New Bangkok terminal opens, and looks like they need it!

snoop1130

380053695_895240175295580_4455886283549707572_n-1536x864.jpg

The new SAT-1 satellite terminal is now set to open at Suvarnabhumi on September 28, a key component of the Suvarnabhumi Airport’s Phase-2 development. The new terminal adds 250,000 square metres of new gates, seating areas and refreshment stores. The new Midfield Satellite Building will increase the BKK airport’s annual passenger total throughput from 45 million to 60 million passengers.

The timing co-incides with the first day of the new visa-waiver travel for Chinese and Kazakh travellers – an initiative from the new Thai PM. Today’s introduction of visa-free travel for citizens from the two countries is hoped to increase tourism as Thailand battles to woo back tourists in the post-pandemic era.

The visa-waiver for the two counties will run until the end of February next year and allows them an initial stay for up to 30 days.

By Peter Roche

Caption: PHOTO: New SAT-1 terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport - Richard Barrow

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-09-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The visa-waiver for the two counties will run until the end of February next year and allows them an initial stay for up to 30 days.

Which two counties are these please. And after February, will they close the terminal?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Modern airports use trains and subways to get you to and from those remote terminals, not 10 miles of moving walkways. 

i believe there is a shuttle 'train' / auto people mover unmanned 

Edited by steve187
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If you can't be bothered to click a link to read an article (which has a description of the underground APM and also pictures), then please don't bother to comment, just move along - you are ridiculous, sorry.

I clicked the link and apart from the photo of some kind of transport ( just guessing) I too am none the wiser.

There was reference to some underground transport though ....

You get to and from the new terminal from the main building via a driverless underground shuttle which runs to and from the main terminal almost continuously.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

I clicked the link and apart from the photo of some kind of transport ( just guessing) I too am none the wiser.

There was reference to some underground transport though ....

You get to and from the new terminal from the main building via a driverless underground shuttle which runs to and from the main terminal almost continuously.

Sounds like the same kind of inter-terminal transport as they have in Dubai. What's not to understand? 

Can't figure out if this terminal has its own immigration points. If not, surely all the new arrivals will just be shovelled through the existing points. What a total disaster! And will it link to the airport link, or just be stranded out there a mile from anywhere?

Coming through at 2345 Saturday night from Manila, whole place deserted. There were more immigration officers than passengers. Note to airlines: try scheduling your flights outside rush hours. Spread the load. Airport authorities also note.

Edited by bradiston
  • Confused 1

No Immigration in SAT1, INT-INT connections possible (I think).

APM details: I think they have some of these already, not sure if they have all six two-car trains.

Automated people mover details
The APM system will be a 5km line comprising four parallel tracks and two stations. It will be serviced by six two-car units that can move between the main terminal and SAT-1 within three minutes per ride at a maximum speed of 80km/h.

https://www.airport-technology.com/projects/suvarnabhumi-international-airport-sat-1-thailand/#:~:text=Automated people mover details,maximum speed of 80km%2Fh.

https://bangkokairporttrain.com/suvarnabhumi-unmanned-train/

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

No Immigration in SAT1, INT-INT connections possible (I think).

APM details: I think they have some of these already, not sure if they have all six two-car trains.

Automated people mover details
The APM system will be a 5km line comprising four parallel tracks and two stations. It will be serviced by six two-car units that can move between the main terminal and SAT-1 within three minutes per ride at a maximum speed of 80km/h.

https://www.airport-technology.com/projects/suvarnabhumi-international-airport-sat-1-thailand/#:~:text=Automated people mover details,maximum speed of 80km%2Fh.

https://bangkokairporttrain.com/suvarnabhumi-unmanned-train/

Will there be a 'tip box'?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

From the grapevine; the construction was awarded to a company which is owned by the family of former health minister Anutin Charnvirakul. Today, the latter "serves" as interior minister and is even closer to the flesh pots of Siam. I think we shall hear more of the government's decision on infrastructure construction - possibly not to the disadvantage of previously chosen enterprises, which did said airport, the parliament/government house etc. ???? 
Still better than to award it to those money-hungry red brethren from the North, right? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, gargamon said:

Modern airports use trains and subways to get you to and from those remote terminals, not 10 miles of moving walkways. 

North Satellite terminal at Hong Kong, and the satellite terminal at Heathrow Terminal 3 both use moving walkways. Hong Kong uses a skybridge, and Heathrow an underpass.

(Just listing ones I've actually used).

• Like 1

Well, a people moving/processing system is only as good as its busiest milost congested point, ie immigration. So moving 1000s of passengers fast from outlying terminals to one central immigration point is just plain mad. If they can't cope with the volume as it stands, adding another 4 train loads a minute or hour is not going to work. They should build another immigration processing terminal.

Just my 300 THB landing fees worth

Edited by bradiston

Lovely building but if immigration counters remain empty, with rude and slow staff, or long queues at arrival or departure at  remain, the image will stil be bad.

Time to stop having the Immigration rule the country and take things over to make arrival and departure more respectful towards travellers.