 3rd world tropical country, especially to a place like Bangkok unless you live in one of those 100 million baht climate controlled villas.

Yes, Im so glad I brought my pot belly stove with me to Isaan.????

The CRA agreement between Australia and Thailand is now activated which means if you stay here more than 180 days a year, you are liable for tax in Thailand.  The Thai tax department will automatically get your financial info from Aussy gov.  Suggest to go to another country.