UK premium bonds

17 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Do anyone have they monthly premium bonds winnings paid into they Wise account ?.

With all this palava with the UK banks debarking us expats living here, I what to cover all possibilities. 

WINNINGS? What are they?

Off topic, but Wise connected. I just sent GBP 20,000 from my Bangkok Bank Foreign Currency account to Wise on Friday. It just arrived.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:39 AM, GoRover said:

Is it possible to buy UK premium bonds using a Thai address (I'm from the UK, but living in Thailand)? 

Yes you can, but any winnings can only be paid into a UK bank account.

l have Premium Bonds and l purchased some more whilst living in Thailand, also when l informed them of a change of address within Thailand, they called me to check my identity.

You can also open a Premium Bond account in Thailand, my wife has done so. You cannot open an account if it’s illegal in your country of residence, some US States for instance.

https://www.nsandi.com/help/join-nsandi/using-nsandi-outside-uk

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 5:54 PM, KannikaP said:

And if you want to do the National Lottery, set up a Direct Debit from a UK bank when you are in UK and it is Valid.

Presumably that is by setting up an account. Good luck on getting paid out if you hit the jackpot. This from the "Terms and Rules":-

"– You can only use Your Account when You are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man. If You use Your Account to play Games when You are not physically located in the UK or Isle of Man, Camelot will not be liable to pay a Prize to You in respect of those Games (see Section 2.6)."

I buy a ticket for the maximum number of weeks (4?) when I'm there, but I wouldn't waste my money on an account. They're not stupid.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Presumably that is by setting up an account. Good luck on getting paid out if you hit the jackpot. This from the "Terms and Rules":-

"– You can only use Your Account when You are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man. If You use Your Account to play Games when You are not physically located in the UK or Isle of Man, Camelot will not be liable to pay a Prize to You in respect of those Games (see Section 2.6)."

I buy a ticket for the maximum number of weeks (4?) when I'm there, but I wouldn't waste my money on an account. They're not stupid.

I shall give them a bell and ask. Thanks for the post.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I shall give them a bell and ask. Thanks for the post.

I asked Bingle and got this back from Nat Lott.

Bing

If you are abroad and win the National Lottery, you will be able to claim your prize as long as you haven't made any changes to your direct debit details while you were out of the country . However, it is important to note that you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when using your account, including when setting up or amending a Direct Debit. So, if you set up a Direct Debit in the UK before going abroad and haven't made any changes to it while you were away, you should be able to claim your prize. Good luck! ????

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Bing

If you are abroad and win the National Lottery, you will be able to claim your prize as long as you haven't made any changes to your direct debit details while you were out of the country . However, it is important to note that you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when using your account, including when setting up or amending a Direct Debit. So, if you set up a Direct Debit in the UK before going abroad and haven't made any changes to it while you were away, you should be able to claim your prize. Good luck! ????

Not to mention small prizes are paid automatically into your bank account anyway. I think only prizes of 100,000gpb (I could be wrong on the exact threshold...) need to be claimed in person. And that sort of money is worth getting on a plane for.

5 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Not to mention small prizes are paid automatically into your bank account anyway. I think only prizes of 100,000gpb (I could be wrong on the exact threshold...) need to be claimed in person. And that sort of money is worth getting on a plane for.

It used to be £50k, but has probably gone up to £100k, which is worth about the same these days.

As for getting on a plane, if it was a biggy, they would possibly ask to see your passport, utility bills etc etc. But if you say you are living with various different family members...........who knows until that big one comes along.

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Bing

Fair enough. As they say, good luck.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Bing

Bully for Bing. I don't want to start an argument, but on this page:-

Help & contact us | The National Lottery (national-lottery.co.uk) - I found this:-

"Can I play if I’m not in the UK or Isle of Man?

To be able to log into and use your National Lottery account you need to be physically in the UK or Isle of Man.

You are not permitted to purchase entries into National Lottery games whilst situated outside of the UK or IOM. Subject to the residency requirement, entries into games you purchased before leaving the UK or IOM will not be affected, however you will not be entitled to claim any prizes associated with entries purchased whilst you are outside the UK or IOM.

If you set up a Direct Debit before leaving the UK and are still a UK or IOM resident these tickets will still be valid.

If you are not a resident of the UK or IOM, you are not eligible to play The National Lottery online or on the app, even when you are visiting the UK or IOM. The National Lottery website uses Experian to perform an E-identity check to ensure players are UK or IOM residents. You can however play in store at one of our retail outlets, although you will be required to return to the UK to claim any prize won.

We determine residency by considering whether someone has been physically located in the UK or IOM for more than 183 days in the previous 12 months."

My interpretation of the line in bold print is that a non-resident is not entitled to open an online account, even if doing so in the UK. If someone can satisfy the Experian check I'm sure they will be happy to take your money. They might be a bit more rigorous when it comes to paying out 50 or 100 million. I think I'll stick to buying a ticket when I'm there.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Bully for Bing. I don't want to start an argument, but on this page:-

Help & contact us | The National Lottery (national-lottery.co.uk) - I found this:-

"Can I play if I’m not in the UK or Isle of Man?

To be able to log into and use your National Lottery account you need to be physically in the UK or Isle of Man.

You are not permitted to purchase entries into National Lottery games whilst situated outside of the UK or IOM. Subject to the residency requirement, entries into games you purchased before leaving the UK or IOM will not be affected, however you will not be entitled to claim any prizes associated with entries purchased whilst you are outside the UK or IOM.

If you set up a Direct Debit before leaving the UK and are still a UK or IOM resident these tickets will still be valid.

If you are not a resident of the UK or IOM, you are not eligible to play The National Lottery online or on the app, even when you are visiting the UK or IOM. The National Lottery website uses Experian to perform an E-identity check to ensure players are UK or IOM residents. You can however play in store at one of our retail outlets, although you will be required to return to the UK to claim any prize won.

We determine residency by considering whether someone has been physically located in the UK or IOM for more than 183 days in the previous 12 months."

My interpretation of the line in bold print is that a non-resident is not entitled to open an online account, even if doing so in the UK. If someone can satisfy the Experian check I'm sure they will be happy to take your money. They might be a bit more rigorous when it comes to paying out 50 or 100 million. I think I'll stick to buying a ticket when I'm there.

Thank you for this. The rules really need to be looked at very carefully, but you have done that and I appreciate it. However, it does say you must be physically in UK to log into your account. Not if you have a VPN to the UK, I just did it to see I won £4.10 last Tuesday!

I shall be deleting my Direct Debit, even though I get small winnings now & then, which are paid into my bank, I would not like to win a big one and be refused payment. Cheers.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Last month I won 2 x £50 prizes I have 50,000 bonds.

Today I again won 2 x £50 prizes and somewhat amazingly, it was the same 2 numbers (out of 50,000, and chosen randomly) that won!!!!

I find this unvbelievable. What are the odds of this happening.

I believe something is very rwrong with the random choosing of winning numbers